Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: MTfounder ( )
Date: September 23, 2012 07:53PM

I am one of the original founders of the MormonThink website began almost 10 years ago. I was called to a church court last month for my involvement in the MT site as the previous managing editor and IT guru. I am the one referred to in the Daily Beast article as “the former editor resigned after also being confronted and pressured by the Church leaders”.

I have decided to publish some of my story for the benefit of everyone here that has been so supportive of MT over the years, especially now in light of the recent events. And kudos to David for having the courage to do what I elected not to do.

http://mormonthink.com/resignation_letter.htm

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: September 23, 2012 08:01PM

You have to do what is right for you. No matter what you know you have a home here :)

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: September 23, 2012 08:13PM

Your letter to the SP is absolutely brilliant. My favorite part:

"you said that MT is “anti-Mormon, anti-Joseph Smith and anti-LDS Leadership”. However, you never said it wasn’t true. The majority of the source material comes from the Church itself, so how can publishing true, historical facts be considered anti-Mormon?"

There is no answer. There is only testimony. Yawn.

I'm with you all the way. When it is wrong to seek truth or even take a sideways glance at it, you are in the wrong group and I don't care who they say they represent.

And they did leave you.

Thank Galileo and thank you.

Posted by: sue ( )
Date: September 23, 2012 08:20PM

Double Wow! Good for you, Mormon Think Founder! :-) It sounds corny, but every single drop into the pond of knowledge just keeps rippling out to help others. I hope you feel peace at coming out a little bit further. And the same for your family.

Posted by: David Twede ( )
Date: September 23, 2012 08:22PM

Founder, you're an inspiration to so many of us. Your efforts have changed the lives of thousands. You're the true hero at MormonThink. I thank you for the opportunity to be a part of this.

Posted by: GQ Cannonball ( )
Date: September 23, 2012 08:32PM

I have never read a more heartfelt, comprehensive and damming letter in all my life. Wow, mormonthinker, that is POWERFUL. Best to you.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: September 23, 2012 08:41PM

What the LDS church doesn't realize is that the truth is not going to go away.

We support all of you at MT. Board members here understand all too well that there is no one-size-fits-all solution for a questioning church member. You did what you needed to do.

Here's an Irish blessing for you:

Dear Lord,
Give me a few friends
who will love me for what I am,
and keep ever burning
before my vagrant steps
the kindly light of hope...
And though I come not within sight
of the castle of my dreams,
teach me to be thankful for life,
and for time's olden memories
that are good and sweet.
And may the evening's twilight
find me gentle still.

Posted by: Dufreyne ( )
Date: September 23, 2012 08:45PM

Thank you for making your significant contribution to MT. This was one of several resources I relied upon while searching for truth on my way out of mormonism. I simply wanted truth, not an embellished argument designed to bolster one side or the other. This site did just that-it presented facts (as best we can decipher from history) and allows the reader to draw his or her own conclusions. In essence, it was a stepping stone on the search for Truth. How can this possibly be in conflict with God's one true church? I quickly realized that the brethren are disinterested in "Truth", but are singularly focused on promoting the well being and good name of the LDS church at all costs--including the cost of parting ways with the truth. Thank you for standing up, having the courage of your convictions and taking action. It has been instrumental in at least this Truth Seeker's journey...

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: September 23, 2012 08:49PM

And the TRUTH shall set you free.

It set myself, my husband and children free from men who will do anything to protect the lies and hide the truth of the mormon church.

They don't want to admit the truth because they love power over others, and the almighty dollar more than they love God or his children.

They sit in positions of power and judgement over others. Ruining lives, and and stealing peace and money from the members, while they themselves are protecting a corporation that is run on lies and thievery.

Posted by: get her done ( )
Date: September 23, 2012 09:33PM

Support you

Posted by: samanthajake ( )
Date: September 23, 2012 09:53PM

Still considered a TBm in good standing will send me links to MT. It is proof to me that this parent is at least thinking about it and not just following blindly. Thank You, thank you, thank you!

Posted by: exmollymo ( )
Date: September 23, 2012 11:39PM

What a powerful resignation letter. Absolutely wonderful!

Posted by: dogeatdog ( )
Date: September 23, 2012 11:46PM

+

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: September 24, 2012 12:16AM

When truth is labeled "anti-Mormon" then Mormonism can only be seen as "anti-Truth."

Posted by: Mormoney ( )
Date: September 24, 2012 12:26AM

Truly well said. Great letter. A non-answer, or deflection of the issues will be further evidence of their lack of desire to search the truth.

Posted by: Caddis ( )
Date: September 24, 2012 01:14AM

Fantastic Letter!

Posted by: Dianne Ormond ( )
Date: September 24, 2012 01:27AM

I'm well aware of the uncountable hours you've devoted to the MormonThink labor of love, and you have my forever gratitude. I'm proud you are my friend. Thank you for the impact you have made on the lives of thousands.

Posted by: sithlord ( )
Date: September 24, 2012 01:44AM

Absolutely phenomenal letter!! I may have to copy some of that into mine!

To have been a fly on the wall of that SP's office when he read that letter!

That you for sharing this and thank you for your efforts! You have personally impacted the lives of many people for the better.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2012 01:46AM by sithlord.

Posted by: twojedis ( )
Date: September 24, 2012 01:49AM

I love this part of your letter to the stake president:

"In 1633, Galileo was tried for heresy by the Catholic Church for saying things like there were moons orbiting Jupiter.  At his trial, Galileo brought his telescope and asked the priests to look though his telescope and see the moons orbiting Jupiter for themselves.  But the Catholic officials refused to look through Galileo’s telescope.  Some of the priests were afraid to even touch it.  Had they looked through the telescope, they would have seen the four moons orbiting Jupiter.  But they weren’t interested in the truth, only in punishing Galileo for saying things that went against Catholic teachings."

Ironically enough, I was listening to the audiobook of Dan Brown's Angels and Demons this summer while trying to come to grips with my hubby leaving the church. One of the main themes of the book is the way the Catholic church treated scientists, to the point that they were forced into hiding, and even killed, really struck a chord with me. The parallels between the persecution of scientists back then and the witch hunt of sholars of our day are haunting. Truth is truth, facts are facts, and the church history and doctrine have problems. The church cannot be the "one true church" as it claims. If it would drop the pretense, admit the subterfuge, and claim to be a "pretty good church", many of us might just stay. I, for one, am glad to be done.

Posted by: MexMom ( )
Date: September 24, 2012 02:31AM

Posted by: ducky333 ( )
Date: September 24, 2012 03:00AM

Very powerful and moving letter. Your sincerity is obvious. I wish you well and thank you for the help MT has been to me in helping to redefine my life. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Posted by: anointed one ( )
Date: September 24, 2012 05:44AM

...and thank you for posting a copy of your letter.

The SP, the apologists and the church itself are the ones in apostasy and should be disciplined. I'm not sure I understand the concept of how one can apostatise from lies. The church is not true. It's truth claims have been proven to be false. How can telling the truth be apostasy?

Why persecute you? As you state in your letter "As Joseph Smith himself noted in The Pearl of Great Price, Joseph Smith--History verse 25, "Why persecute me for telling the truth?" In verse 28, Joseph says further that he was criticized for telling the truth "… by those who ought to have been my friends and to have treated me kindly, and if they supposed me to be deluded to have endeavored in a proper and affectionate manner to have reclaimed me …." I don't believe holding a council meeting to discipline me to be an "affectionate manner."

Well done, mtfounder, thou good and faithfull servant.

Now that you have officially resigned from the church of liars, by the authority vested in me, I ordain you a king and unto the godhood, even to be a member of a godhead. I also bless you to continue to be able to discern the truth in all things and to live as long as life is desirable to you. I invoke these blessings upon you as the only living member of the 'Anoited Quorum' willing to tell the truth.

Kudos to you mtfounder.

Tom

Posted by: MTfounder ( )
Date: September 24, 2012 08:20AM

anointed one Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Now that you have officially resigned from the
> church of liars, by the authority vested in me, I
> ordain you a king and unto the godhood, even to be
> a member of a godhead. I also bless you to
> continue to be able to discern the truth in all
> things and to live as long as life is desirable to
> you. I invoke these blessings upon you as the only
> living member of the 'Anoited Quorum' willing to
> tell the truth.
>
> Kudos to you mtfounder.
>
> Tom

Thanks Anointed One, now that I have lost all my blessings of my Patriarchal blessing, I will treasure this instead

Posted by: spanner ( )
Date: September 24, 2012 06:01AM

Thanks MTfounder,

This really looks scary.

Posted by: smithscars ( )
Date: September 24, 2012 06:49AM

Here's another thanks mtfounder. The time and effort you have spent working on mormonthink is a great service done for others.

For me, the Bible played a giant role in my removal of Mormonism so I really loved your Galatians quote at the bottom about telling the truth. Good one. Bible verses sure are pesky to priesthood leaders that are used to flying by the seat of their pants...umm...I mean trusting the feelings of their testimony

this whole Mormonthink fiasco has brought some new questions to the surface for me:

If I am a member but never went to the temple, would I get excommunicated for the same things as a temple goer?

If I'm quoting things from Mormon sources like journal of discourses, like blood atonement and Adam god, I could get exed?

How come the church doesn't distance itself formally from information that could get me in trouble if I find it in the church's own history books?

If the church is trying to be like Jesus, then how is their example of leaving the 90 & 9 and going after and searching for the lost 1?

If people like my dad, Jeffrey Holland and so many others have seen it all before and are ok with the problematic stuff, then why avoid it so adamantly and attack any other messengers?

It would be a different story if mormonthink were printing lies instead of the truth. I really liked the part of your letter to the Steak President (meat boss lol) asking about what parts are untrue.

That's my new challenge to mormons & anyone else if the subject of mormonthink comes up.... Show me where it's wrong, then tell me again, why its wrong to print the undeniable truths

Thanks again mtfounder and everyone else involved at mormonthink for being standardbearers of the truth. The truth sets us free

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2012 07:09AM by smithscars.

Posted by: templenameaaron ( )
Date: September 24, 2012 08:08AM

Thanks to all at mormonthink! You helped my wife and I to see the light, we are out of the church, happy and semi-young. All kids under eight so they will get to be free too.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: The other Sofia ( )
Date: September 24, 2012 08:37AM

Love your letter. Calm and sincere. Great ending paragraph.

Posted by: SerendipityHappensnotloggedin ( )
Date: September 24, 2012 09:23AM

The letter you wrote perfectly expresses what I wish to convey to the few TBMS in my family who accuse me of being a prideful apostate. (fortunately the vast majority of my family accept my decisions without argument or confrontation) Thank you for putting into words all the scattered thoughts that have been swimming around in my gut.

I love mormonthink and it has helped me feel peace about my decisions regarding TSCC. I would have left anyway, but Mormonthink just helped me feel that my decision was more rational.

Posted by: sometimes lurker ( )
Date: September 24, 2012 09:30AM

Thank you! This is great and well said.

Posted by: tig ( )
Date: September 24, 2012 10:31AM

Love that they decided to keep focusing on your history after you decided to "repent" and move forward. Of course, if WE focus on the church's history after they have decided to move forward then once again WE are wrong.

Sheesh.

Posted by: Outcast ( )
Date: September 24, 2012 10:37AM

Are you implying that there are (gasp!) dodos in church leadership??

Posted by: xyz ( )
Date: September 24, 2012 10:58AM

They really really hate when you use Galileo v. the Inquisition as an example. They know which side they stand on. LOL!

Excellent letter. Welcome to true intellectual freedom.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.