Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: deconverted2010 ( )
Date: September 07, 2012 04:57PM

The 2011 financial information for "The Church of Jesus-Christ of Latter-Day Saints in Canada" is now available. This is the registered charity that receives all the tithing and donations money from all wards in Canada. A few months back I posted the link when the information for the wards was available, now this is for the whole church in Canada.

Check it out, the amounts transfered from the wards is $151,848,238, this is after all ward expenses. This is under this line on the form:

Total amount received from other registered charities 4510 $ 151,848,238

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/ebci/haip/srch/t3010form22sched6-eng.action?b=119223758RR0001&e=2011-12-31&n=THE+CHURCH+OF+JESUS+CHRIST+OF+LATTER-DAY+SAINTS+IN+CANADA&r=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cra-arc.gc.ca%3A80%2Febci%2Fhaip%2Fsrch%2Ft3010form22-eng.action%3Fb%3D119223758RR0001%26e%3D2011-12-31%26n%3DTHE%2BCHURCH%2BOF%2BJESUS%2BCHRIST%2BOF%2BLATTER-DAY%2BSAINTS%2BIN%2BCANADA%26r%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.cra-arc.gc.ca%253A80%252Febci%252Fhaip%252Fsrch%252Fadvancedsearchresult-eng.action%253Fn%253D%2526b%253D119223758%2526q%253D0001%2526s%253Dregistered%2526d%253D%2526e%253D%252B%2526c%253D%2526v%253D%252B%2526o%253D%2526z%253D%2526g%253D%252B%2526t%253D%252B%2526y%253D%252B%2526p%253D1

Note that even though in previous years most of the money was transered to BYU, this time BYU only got 100K. Also note that some wards received money. I recognized a couple of the ward names, so my guess is that all of them are wards.

There are subtantial amounts going to charities in Ecuador, China and Ghana. Anyone has any theories on this?

I don't know why the urls are so long, I won't post more urls but you can find the page for 'detailed financial information' and for 'qualified donees'.

Here is the link to the main charities page, where you can search for your own ward/branch.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/chrts-gvng/lstngs/menu-eng.html

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: xyz ( )
Date: September 07, 2012 05:00PM

Posted by: GC ( )
Date: September 07, 2012 05:17PM

We should make a law up here that all charitable donations for churches have to be spent in Canada.

Mind you, then they'd probably just build another 10 temples up here, but I was thinking that $151 million could do a lot of good things (help the poor, health care, etc) rather than be sucked into SLC!

Date: September 07, 2012 05:31PM

I agree, money should stay here, however Canadian laws allowed money to go to education outside of Canada.

What's interesting and we discussed this in another thread is that the church was transfering millions to BYU probably because that is the only way to transfer money out of Canada to the US, if it goes to an education institution. For 2010 there 101 million dollars transfered to BYU, yes MILIONS. For 2011, over a million is going to Ecuador, China and Ghana. I wonder if they are building temples there and using our money somehow.

Posted by: GC ( )
Date: September 07, 2012 05:36PM

Hmmm ... I'm thinking that this should be brought to the attention of a few NDP members of parliament. I doubt they'd be too impressed with this money being transferred to the US, China, etc. without a good explanation (i.e. transparency) to the members.

Posted by: Samantha Baker ( )
Date: September 07, 2012 05:36PM

TSCC knows this stuff is public info there. It looks better for them. That's it. It looks better.

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: September 07, 2012 09:17PM

Thanks for the update. They really do watch us for tips on improving their image!

Date: September 07, 2012 11:13PM

My thoughts exactly.

Posted by: Naomi ( )
Date: September 07, 2012 11:48PM

Did they really divert millions of dollars to Ecuador, China etc. instead of BYU because of us? Sweet!

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: September 08, 2012 12:58AM

sexismyreligion Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Did they really divert millions of dollars to
> Ecuador, China etc. instead of BYU because of us?
> Sweet!

Sadly though, they probably just switched funds to make the more transparent foreign donations look better. The same amount of money going to those charities were probably already coming from US wards and now are going to BYU (and God knows what else) instead of those charities to replace the Canadian donations.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: September 08, 2012 10:07AM

Yes, and church officials may also have had a concern that Canadian BYU students would wonder why they had to pay any tuition at all (when Canada was sending tens of thousands of dollars per enrolled student to BYU.)

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: September 08, 2012 12:31AM

Its incredible how slimy the money handlers, and attorneys for the mormon church are.

People are entrusting their eternal salvation and their children to these slime balls. disgusting.

Posted by: Apple ( )
Date: September 08, 2012 09:48AM

For a church that has no paid employees, they sure have a lot of paid employees. And at much higher salaries than any of the other churches that I looked at.

Posted by: Naomi ( )
Date: September 08, 2012 10:22AM

And what's the $ 2,833,663 in travel expenses? Missionaries pay their own travel expenses. So do bishops and stake presidents. Whose travel are they paying for?

Date: September 09, 2012 08:42PM

Good observation. I hadn't noticed this detail. I wonder if this includes travel expenses for GAs or other visitors from SLC, since our stake presidencies hardly go to SLC.

There have been times when we've had visitors from SLC. Besides GAs we had visitors from the RS presidency or board as well as YW and othe "famous" sisters or couples from SLC over the years. I overhead a couple of times how 'we' meaning our stake had to pick up the tab for the flight and other expenses. It is common in this area for prominent members of the stake to open their homes and be hosts to visting GAs and others from SLC. I think this is done to save on hotel expenses as well as give bragging right to those hosting. =)

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: September 08, 2012 11:31AM

I'm not sure how much these foreign financial statements really tell us about the spending habits of the LDS church. Since people can see where the money goes for these foreign wards they probably spend THAT money DIFFERENTLY than how they would spend the money here in the US, where its NOT transparent.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: September 10, 2012 12:39AM

They take in $151M and can't hire professional custodial staff? Unbelievable AND disgusting!!

Ron Burr

Posted by: labdork ( )
Date: September 10, 2012 02:38AM

This just got me thinking... How about legislation that required full fuscal disclosure for "churches" that wanted to remain tax exempt? I think it would have huge populace support.

Posted by: maeve ( )
Date: September 10, 2012 09:14AM

What are the charitable donation laws in Ecuador, China, and Ghana? Maybe a lot of the Canadian money funnels through those countries to Mormon headquarters in Salt Lake.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: September 14, 2012 05:20AM

They have taken the link down.

"We apologize, but this link is currently unavailable."

Could there be a reasonable explanation for that?

It's back up now.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/2012 07:03AM by Stumbling.

Date: September 14, 2012 08:41AM

That's interesting. It could have been that they were doing maintenance to their site, which it's usually done overnight. (I'm guessing you're on the o ther side of the pond).

Or, it wouldn't surprise me if the LDS church could get their hand in it, but then again if they did, they would avoid the publications of their assets altogheter, I'm sure.

D

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: September 14, 2012 08:45AM

I think you were right with your first assessment.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.