Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: reinventinggrace ( )
Date: August 25, 2012 03:58PM

Looks like Monson's seat at Conference will be empty for the rest of his days.

Do ya'all think anyone will actually sit in that seat for the next 20 years?

I don't think so. Not with any regularity, anyway. I think LDS, Inc. will be running General Conferences with an empty driver's seat for a whole generation.

Ages of the next-in-lines --

Packer 87
Perry 90
Nelson 87
Oaks 80
Ballard 83
Scott 83
Hales 80
Holland 71
Eyring 79
Bednar 60

Let's say Monson lingers on for 2 more years in the quiet serenity of his apartment, watching conference on closed caption TV.

Packer can barely sit up on his own now, I don't think he'll be sitting in that chair in two years, if he's even alive.

Perry seems kinda coherent. But will he be able to comfortably occupy that chair when he's 93? Seems pretty dicey.

Nelson isn't a spring chicken, either. All four of these guys are getting very close to the end of their functionality. But, with modern medical technology and a little luck, folks can be kept alive in as zombies long after their brain cells fade away.

So, I'm guessing that one of the Monson/Packer/Perry/Nelson crowd will be kept on life support for another ten years -- long enough for Oaks to get decrepit.

Then, assuming one of the top 8 makes it to 100, it will be 2032 before a weak, frail but sentient Holland or Bednar starts keeping it warm.

What do ya'all think? Your predictions?
RG

** Edit ** Plus, I think modern medicine is more likely to pump these guys up with harmful drugs, with nasty side effects in the cognition and functionality department. So in the Benson era the old guys might be able to hang on to their wits and die on a regular schedule, modern 90-somethings are more likely to be tanked up on drugs that kill their minds sooner but keep the heart ticking longer...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2012 04:00PM by reinventinggrace.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: smithscars ( )
Date: August 25, 2012 04:03PM

Depends - whoops, i thought you were talking about his diaper.

Looks like we need to brace ourselves for a lotta brethren's funerals

Lucky they started having "Emeritis" status so the puppeteers can pull different strings if they need to.

i wonder if there's going to be the year of the emeritis authorities coming sometime soon since these guys keep living on into dementia

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2012 04:12PM by smithscars.

Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: August 25, 2012 04:05PM

It won't be too many years until the profit is a dodo.

Date: August 25, 2012 04:26PM

classic

Posted by: yours_truly ( )
Date: August 25, 2012 04:07PM

Sympathy for some old, frail, 'dignitaries' instead of all those mindblowing new prophecies that have been lifting mankind to higher level of insight, understanding, social justice, that have preceded those men for over 180 years now?

Date: August 25, 2012 04:23PM

hey, check out the dodo, it looks like he will profit sometime

and bednar too.

maybe that's why holland's scared of going on record trying to prove his Book of Mormon technique to Annointed One

too many years of having to say he doesn't know we preach that, afterwards, since he'd be owned by the Annointed One!!

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: August 25, 2012 05:06PM

This is so funny.

Holland doesn't look very healthy to me. I doubt he will make it much further, much less to 90.

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: August 25, 2012 06:04PM

why hasn't God changed the ascension to presidency rule since it's obvious any leader that outlives his colleagues probably isn't fit to preside. This isn't 1890 anymore.

Or... maybe the church is run by a bunch of power achieving men whose goal is personal rather than actually representing Jesus's will.

O God, where art thou? Do something! Why has thou forsaken us, and make us depend on men wearing Depends?

Posted by: reinventinggrace ( )
Date: August 25, 2012 08:19PM

Or, on the other hand, what will the sheeple say when more than half of the quorum of the 12 is sitting out conference in the comfort of their own living rooms? They really haven't had much overt senility in the last 20 years given how many 90-somethings they have, but that could change with this next batch.

And if half of the big 15 aren't functioning, it will be hard to have Board of Directors meetings, too.

RG

Posted by: ozpoof ( )
Date: August 25, 2012 08:22PM

Filled with poos or wees?

Posted by: hellonwheels ( )
Date: August 25, 2012 08:26PM

Soooooooo, how many children do each of them have?

Posted by: puzzled ( )
Date: August 26, 2012 04:34PM

Wait! have I missed something?
Is Monson terribly ill?

Posted by: Subway Jerod ( )
Date: August 26, 2012 05:59PM

Looks like all of the top leadership is "shovel ready"

Posted by: stationarytraveler ( )
Date: August 26, 2012 06:05PM

Thank God these old geezers had their calling and election made sure, which to my understanding means, no death. Ooops, when's the last time any of the special witnesses didn't croak?

These guys are so painted into a corner.

ST

Posted by: freeman ( )
Date: August 26, 2012 06:33PM

reinventinggrace Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> Ages of the next-in-lines --
>
> Packer 87
> Perry 90
> Nelson 87
> Oaks 80
> Ballard 83
> Scott 83
> Hales 80
> Holland 71
> Eyring 79
> Bednar 60

Can't assume they will all die in order. Monson may go for another 3 years, during which time we may lose Packer, Perry and Nelson. For all we know, Oaks will be the next Prophet, and could go for 10 years till he's 93. If that happens Ballard, Scott and Hayles will all likely miss out and Holland will be next in line.

The only thing we can be certain of is that the average age of the Prophet will be close to 90 at all times. Bednar will be the youngest Prophet in decades when he gets his turn, but he will still likely be in his late 70s.

EDIT: Of course, whoever gets the job, and at whatever time in their life, we can all be sure that it was GOD's will, which he carefully managed by giving his anointed servants various different terminal diseases and pulling the trigger in precisely the right order...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/2012 06:35PM by freeman.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: August 26, 2012 07:19PM

It does not matter.

The church has been run by a secret committee which used to be headed by Hinckley. They cracked down when Kimball was a loose canon forbidding this and ordering married people to stop having oral sex. He was an embarrassment.

If you think about it, there has not been a loose canon then. Look, billions of dollars are involved, do you think for one minute they are going to let some drooling toothless mumbling guy who thinks he's a prophet affect the bottom line and destabilize all they have built?

There will never be another prophet. Kimball was the last who believed he was. Hinckley was scared of dying since he'd been posing and lying for years. He up and started telling the truth as old age wrapped around him. They ask him if he's a prophet and he answered, "I am sustained as such." Read: "they think I am."

From now on it will be a procession of geezers and it doesn't matter who they are. We know longer even know who is the president of the committee. They don't want us to know because they must have secrecy to deal with the politics that always surround billions of dollars, the embezzlements, the maneuvering, the lies, the threats.

Anagrammy

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: August 26, 2012 07:41PM

The great irony is that this is the most publicity and potential they've had on their plates for century or more.

Who IS steering the ship? Who is deciding that Dehlin should stay, DCP should go, Joanna Brooks can go on the Daily Show and women can talk about getting the priesthood at FAIR conference?

There is evidence of a strong hand involved. It sure isn't Monson's. Maybe Bain lent them some management talent!

Date: August 26, 2012 07:43PM

Having no identifiable leader is the perfect shield. No interviews, no accountability, no buck stops here.

Ana

Posted by: freeman ( )
Date: August 26, 2012 07:48PM

Something the Muslims got right then.

Date: August 26, 2012 11:34PM

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: August 26, 2012 11:37PM

No one knows the order of the death of the 12 apostles and top leadership. Not to worry. The top leadership is backed up quite nicely by the Presiding Bishopric, as I have been told. It's a well oiled machine that goes on and on without much noticeable change.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.