Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: David Twede ( )
Date: September 21, 2012 08:37PM

In my local rag was written:

" Michael Purdy [the Church Spokesman] added in an email: "It is patently false for someone to suggest they face Church discipline for having questions or for expressing a political view. The Church is an advocate of individual choice. It is a core tenet of our faith. Church discipline becomes necessary only in those rare occasions when an individual's actions cannot be ignored while they claim to be in good standing with the Church. Every organization, whether religious or secular, must be able to define where its boundaries begin and end." "

Wait... "The Church is an advocate of individual choice. It is a core tenet of our faith."

Huh???

Purdy also dances around the issue and generally says it is about "actions" when the leaders who interrogated me clearly were upset about my writings and "hiding" behind only my first name. By saying "actions" Purdy purposely implies to the mormon membership that I have done something sinful and shameful.

He can't address my dissenting writings because he has no defense. He must imply an ad-hominem.

Lastly, he states the church "must be able to define where its boundaries begin and end."

Ok, so, define it. Clearly. Leaving it vague allows the church to bully people arbitrarily. MT sits in the borderlands that FAIR also floats in, but without fear of reprisal.

And Scott Gordon:

" Scott Gordon, president of FAIR, a nonprofit group that defends Mormonism, said he doubted that the church initiated action against Twede because of criticism of Romney. Gordon said the church has members on both sides of the political aisle.
" More likely, Gordon said, church leaders took exception to Twede's other writings, including an unflattering blog post detailing his attendance at a Sept. 9 church service at Hunter's Creek in south Orange County. Gordon said some MormonThink contributors "will do anything they can to embarrass the church. They want to justify their leaving." "

Gordon leaves "other writings" undefined. Mentioned, presumably by Gordon is my tongue-in-cheek story about going to church in colorful paisley where the ward members are mostly dressed in black-n-white plain or stripes. It is, of course, playful writing and no more unflattering than, say, a Robert Kirby piece about Mormon culture in the Salt Lake Tribune.

Unfortunately for FAIR, they cannot defend the content of MT articles on LDS history or doctrine, and it would seem he's lacking a sense of humor as well.

If this is all they have, and it is excommunicable to joke about a day at church, then Watch Out, Kirby!

Source:
http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2012-09-21/features/os-mormon-mitt-romney-excommunication-20120921_1_excommunication-mitt-romney-disciplinary-council

Additionally, as for the newly posted SLTrib article,
http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/54944698-78/church-lds-twede-romney.html.csp

It's true that my local leaders never said "Romney" in my interrogation. They indicated discomfort with my recent writings as a whole, which includes three blog entries and one MT article discussing Romney that were posted from Sept 11-15. While referring to my writings, the stake president did say about himself, "I'm not a political man..." It is unclear to me what he meant by this and why he interjected it.

Likewise, when it says that I didn't intend for it to go this way, I meant: I didn't intend for discussions of my excommunications to take on such a politcal tone. I would prefer the topic remain on the Mormon church's inability to defend its own position on this matter.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2012 09:11PM by David Twede.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: September 21, 2012 08:44PM

Rare occasions? Individual choice? Actions cannot be ignored?

As a victim of the Mormon church and their spying and gestapo ways, I'm calling BULL SHIT on those statements.

Posted by: ambivalent exmo ( )
Date: September 21, 2012 08:53PM

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: September 21, 2012 08:56PM

How is it respectful of individual choice to ban and shun people who make choices you don't like.

Can you tell us what newspaper articles contain said quote. I'd love to comment.

Anagrammy

Posted by: lostman ( )
Date: September 21, 2012 09:08PM

Machael Purdy is a liar and a whore. He is the sad excuse of a man that lied in the BBC doccumentary, only to CHANGE HIS MIND 30 SECONDS LATER.

The fastest way to get called into a "star Chamber" of stake morons is to not toe the line on a political issue, I have personal knowledge of this process.

If the GA's were not such cowards they could comment on on church policy, but no , they leave it to a sack of crap like Purdy.

Posted by: xyz ( )
Date: September 21, 2012 11:02PM

That's how Mormon Free Agency works.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: September 21, 2012 11:12PM

I keep coming back to read more and I'm amazed at what has transpired in the past few days.

Hang in there.

Posted by: wilford ruffwood ( )
Date: September 21, 2012 11:19PM

David, you're an inspiration and true hero to all in (or now out) of the church who allow themselves the dignity of free thought and expression. I love mormonthink and hope that it continues regardless of how this nonsense turns out.

Posted by: safado53 ( )
Date: September 21, 2012 11:45PM

Mr. Twede,

I am sorry for the situation you are in, but I am sure the actions of the church come as no surprise to you. They are cowards that can't face facts or own up to them. Mormon think was very influential in my departure, and has helped point me towards a greater peace of mind. Your hard work is appreciated.

Posted by: Human ( )
Date: September 22, 2012 11:10AM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.