Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: fubecona ( )
Date: September 18, 2012 08:09PM

Just wondered what you guys might think of it. Sorry if it's too political but it seemed on topic.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390444450004578002010241044712.html?mod=WSJ_hp_mostpop_read

One of my TBM friends said: "the slander Mormons have endured throughout history has come from countless people, regardless of their political views. I see it everywhere and it is shameful how it is tolerated."

What do you think? Are the Book of Mormon musical, South Park parodies and the like slanderous? Are Mormons really "persecuted" as so many of them claim? (I know I used to think so.)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dadsprimalscream ( )
Date: September 18, 2012 08:29PM

It's being talked about here on this thread:

Book of Mormon musical vs. Innosense of Muslims

And here was my reply:

OH please it's a stupid comparison!

If 2 parents are atop a 10 story building each holding up their toddlers over the balcony I'm going to shout at both of them what morons they are. If one of them shouts back that if I call her a moron one more time then she will drop her baby, then I'm going to STOP calling her a moron! She's obviously a bit more deranged than the other one.

Yes, we should be able to make fun of Muslims and Mormons equally but Mormon leaders aren't as deranged as are some Muslim leaders who call for violence.

Notice how I say it's a difference in the leaders... I don't really see much difference in the fanaticism of the followers. If Mormon leadership DID call for violence for disrespecting Heavenly Father or Joseph Smith, there would be a significant Mormon following eager to obey.

I can't tell you how many times a Mormon friend or family member has actually proudly said to me that they'd die for their religion if they were asked to ... and pretty much do anything else they were asked to do.

Instead of whining about being lampooned just like the Muslims, Mormons should be filling the internet with posts, sending prayers and shouts of gratitude that their leaders are slightly less bat-@#$%& crazy than some of the rogue Muslim leaders.

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: September 18, 2012 09:11PM

I agree totally.

Posted by: dadsprimalscream ( )
Date: September 18, 2012 08:31PM

BTW Fubecona, my name on here for the longest time was "Fubeca!"

Are you Bazilian? Did you go on a mission there?

Posted by: fubecona ( )
Date: September 18, 2012 09:01PM

Oops didn't see the other thread. Yes I served a mission in Brazil.

Posted by: ducky333 ( )
Date: September 18, 2012 09:56PM

For a church which has been instrumental in publicly denouncing and persecuting others, including gays and lesbians, academics, feminists, blacks etc., they certainly sound like raging hypocrites boo-hooing about persecution.

Maybe they need to get a sense of humor. After all, they admit they want to be considered different from the rest of the world. Parody is inevitable.

On the other hand, maybe they just don't like looking dumb on shows like South Park where even kids can see how little sense the church makes.

Posted by: freckles ( )
Date: September 18, 2012 11:03PM

I love your first line Ducky! Well said.

Posted by: ducky333 ( )
Date: September 18, 2012 11:04PM

Spank you very much, freckles. : )

Posted by: John_Lyle ( )
Date: September 19, 2012 11:45AM

Dumb dumb dumb!

Posted by: suzanne ( )
Date: September 18, 2012 11:06PM

I used to base a large part of my testimony on the fact that Satan persecuted the True Church because he wanted us to be sad... and it took me a while to realize that pretty much every church gets "persecuted" by non believers on a regular basis.

Also the mormon church is so bizare, it is easy to make fun of and NOT EVEN EXAGGERATE THE TRUTH!

Posted by: rationalguy ( )
Date: September 18, 2012 11:11PM

Atheists are slandered at a greater rate. Some surveys place them near child abusers in popularity... Yet many are engaged in good works and leading happy and productive lives while many religious people hide behind their piety and help others very little, help their own or require conversion in return for charity..

Posted by: rationalguy ( )
Date: September 18, 2012 11:14PM

Mormons reflexively play the persecution card. It's getting old and isn't effective. Few but their own feel sorry for them. They have 35 billion dollars. Boo Hoo.

Date: September 19, 2012 11:50AM

I hear they are hiring ex-Apple executives to increase their cash flow; increase their cash on hand; and design the 'iFlop'cell phone that all members will be required to buy...

Phone missionaries will be locked into a basement in the COB censuring all phone calls and sending out 'Court of Love' summons by text...

Okay, so that was a little off topic. I apologize.

Posted by: qtp2t ( )
Date: September 19, 2012 01:06AM

I think many of my fb friends should consider this quote:
"Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted" -ralph waldo emerson

Posted by: rander70 ( )
Date: September 19, 2012 11:55AM

Beautiful quote. Anything that nay-says the church is considered anti-mormon. The term "mormon" refers to the people, not necessarily the church itsself. It's a way to make the members feel like they are being targetted and must defend themselves against anyone who has an opposing opinion. Basically, what the church did was throw their members in the way of open fire to take the damage of the nay-sayers... even though the original target is the church and it's doctorines.

Posted by: goldenrule ( )
Date: September 19, 2012 02:27PM

Brilliant! I'm sharing that.

Posted by: Mormoney ( )
Date: September 19, 2012 01:33AM

Their claim to persecution is an insult to Jewish people, Africans and LGTB's.

Posted by: footdoc ( )
Date: September 19, 2012 07:11AM

The difference is muslims think they can hold the world hostage with their 'derangement', if we allow them to dictate the terms of the engagement, guess what, they succeed and indeed hold everyone else with a metaphorical(or in the case of Iran, not so metaphorical) gun to the head.

Just like with the church, bully's only respect strength and they don't know what to do when someone stands up to them or calls them on their bullshit.

Date: September 19, 2012 11:55AM

No, they're funny...

Feeling/claiming they are persecuted is an inherent and fundamental part of being mormon. If they didn't feel persecuted, then something would be woefully wrong to them...

The persecution complex binds people to the church...

The church goes out of its way to make sure the members feel persecuted by doing things that are bat-shit crazy – like magic underwear and McTemples...

Posted by: xyz ( )
Date: September 19, 2012 11:58AM

Before that @$$wipe Rupert Murdoch bought it.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.