Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: September 26, 2012 12:34PM

A video has gone viral of a young, CTR ring wearing, woman canvassing in Colorado Springs in front of a Safeway. It is anxiety causing because I am empathetic, but there is the look and smell of Mormonism that caused me to drill down.

It is still in development, but the involvement of a BYU graduate El Paso county clerk, Wayne Williams, may be a whitewash or a cover up. I would like to know more about his involvement with the Church as a member or leader. Maybe he reads this forum, who knows at this point.

Are there posters or readers from that region that know more of the details on the story or can provide knowledge about the Mormon leadership and Colorado politicians in that area?

My engagement is primarily about the authoritarian culture, leadership intimidation, brainwashing, and parrot-talk training. It might all be here and it might be the story that helps the world see the darker sides of Mormonism.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2012 12:35PM by gentlestrength.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: September 26, 2012 12:37PM

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: September 26, 2012 08:10PM

As the young woman's story was beginning to unravel under relentless questioning from a skeptical shopper, she attempted to hide her face but, alas, the CTR ring was captured, nonetheless:

http://i.imgur.com/Qs8jW.jpg

Apparently "CTR" stands for "Choose the Romney."

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2012 08:14PM by steve benson.

Posted by: xyz ( )
Date: September 26, 2012 12:37PM

Why all the mystery? What is the woman canvassing regarding?

Date: September 26, 2012 07:57PM

. . . to register Romney supporters.

What makes this interesting is that she said she was being paid by the county clerk. The county clerk, Wayne Willaims, is a Mormon, the former head of the local county GOP and an activist in crafting election laws of the type being legislated around the country in GOP state houses (and challenged), ones designed to assist in a Romney November victory.

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2012 08:34PM by steve benson.

Date: September 26, 2012 12:43PM

This is my second attempt at starting my first thread and I am not entirely sure how to address this subject without it violating political guidelines. I don't think it is political especially, here is the link to an article--video can be accessed here as well

http://www.gazette.com/articles/voter-144994-youtube-registration.html

Here is the CTR ring

Posted by: spaghetti oh ( )
Date: September 26, 2012 12:45PM

I like a good treasure hunt so off I went...

I think this is the video:
http://seltar.videosift.com/video/Registering-voters-at-Safeway-IF-you-support-Romney

eta: oh bollocks! gentlestrength beat me to it. ;-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2012 12:47PM by spaghetti oh.

Posted by: here ( )
Date: September 26, 2012 12:46PM

The story
http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_21616427/youtube-video-spurs-voter-registration-flap-colorado-springs

The video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rdk55dLsFhc

The CTR ring

The County Clerk
http://car.elpasoco.com/Pages/MeettheClerkandRecorder.aspx

"He is an active member of the Chapel Hills Ward of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints where he currently serves in the Bishopric."

Date: September 26, 2012 01:14PM

Thanks for the bio link, that confirms my suspicion. I think this young woman's first answer was honest, ask a good Mormon kid a direct question, they'll do their best to be honest as best they can.

I suspect this Mormon Bishopric leader/Election County Clerk/Republican got his youth a Contracted canvassing job or even more likely a Saturday volunteer effort of young Mormon adults led by their religious authority and their County Elections clerk.

I hope we have some readers or posters who know the players and can provide insight as to the specifics.

Date: September 26, 2012 05:38PM

The Chapel Hills Ward is listed at 8710 Lexington Dr. with meetings starting at 11:00. Even though the Mormon population is large in CS, it would not surprise me at all that she knows Wayne Williams and that he is or has been her religious leader.

I think she honestly answered the woman's question as best she could. The County Clerk. I suspect she was volunteering in a Mormon organized or Romney organized canvass.

Apparently they have been out in force, I heard Castle Rock.

I hope she is not targeted for punishment, but that she is able to reveal who trained her and put her at that store. That's the person I am interested in having come forward. I think it was Wayne Williams.

Posted by: Heidi GWOTR ( )
Date: September 26, 2012 02:06PM

Posted by: toto ( )
Date: September 26, 2012 01:02PM

I missed Mormon politicians in Utah SO much that I moved to Colorado just to be in the thick of it here :P

What. A. Joke.

Date: September 26, 2012 01:57PM

Don't know the people, but the Chapel Hills Ward would be relatively near the Air Force Academy. In the northern Springs, there are plenty of rich Mormons (or at least pretend to be) who have children that go to the better school districts.

The Springs is a hotbed of religious nutjobs...It's no suprise here that the Mormons want grab some of that power from the fundies.

Date: September 26, 2012 02:02PM

I think the chastity oath originated there, or something like it. Some righteous husband/father group. Self-hating homosexual Haggard was from Colorado.

There might be something in this mystery about how Mormonism crosses over into the political in violation of tax law. I have discussed with a leading expert on what they did in California.

Date: September 26, 2012 02:10PM

He's not the first anti-Gay crusading Springs fundie to get caught in a delicate situation either.

And yes, the Chastity Balls originated, where daughters pledge their virginity to their fathers until marriage. It's an icky, gross, revolting ritual.

As for the Mos there, There's something like 4 or 5 stakes in the Springs and I don't even know how many wardhouses. If you can prove he violated tax law, good for you.

Date: September 26, 2012 02:24PM

Community is powerful. I don't think it is possible to prove anything from what I've seen at this point. I do think a lot of the inappropriate signs are there that most of us recognize in the pervasive role the Mormon church plays as a tax free organization. If your dentist/boss/Bishop gets you out canvassing for his politics--what is that with respect to a charitable organization without politics?

If this is to become national I think locals who know the players and the relationships will have to rise to the challenge. This most likely is being kept under the radar from investigation because of local leaders with political, business, or religious priorities. People know if this guy has been using his positions as a Mormon church leader and County Election Clerk interchangeably. It's just a matter of whether they are going to share what they know.

Mormon culture gives members and especially leadership that sense that if I do it, it must be right, because I am part of a special cause that is all about choosing the right. I just had a Nixon flashback.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2012 02:26PM by gentlestrength.

Posted by: frankie ( )
Date: September 26, 2012 02:29PM

I'm in colorado springs. she might be from a singles ward. I know that is where the singles ward are held over there by chapel hills. But I'm not really in the know it all so I do not know anything about which ward this williams guy is over.

chapel hills is north in town. I live on the south side. the safeway in the video I did not recognize so it was proberly one the the north town stores. I'm not for sure but I think there is only one singles ward for the city. I hope she goes to jail

Posted by: pigsinzen ( )
Date: September 26, 2012 05:47PM

I was stationed at Carson. I loved the Springs.

Posted by: Odell Campbell ( )
Date: September 26, 2012 03:27PM

I lived in the Springs for many years. There used to be a member of the Stake Presidency with the last name of Williams. I know that is a common surname so it most likley is not the same person as the Williams who is the County Clerk of El Paso County.

Posted by: He's a Mormon ( )
Date: September 26, 2012 03:39PM

http://car.elpasoco.com/Pages/MeettheClerkandRecorder.aspx

"Prior to and, in many cases, after his election, Wayne served in various positions within the community, including Chairman of the Colorado Springs Housing Authority, Boy Scout Troop Committee Chairman, and member of the Board of Directors of the Pikes Peak Community Action Agency. He is an active member of the Chapel Hills Ward of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints where he currently serves in the Bishopric. "

Posted by: jw the inquizzinator ( )
Date: September 26, 2012 05:47PM

The Republican Party, esp in the northern part of my city, has lots of lds. I'll keep an eye on this and probe a little.

Ryan is here today speaking.

This is from the local TV station:

"We found the truth behind a YouTube video gone viral. The video shows a young woman standing outside a local grocery store, saying she's registering voters on behalf of the County Clerk, but at one point she says she prefers to register only Republicans.

After speaking with El Paso County Clerk & Recorder Wayne Williams and local Democratic and Republican campaign chairmen, we've learned who the women are in the video and who they're affiliated with.

It comes down to a lot of confusion; confusion on the young woman's part about who exactly she was working for, and confusion from the woman behind the camera on whether anything happening was illegal.

According to Williams, the girl gathering voter registrations does not work for the County office. It turns out she's actually a paid employee for the Colorado Republican Committee.

El Paso County Republican Chairman Eli Bremer says of the girl's confusion, "It was her first day on the job and she panicked. She knew that she was turning in all the registrations to the County Clerk & Recorder's office and she knew that was the appropriate thing to do, and that's how she answered."

So why the confusion? Williams says, "In a sense one could say that they're all gathering voter registrations that eventually come into our office, which I why she probably made the mistake in the video."

It appeared to the woman behind the camera that the young girl was only registering Romney voters, which would have been illegal. But according to Williams, pre-screening voters with preference questions isn't against the law. "You don't have to offer a voter registration form to everybody," he says.

However, denying someone a form based on their survey answers is illegal, which it seems the woman behind the camera thought was going on. It's also illegal for registration gatherers to fail to turn in a voter registration form that they've issued and accepted.

Bremer says the camera woman's choice to release the video just before election time was a campaign tactic. "The person who did this was a campaign operative. She was doing it for political reasons, she sat on the video for a month and now its been released to make political hay out of it, and I think that's just simply unacceptable."

It's an allegation the local Democratic party denies. Christy Lelait, Chairman for the El Paso County Democrats, told News 5, "It's an interesting charge. I don't know of any campaign operatives here in El Paso County and I know for certain that the woman who shot this video is not a campaign operative, she's a volunteer with several different organizations including the El Paso Democratic Party and she's also a precinct chair."

It turns out pre-screening voters isn't something the Democrats do when gathering registrations, making the woman with the camera think something illegal was happening. "I know for a fact the campaign office is not going out and prescreening the people that are registering. They will set up a table with an Obama sign but they don't ask you who you're voting for before you register."

The El Paso County Democrats say the whole incident shows poor training for volunteers at the Romney campaign. They also say the woman who shot the video only held onto it long enough to bleep out the young girl's name so she wouldn't suffer any backlash when the video hit Youtube. They deny the Republicans' charge that the release date was a campaign tactic.

El Paso County Republicans say the whole thing was a ploy to distract voters from the real story of a young girl trying to get the candidate of her choice elected by campaigning within the law...."

http://www.koaa.com/news/viral-voter-registration-video-the-truth-from-officials/

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2012 05:49PM by jw the inquizzinator.

Date: September 26, 2012 06:31PM

Great, with a name like inquizzanator I imagine you are really good at poking around.

Christy LaLait, Democratic County Chair, and I have talked twice now. Once before I had confirmed that the young woman or Wayne Williams are Mormons. The second time She told me she knows that Williams is a Mormon and also knows that there is no investigation that has been opened by local police. The Secretary of State has refused to investigate. She does not seem to be anxious about the situation. Fair enough, windmills to her.

I will be curious to see if over the next couple of days the national media engages and if the wagons have already started circling.

If I could I would love to dress up nice, drive to 8710 Lexington Dr., walk into the Chapel Hills chapel at just a little before 11:00 and see if I can find Mr. Williams and the mystery woman at the same church meeting. I think I might.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2012 06:54PM by gentlestrength.

Date: September 26, 2012 07:45PM

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2012 08:01PM by steve benson.

Date: September 26, 2012 07:37PM

--What, if any, Mormon connection might there be between WIllaims and her/her family?

--Is it possible (with the young woman being an employee for the local office of the RNC and with Williams reportedly having been involved as county GOP chair in crafting "fair" election laws like those being being legislated by Republicans in various states to assist in an Romney victory), that Williams helped this young woman get her job with the local RNC?

--Is is possible that Willaims may, through Mormon networking, know her and her family?

--Could Williams and this young woman be in the same stake or ward?

--Why would this young woman claim she was being paid by the county clerk if she was working for the RNC local office to supposedly register people of both parties (although she admitted to working for Romney and therefore trying to register his supporters?

Give me some hard data or some leads, folks.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2012 07:46PM by steve benson.

Posted by: Richard the Bad ( )
Date: September 26, 2012 05:53PM

I feel for that girl. I don't think she had a clue that anything she was doing or saying was wrong in the beginning. But started to realize it as she was being questioned. She was used in my opinion.

That county clerk/bishop needs to be smacked hard. I'm sure that he has made no effort to distinguish between the two positions to people like this young lady.

Date: September 26, 2012 07:04PM

I agree, but would add I think she was honest. To the question, who's paying you? She was confused, hesitated and answered the County Clerk.

One possibility was that she was a volunteer, not getting paid, thus the confusion. Didn't want to say I am volunteering with the Mormons so she said, County Clerk.

The videographer then horrified by saying "that's illegal", which it is. With an investigation people would have to go on the record, it can probably be effectively spun, but I think the exercise would be a positive development in creating storks that show the dark ways Mormonism operates in a community and within its' own community.

I hope she will not let this damage her, but let this unexpected heat will cause her to better understand her self-importance without respect to the LDS church. Maybe she'll think, I don't want to be a parrot for someone, I have my own voice.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2012 07:06PM by gentlestrength.

Posted by: RichardtheBad (not logged in) ( )
Date: September 26, 2012 08:38PM

I hope it won't damage her either. Hopefully wake her up. But the media being what it is... she is the face on it.

Here is a thought though. If the Bish told her to do this as the Bish, it is a violation of seperation of church and state, and could bring up questions of the church's tax exempt status. (at which point, will the higher ups??? (There are many on this board far more qualified to speculate about this than I.) If he told her as the county clerk, it is totally illegal as well (I forget the exact definition, but it is basically using a political office to influence an election). And it looks like her threw her under the bus as well with his denial.

That fucktard needs to go down.

Date: September 26, 2012 07:28PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2012 08:01PM by steve benson.

Date: September 26, 2012 08:08PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2012 08:10PM by steve benson.

Posted by: tawanda2011 ( )
Date: September 26, 2012 08:38PM

Sorry, but this Williams guy looks creeeeepy, kind of like the guy dressed in black in the temple in the 70's. Just saying...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2012 08:38PM by tawanda2011.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.