Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Helen ( )
Date: August 23, 2012 10:48PM

Cut & paste:- In the Parade interview, Ann Romney reportedly says that she "loves" tithing and cries when she gives the check. The comment prompted Mitt Romney to quip: "So do I, but for a different reason."

Now why don't I believe her?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: August 23, 2012 10:51PM

She can afford to pay it without having to worry about paying bills or putting food on the table. Many Mormons can't say that. More evidence of how out of touch she is.

Posted by: citizen ( )
Date: August 23, 2012 10:52PM

+1

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: August 24, 2012 08:07AM

In 2010, when Romney was "unemployed" by his own description, he made $21 million in passive income. I worked every day that year and made a tiny fraction of that. If he hands over $2.1 million to the LDS Church, that is a lot of money, but he still have $19 million to live off. To me, $19 million is more money than I would need in a couple of lifetimes.

The median US family makes $54k. If they give $5,400 to the church, that reduces their gross income to $48,600. Take out 1/3 for taxes and you are at $32k, or less than $3k a month. That's a lot less than over $1.5m per month.

What does Romney get for his money? The backing of the LDS Church is his political and business careers. Do you think he would have been in charge of the Olympics without his church ties? Even John Boehner says that Mormons are his only ardent backers. Meanwhile, the average Joe gets to scrub toilets for his widow's mite.

Posted by: citizen ( )
Date: August 23, 2012 10:51PM

Stockholm Syndrome. Poor woman...

Posted by: neveragain82 ( )
Date: August 23, 2012 11:09PM

What twits.

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: August 23, 2012 11:51PM

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: August 23, 2012 11:45PM

...I throw up a little in my mouth.

I just want to slap that entitled, self-righteous, ignorant, lying beeatch silly.

Posted by: Torvald The Defenestrator ( )
Date: August 24, 2012 02:02AM

So do I.

If they win I'm going to be bulimic.

On the bright side, I'll be thin.

Posted by: lucky ( )
Date: August 23, 2012 11:47PM

I have ZERO sympathy for the PHONY hag. The sooner she is confined to a wheel chair and drooling on herself, the better.

Posted by: thinker ( )
Date: August 24, 2012 07:46AM

that was just mean

Posted by: exrldsgirl ( )
Date: August 24, 2012 12:21AM

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: August 24, 2012 12:30AM

When I paid my tithing, at best I felt a sort of complacent, self-satisfied feeling. I had done my duty and was in good standing before God. It didn't begin to compare with how I felt when I bought my first goat through World Vision, to be donated to a family in Africa. Or anything I've done since then that I knew for a fact benefited the life of someone else here on earth. Knowing I'd made the world a tiny bit better was a thousand times more wonderful feeling than any time I ever paid tithing.

Posted by: smith ( )
Date: August 24, 2012 07:54AM

Thanks for that link to world vision. It goes to show just how out of touch the morg is. Do you know of any other trustworthy place to donate money?

Posted by: Exmo Mo ( )
Date: August 24, 2012 12:18PM

She cries? C'mon, like I believe that.

That's ridiculous. Why would she cry - the woman who has unlimited funds at her disposal???

Unless Mitt is mean and controlling and only lets her have access to some of their millions!

Posted by: notinthislifetime ( )
Date: August 24, 2012 12:37AM

She's really trying to get her mileage out of this tithing thing. Does she think the country is going to hold her in higher esteem for her self-righteous giving? Most people don't run around making sure everyone knows when they give back to the world they live in. Not like tithing gives back anything of real value. I used to think Mitt was the one with the over sized ego but they are peas in a pod.

Posted by: helemon ( )
Date: August 24, 2012 01:29AM

But you cant see their tax returns because then we would know how much she is crying.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: August 24, 2012 08:54AM

I don't have the exact quote at hand, but the other day she siad they wouldn't be showing more returns because they wanted to keep the amount of tithing they paid private. Oh, sure, when it's good for their image, they'll gladly tell the world they give 10% to their church, but now it's too private. Just another version of "sacred, not secret."

Posted by: smithscars ( )
Date: August 24, 2012 09:03AM

And she's cool with saying she's shown "You people" meaning Us people enough Taxes... As if she has the authority to say that.

Posted by: lily ( )
Date: August 24, 2012 01:49AM

As a proud SAHM, what tithing check is she talking about? Oh, the one from her husband's income? Gotcha.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: August 24, 2012 01:51AM

Good point.

Posted by: ozpoof ( )
Date: August 24, 2012 02:02AM

Liar liar. She doesn't work. Does Willard make her pay on her allowance like an effing child? Weirdos.

Posted by: Ragnar ( )
Date: August 24, 2012 07:41AM

I'll bet she cries. She also cries when they have to pay the grocer, or the water bill, or the people who install automobile elevators for them...

Money-hungry, money-grabbing rich kids always cry when they have to pay out anything.

Posted by: smithscars ( )
Date: August 24, 2012 08:21AM

This is almost painful watching Brother and Sister Romney be themselves and reveal how shallow they are. Thank God they are mormons so some of this behavior can be attributed to that craziness, I'm just embarrased they are from my country.

It's a larger example of what being an exmo/nonmo from Utah sometimes feels like. "Yes that news article said [fill in blank] but that's just some of the crazies that live nearby... Other than that its really nice. "

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2012 08:22AM by smithscars.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: August 24, 2012 10:01AM

My mom has always been that way. She tears up over next to nothing and will sob if given half a chance over being humble and not getting her ears pierced or not drinking coffee.

I think it's helpful to laugh at people like that. It shuts off the tears in an instant.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2012 10:18AM by Cheryl.

Posted by: upsidedown ( )
Date: August 24, 2012 12:08PM

If she paid tithing it would be based on 10% of WHAT? That woman doesn't have a Job. She doesn't even clean her own house. Does Mitt pay her for Sex?

I can't think of anything else she could possibly add to their Monastic Dynasty....

"Hey Mitt, I got a job working as a travel agent....just adding my fair share of 20,000 to our 1 billion dollars in assets."

Posted by: Outcast ( )
Date: August 24, 2012 12:12PM

It could be worse. I saw an interview of a rich fundy who said his family "reverse tithes"...claims to give 90% of his income to his church and lives off 10%.

If there's anything more sickening than ultra-religious people, it's COMPETITIVE ultra-religious people.

Posted by: scooter ( )
Date: August 24, 2012 01:32PM

they pay themselves exhorbitant salaries, then pay 90% back to their own self created organization.

in addition to saying they reverse tithe, they also save a lot on taxes.

and yes, it is dishonest. (in case you were wondering)

Posted by: rt ( )
Date: August 24, 2012 12:53PM

Posted by: stbleaving ( )
Date: August 24, 2012 01:39PM

She equates tears with spirituality and isn't afraid to admit it to the American public.

And on another sidenote, if Romney is elected, do ya think the local ward will give him a HT assignment? I'll bet Ann gets called to the stake RSP.

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: August 24, 2012 01:41PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.