Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: September 01, 2012 03:46PM

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=148&sid=21957105

This lady was eating in a restaurant in Utah and observed a mother with twin girls potty training her kids right there at the table. She put their port-a-potties on the table, undressed them, and seated them in the restaurant where other patrons could observe.

The woman took a picture of the kids and posted it on Facebook. Later, KSL reported on the story...

Have to wonder if these folks are Mormons or just completely clueless!! Yuck!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: rainwriter ( )
Date: September 01, 2012 03:57PM

Holy cow. Crazy-ites are everywhere.

Date: September 01, 2012 04:04PM

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: September 03, 2012 07:05AM

A child is not "potty trained" if they don't know "where" to go.

I taught a few kindergarten children over the years who needed to be taught basic potty training.

"Go into the restroom before you unzip or take down your pants."

"Close the door."

"Flush."

"Wash your hands."

These are lessons toddlers start to learn when they're between diapers and training pants and it should be the parents' job to teach them moreso than a school teacher.

Posted by: Grumpoledog ( )
Date: September 01, 2012 04:15PM

Mormon entitlement at it's finest right there.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: September 01, 2012 04:33PM

new FHE lesson; Call the Neighbors!

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: September 01, 2012 04:51PM

This is just so wrong, so selfish, so inappropriate, so unsanitary and such poor parenting it's unbelievable that anyone doesn't KNOW this. Even my 13 year old was shocked anyone would do something like this.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: September 01, 2012 04:53PM

It is ridiculous, but to be fair , we don't know that this wasa Mormon and I don't know any Mormons who would do such a thing. Besides, who carries two potty chairs with them?

Date: September 01, 2012 05:00PM

That's true. We don't know if anyone involved is LDS... However, it is certainly shocking behavior. Since Utah is like another country to me and so many here are from Utah, I figured it was topical.

Date: September 01, 2012 05:03PM

I'd like to see the 'actual' pic that was FB posted (did i miss it linked here?)

FB search: leaves A Lot to be desired.

Date: September 01, 2012 05:18PM

Watch the video clip. They show it there.

Posted by: Serendiptiyhappens ( )
Date: September 01, 2012 05:31PM

Wrong on soooo many levels. Mom likely was a mormon since this happened in Lehi, but does it really matter? This behavior really has nothing to do with her being mormon and everything to do with her being STUPID.

Date: September 01, 2012 05:42PM

+1. I just think it makes us look silly when we blame everything on someone being Mormon whether they are or not. Besides, stupid behavior happens in other groups too. I have lived in Utah for 62 years and have never seen this before, so please don't blame it on Utah. We have our share of stupid things, but having babies use a potty chair in restaurant dining rooms isn't one of them.

Date: September 01, 2012 07:27PM

True. This could have happened in GA or NC or CA... But since it happened in Utah, I figured it was topical. I have never witnessed anyone diapering or toilet training their kid in a restaurant, but I have read of a lot of outrageous things going on in Utah restaurants right here on this message board.

I don't know if the people involved are Mormons... I'm guessing they probably were. And I wonder what takes someone to the point at which doing something like this in public becomes okay. Makes me wonder if the mom of the twins was just exhausted or she truly lacked the ability to know what was appropriate in public.

MJ and I rarely agree, but this time I think he's right... A big part of potty training is teaching kids the appropriate place to go to the toilet and the need for privacy.

Posted by: janebond462 ( )
Date: September 01, 2012 08:14PM

stories about stupid behavior, I HIGHLY recommend the STFU, Parents page on FB and www.stfuparentsblog.com (for you non-Facebookers).

It's a great pick-me-up because you realize there are so many people who are more bat-**** crazy than you are. :-)

Date: September 01, 2012 08:17PM

I loved the story. I just didn't see it as Utah or Mormon related. There are non Mormons and inactive Mormons even in Utah county. As I said, I have been here for 62 years and this is a first.

Date: September 01, 2012 08:22PM

That's where I found the story, Miss Jane. ;-)

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: September 01, 2012 05:32PM

Posted by: S. Tissue Trotter ( )
Date: September 01, 2012 08:41PM

I posted that picture before reading the comments. One comment was that the stroller in the picture still had the Wal-mart tag on it. Hahahahahaha.

Posted by: tiptoes ( )
Date: September 01, 2012 08:50PM

If you look closely at this photo, I spy something that looks like garments showing above the waistline.

Mormon or not, I too am speechless that anyone would do this in a restaurant where food is served.

Posted by: fidget ( )
Date: September 01, 2012 08:56PM

I'm sure she will have to live with her parentals proudly showing it to all her boyfriends or girlfriends as she ages.

"..and this is where little Lou Lou tooke her first poop on the potty. She was such a big girl!"

Posted by: nonamekid ( )
Date: September 03, 2012 07:24PM

The look on the face of the kid in the background....priceless.

Posted by: tombs1 ( )
Date: September 01, 2012 08:31PM

If this is not breaking any indecency laws than this lady deserves to be arrested and prosacuted for being a stupid bitch.

Date: September 01, 2012 09:00PM

Indecency is kind of silly when it is in regard to a kid in diapers, but sanitation and the smell of poop in a restaurant are dead serious. Ugh. Like I asked above, who the h*&^ carries not one put tow potty chairs with them when the go out? Two toddlers are plenty

Posted by: german lurker ( )
Date: September 03, 2012 07:44AM

Posted by: eldorado ( )
Date: September 03, 2012 10:36PM

I thought it was bad when I kept seeing parents change diapers poolside this summer.

Posted by: wildlupie ( )
Date: October 31, 2013 08:03AM

The couple who did this to their children had the audacity to sue the blogger who reported on this and I was appalled when I saw how right they thought they were. With all of the poor loving couples in this world who are unable to have children, I have to wonder how these two crazy people managed to have twins. They need to have these children removed from their care IMMEDIATELY without fail. I watched the court case on TV and these crazy people won but only because the blogger who posted it first earned money on her blog. Please tell me someone contacted a child protective agency on behalf of these poor children.

Posted by: skeptifem ( )
Date: October 31, 2013 02:19PM

wildlupie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The couple who did this to their children had the
> audacity to sue the blogger who reported on this
> and I was appalled when I saw how right they
> thought they were. With all of the poor loving
> couples in this world who are unable to have
> children, I have to wonder how these two crazy
> people managed to have twins. They need to have
> these children removed from their care IMMEDIATELY
> without fail. I watched the court case on TV and
> these crazy people won but only because the
> blogger who posted it first earned money on her
> blog. Please tell me someone contacted a child
> protective agency on behalf of these poor
> children.

removed from their care because they potty trained in a restaurant? are you kidding me?
"gee I'm sorry susie and jane, you don't get to see your mom because the state doesn't approve of the way she tried to potty train you. Live with some strangers instead, because thats ideal."

???

I hate to break it to you, but your parents did some stupid shit when they raised you too. You might not remember it (or know about it) but I am sure they had some moments they weren't proud of. They might be better or worse than an attempted public potty training. Luckily your parent(s) could feel bad about it privately instead of having to deal with public scrutiny over whatever their mistake was.

Date: October 31, 2013 01:21PM

using someone else's image or creative work (book, play, movie)... Without Permission to make money isn't my idea of smartness either...

just sayin'

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2013 02:00PM by guynoirprivateeye.

Posted by: BadGirl ( )
Date: October 31, 2013 02:00PM

Posted by: BadGirl ( )
Date: October 31, 2013 02:05PM

and told they are permanently banned.

Posted by: skeptifem ( )
Date: October 31, 2013 02:16PM

It seemed to me like she was just pushed to the edge by having to potty train 2 kids at the same time. That is rough. Like she probably didn't think twice about it, it was a choice between getting them on the potty NOW or dealing with a lot more work later on. I bet she did this at home and it was a reflex. We all do stupid things sometimes. I'm not as freaked out as most people by this. I mean there wasn't anything mean spirited or cruel about this at all. I remember being at the hoggle zoo and some woman told her son "don't button your jacket like that, people will think you are retarded." exchanges like that happen all the time without comment (and certainly without news stories), but they are way more fucked up. So are those news stories that congratulate parents for using humiliation as a punishment on their children (like making kids hold signs that say 'i stole' or whatever in front of a store they took some candy from).

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: October 31, 2013 02:29PM

I have no sympathy. We had twins after already having three kids. DW breast-fed them both, and we potty trained them without having to haul around potty chairs and do it in a restaurant.

This woman should have been even more publicly exposed.

(Old news, however. This happened a while ago.)

Posted by: jonny ( )
Date: October 31, 2013 02:27PM

Ever heard of eating at home??? Potty training is very serious business, and eating out during it is not very smart.

I would have demanded my money back for my meal as even thinking about seeing that makes me want to hurl. Can you imagine smelling that while trying to eat?

I'm sorry but there is no excuse for this. None.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.