Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: esias ( )
Date: September 26, 2012 12:54PM

King presents gift: We are three wise men.

Mary: What?

We are three wise men.

Mary: Well what are doing creeping around in this house at two o’clock in the morning? That doesn’t sound very wise to me. (Monty Python’s Life of Brian 1979 starring John Cleese et al)

Homage? You’re all drunk. It’s disgusting. Out! ibid. Mary

Wise man: We were led by a star.

Mary: Led by the bottle more like. ibid.

What is Myrrh anyway? A balm? What are you giving him a balm for? It might bite him. ibid. Mary

We worship you, O, Brian. ibid. Three wise men

Let’s go to the stoning. ibid. Mother of Brian to Brian

I can’t hear a bloody thing. ibid. Man in crowd

I think it was blessed are the cheese-makers. ibid.

Blessed are the Greek. ibid.

Oh it’s the meek. Blessed are the meek. Oh that’s nice. I’m glad they’re getting something cause they’ve had a hell of a time. ibid. Women in crowd

Feel the quality of that ... Should be a good one this afternoon. Local boy. Enjoy yourselves. ibid. Stone-seller

How could it be worse? Jehovah! ibid. Blasphemer

Miracle. Jesus did, sir. ibid. Ex-leper begging arms

Coliseum: Children’s Matinee. ibid. At the games

Brian: Are you the Judean People’s Front?

Reg: Fuck off! Judean People’s Front! We’re the People’s Front of Judea. Judean People’s Front cor!

Other bloke: Wankers.

I hate the Romans as much as anybody. ibid. Brian

The only people we hate more than the Romans are the fucking Judean People’s Front. ibid. Reg

Roman Soldier seizes Brian tagging: What’s this then? Romanes Eunt Domus? ... Romane. Eunt? What is eunt? Conjugated verb to be go? Eunt. So Eunt is? But Romans God Homes is an order so you must use? ... An order so you must use the ... Which is... Go home. This is motion towards, isn’t it, boy ... Which is Domum! Understand? Now write out hundred times. (also Latin) ibid.

Reg: And what have they given us in return? ... I grant you the aqueducts and the sanitation ... All right but apart from the sanitation the medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, the fresh water system, public health, what are the Romans ever done for us? ibid.

Man on wall to Brian: You lucky bastard. You lucky lucky bastard. Proper little jailor’s pet aren’t we. We must have slipped him a few shekels, eh? Oh what wouldn’t I give to be spat at in the face? ... Manacles? My idea of heaven is to allowed to be put in manacles just for a few hours ... They must think the sun shines out of your arse, son ... You’ll probably get away with crucifixion. Yeah, first offence. Best thing Romans ever done for us ... Nail em up, I say. ibid.

Centurian: Throw him to the floor, sir? ibid.

Centurian: Biggus Dickus. ibid.

Centurian: Crucifixion. Nasty, eh?

Old man: Could be worse.

Centurian: What do you mean could be worse?

Old man: Well could be stabbed.

Centurian: Stabbed takes a second. Crucifixion last hours. It’s a slow horrible death.

Old Man: Well at least it gets you out in the open air.

Centurian; You’re weird. ibid.

Man in crowd: He’s making it up as he goes along. ibid.

John Cleese as man in crowd: Speak to us, master. Speak to us. A blessing! A blessing! How shall we go away, master? He has given us a sign. He has brought us to this place. Master, your people have walked many miles to be with you. They’re weary and have not eaten. There is no food in this high mountain. A miracle! A miracle! ... Is not the miracle of the juniper bushes enough? ... A miracle! A miracle! ... He is the messiah ... Hail, messiah. I say you are, Lord, and I should know I’ve followed a few. Hail, messiah ... How shall we fuck off, O Lord? This is the messiah the chosen one. ibid.

Brian! Brian! ibid. Crowd outside house

They believe he can give them hope. ibid. Naked Judith meets mother

Listen here. He’s not the messiah. He’s a very naughty boy. ibid. Brian’s mother to crowd

He’s not coming out and that’s my final word. ibid.

Crowd: Yes we are individuals. Yes we are all different.

Voice in crowd: I’m not. ibid.

Don’t let anyone tell you what to do. Crowd

Piss off. ibid. Mother of Brian to crowd

Woman at hem of Brian: Lay your hands on me. Quick. ibid.

Well, Bwian. You’ve given us a good wun for our money ... Guard, do we have any cwucifixions today? ibid. Pontius Pilot

Unless we can smash the Roman Empire in the next twelve months. And let’s face it, as empires go this is the big one. ibid. Meeting of People’s Front of Judea

Centurian: Next. Crucifixion? Good. Out of the door, line on the left. One cross each. Next. Crucifixion, yes? Good. Out of the door, line on the left. One cross each. Next. Crucifixion? [No, freedom] What? Oh, Well that’s jolly good well off you go then.

Crucifixee: No only pulling your leg. Crucifixion really. ibid.

Pontius Pilot to crowd ... Wery well. I shall release Woderwick. ibid.

Excuse me. There’s been some sort of mistake. ibid. Brain to Centurian

Centurian: It’s such a senseless waste of human life, isn’t’ it?

Sideling: No, sir. ibid.

Get a move on, big nose. There’s people waiting to be Crucified out there. Her-her-her ... Miserable Romans. No sense of humour. ibid. Crucifixee

Pontius Pilot to crowd: This man commands a quack legion.

Centurian to Crucifixees. Crucifixion party. Good morning. Now, we will be on show as we go through the town so don’t let the side down. Keep in a good straight line. ibid.

You lucky bastards. You lucky jammy bastards. ibid. Old man in cell now hanging upside down to passing Crucifixees

Welease Bwian. ibid. Crowd

Centurian whipping Crucifixee: Get a move on there. Or you’ll be in trouble. Shut up! ibid.

Man on cross to Centurian: I’ll get you for this, ya bastard. Aawl yeah don’t worry, I never forget a face. I warn you. I’m going to punch you so hard, you Roman git. ibid.

Other man on cross: A Samaritan? This is supposed to be a Jewish section. ibid.

Hands up all those who don’t want to be crucified here. Next! ibid.

You don’t have to do this. You don’t have to take orders. ibid. Brian to guards

See not so bad once your up. You being rescued then are ya? Ooo naah naah we got a couple of days up here. Plenty of time. Lots of people get rescued. Oh yeah my brother usually rescues me. ibid. Neighbour on cross

Always look on the bright side of life etc. ibid.

For life is quite absurd
And death’s the final word
You must always face the curtain with a bow ... ibid.

... Always look on the bright side of death.
Just before your draw your terminal breath.

Chapter 2:

Jesus makes large claims for his heavenly father but never mentions that his mother is or was a virgin, and is repeatedly very rude and coarse to her when she makes an appearance. (Christopher Hitchens)

I would be curious to meet him. To find out what really happened. (Professor Richard Dawkins, BBC Radio Ulster)

Why’s didn’t he just forgive them? Why was it necessary to have a human sacrifice? To have His son tortured and executed in order that the sins of mankind should be absolved? Is that not the most disgusting idea you ever heard? (Professor Richard Dawkins, interview Nicky Campbell, Big Questions: Is The Bible Still Relevant Today?)

It is wholly wrong to blame Marx for what was done in his name, as it is to blame Jesus for what was done in his. (Tony Benn)

We just ask that they be covered with the blood of Jesus. (Heidi Ewing & Rachel Grady, Jesus Camp 2006, Pastor Becky Fischer, Fischer’s preparatory prayer over empty meeting hall)

Speculating about Jesus, thinking about Jesus, is always going to have a fantastic appeal. (Joan Taylor, author and historian)

Was Jesus blootered when he threw the money lenders out the temple? (Ian Pattison, Rab C Nesbitt: Fight, Rab at pub table)

I know there was a Jesus the man. I know there was an actual human being called Jesus. But he’s not the Jesus you have in your head. Is he? No. The actual Jesus - if you think of the part of the world where he lived in, and the average height of men in those days - fucking Danny DaVito. That’s what you’re talking about: a small little tanned furry-kind of ... He’s not the Jesus you have in your head though. Yours is an eight-foot-tall BG Jesus. (Tommy Tiernan, Irish comedian, live on stage)

God had a son, and he said, ‘Jesus, I’m sending you on a suicide mission. But don’t worry. They can’t kill you cause you’re really me.’ (Bill Maher, ABC television)

I think Jesus was probably an awkward teenager. (Bill Maher, Religulous)

No-one who wrote about Jesus ever met him. ibid.

Written in 1280 B.C. The Egyptian Book of the Dead describes a god Horus. Horus is the son of the god Osiris. Born to a virgin mother. He was baptised in a river by Anup the Baptiser. Who was later beheaded. Like Jesus, Horus was tempted while alone in the desert. Healed the sick. The blind. Cast out demons. And walked on water. He raised Asar from the dead (Asar translates to Lazarus). Oh year, he also had twelve disciples. Yes, Horus was crucified first. And after three days, two women announced Horus, the saviour of humanity, had been resurrected. ibid.

Not until gentle Jesus meek and mild is the concept of Hell introduced. Eternal torture, eternal punishment, for you and all your family for the smallest transgression. I have no hesitation in saying this is a wicked belief. (Christopher Hitchens, Christopher Hitchens vs. Reverend Al Sharpton)

If Jesus could heal a blind person he happened to meet, then why not heal blindness? Christopher Hitchens

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Darwin's FInches ( )
Date: September 26, 2012 01:14PM

What has the Mormon cult got to do with Jesus? Good laugh, thanks for posting - that takes me back!

Posted by: lucky ( )
Date: September 26, 2012 04:39PM

George Harrison was into eastern religion. He felt that Xtianity was a load of Garbage so he bank rolled "The Life of Brian".
Just like MORmONISM its a total mockery of Christianity done on the sly, even though the approaches are different. The message goes right over most MORmON'S heads. They think its great. many even memorize the dialogue,because they like it so much , even as they miss the real message.

SOme really stupid MORmON apologists posted some MP clips on youtube declaring that they practically made fun of anti Mormons. A person would have to be a REAL MORmON in order for that to make *sense*. They got their asses handed to them when some simple modification of other clips were very effective at MOCKING MORmONS and their MORmON ways.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkjiS3Tv7zQ

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: September 26, 2012 09:01PM

Actually George Harrison was very clear that he was NOT mocking Jesus. He was producing a comedy and while it was based on Jesus, it was clear that it was about a reluctant messiah named Brian, not Jesus. I know a lot of Christians who thought it was hilarious and who were not offended.

Date: September 27, 2012 02:36AM

yah, George Harrison was very clear that he was not mocking Christ..... just like Gordon Hinckley has been very clear that MORmONISM has nothing to do with polygamy, and that MORmONS never speak negatively of other (dispicable hopelessly apostate) churches (that the Book of MORmON says must be of the devil).
Hinckley was very clear about that!

(Of course, George was not openly looking for Christian wrath, look at what happened to John Lennon.)

thanks for clearing that up and correcting me !

Date: September 27, 2012 05:30PM

I'll take his word over yours if you don't mind.

Posted by: No Mo ( )
Date: September 27, 2012 06:27PM

bona dea Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'll take his word over yours if you don't mind.

I will take Harrison's words over yours also. Do you have source? I can't find it.

The film was banned by Ireland and Norway as well as dozens of municipalities in England as it was. The cast was quite aware that they could not satirize Jesus directly, but the original premise was "Jesus Christ's Lust For Glory".

Harrison was quite aware of what happened in 1966 when John Lennon mentioned in an interview that the Beatles were more popular than Jesus. The decline of Xianity was a common subject in the sixties. Time magazine had a cover that said "God is Dead".

The Beatles were threatened, interviews were cancelled, records were publically burned by intolerant, militant Xians.

Harrison put up his house to finance "Brian". I am sure that he was very aware of the problems with satirizing Jesus and the consequences. He also knew that the original premise was "Jesus Christ's Lust For Glory".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/27/2012 06:39PM by No Mo.

Posted by: No Mo ( )
Date: September 27, 2012 06:35PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/27/2012 06:36PM by No Mo.

Posted by: The exmo formerly known as Br. Vreeland ( )
Date: September 26, 2012 05:03PM

way back when in the area of Israel. May have even been a small time political/religious leader. I was friends with a guy in junior high school named Jesus. Nice guy, I definitely believe in him.

Posted by: mindlight ( )
Date: September 26, 2012 05:08PM

I believe in many things I cannot see with these eyes.

Posted by: rainwriter ( )
Date: September 26, 2012 05:15PM

I was mostly agnostic before joining the church; I liked the idea of Christianity just as I liked the idea of other religions. I believed that there was truth and value in all of them, and that if a group of people wanted to attribute those truths and values to Jesus over someone/thing else, that was totally fine. I'm floating back to something similar now.

Posted by: jesuscrisco ( )
Date: September 26, 2012 05:15PM

Nope. Jesus has been added to the list of things I used to be sure about and no longer believe in. Also included are:

Easter Bunny
Tooth Fairy
Santa
Missile Shield
Every vote counts
UFOs operated by extraterrestrials

You get the idea

Posted by: notsurewhattothink ( )
Date: September 26, 2012 10:14PM

Democracy
Freedom of Speech
Human Rights....

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: September 26, 2012 09:11PM

The only thing which is certain about the existence of the supernatural is that people want to believe in the existence of the supernatural.

Posted by: Kismet ( )
Date: September 26, 2012 10:08PM

I don't even believe in historical Jesus anymore, much less that he was the son of God.

I recommend the book Nailed: Ten Christian Myths That Show Jesus Never Existed at All, by David Fitzgerald. That's the one that pretty much convinced me.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: September 26, 2012 09:17PM

You wrote:
"Written in 1280 B.C. The Egyptian Book of the Dead describes a god Horus. Horus is the son of the god Osiris. Born to a virgin mother. He was baptised in a river by Anup the Baptiser. Who was later beheaded. Like Jesus, Horus was tempted while alone in the desert. Healed the sick. The blind. Cast out demons. And walked on water. He raised Asar from the dead (Asar translates to Lazarus). Oh year, he also had twelve disciples. Yes, Horus was crucified first. And after three days, two women announced Horus, the saviour of humanity, had been resurrected. ibid."

Do you have a source for that? I used to hear things like that about Mithra, which turned out not to be factual. So, I've become skeptical of easy parallels to other mythologies. I'm an atheist, btw.

Posted by: rise ( )
Date: September 26, 2012 09:31PM

I saw that in a documentary called Zeitgeist, if that helps ha.

Date: September 26, 2012 09:34PM

Zeitgest was a bunch of crap and Horus' mother was the wife of Osiris and no virgin. Horus was conceived after Osiris' death by use of a magic phallus. No virgin bith involved. A lot of the other stuff which happened to Horus is misrepresented just as his so called virgin bith was. Get your facts straight and read a real version of the myth and not Zeitgeist crap.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horus

Here is a link

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2012 09:36PM by bona dea.

Posted by: schlock ( )
Date: September 26, 2012 09:51PM

"bunch of crap"

"misrepresented"

"get your facts straight"

"real version of the myth"

"zeitgeist crap"

Wooo, I'm dizzy, I just had a swooning PTSD episode from my old mormdumb days.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2012 09:53PM by schlock.

Date: September 26, 2012 10:17PM

Read the link and google Zeitgest debunked.Knowing that Zeitgest is full of crap is not the same thing as believing in a divine Jesus

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2012 10:21PM by bona dea.

Posted by: notsurewhattothink ( )
Date: September 26, 2012 10:36PM

I don't believe in the religious Jesus. I believe my friend though, Jesus Santiago, he seems real and is really quite hilarious.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: September 26, 2012 11:04PM

Date: September 27, 2012 04:31PM

Posted by: anondcx ( )
Date: September 27, 2012 12:40AM

i guess i do, i mean 2000 years ago and people still believe his sh!t, epic con man

Posted by: rise ( )
Date: September 27, 2012 06:29PM

Before christianity there was Hinduism, people still believe that shit. epic con man

Posted by: turnonthelights ( )
Date: September 27, 2012 01:33AM

He might have been an actual person even though he was not really the Son Of God. I am sure that there were many religious leaders back then.

Posted by: BadSheep ( )
Date: September 27, 2012 02:17AM

I believe Jesus existed. I do not believe he was the son of God. I don't think he had any magical powers. I don't think he turned water into wine (without adding some grapes and letting that ferment for a while!)...etc. I think he was probably a good talker and told people what they wanted to hear. I think he was probably more of a Ghandi type. Really peaceful, live and let live kinda guy. Son of God? Not a chance.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: September 27, 2012 08:18AM

No, I don't think there ever was a Jesus. Simcha Jacobovici did an excellent show on some of the candidates which may have been an influence for the character. The guy's name escapes me at the moment, but one of the candidates had a very similar story, so I think it was a mixture of all the messiah wannabees which were running around at that time and myth.

Posted by: nickerickson ( )
Date: September 27, 2012 08:46AM

I knew a Filipino in the Navy named Jesus who would not let us call him by his first name, we had to call him by his last name ------- what escapes me. I asked him why and he said so we didn't say, "F***ing Jesus, or What the F**k Jesus, or Goddamnit Jesus, or etc..." He didn't want us taking Jesus' name in vain, which we totally would have done.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: September 27, 2012 10:22AM

I believe in Jesus. He has a leaf blower and wakes me up every Saturday morning when he cleans the neighbors yard.

Posted by: liminal state ( )
Date: September 27, 2012 10:50AM

That's just wrong . . . I say while laughing.

1,000 hail mary's to both of us.

Posted by: ladell ( )
Date: September 27, 2012 11:50AM

I guess I am not smart enough to appreciate why some guy needed to kill himself (sort of) because it is the only way his Father would forgive me for breaking rules that absolutely noone else could follow either.

Posted by: gus2144 ( )
Date: September 27, 2012 04:45PM

God said let there be HDTV. And it was good.
But seriously I don't believe in him. Mormonism screwed me over. (But I do believe HD TV looks good.)

Posted by: Youngandfree ( )
Date: September 27, 2012 07:12PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.