Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: sosoon ( )
Date: August 21, 2012 09:01PM

Please don't scare me, but I just got baptised in June, after 2 weeks of investigating, and I am already exhausted by the church. I feel that I should get out before I get too much deeper.

Any thoughts? Advice?

I don't even know who to talk to! My husband did not convert, thankfully. I was going to try to avoid church but it doesnt seem possible. Do I have to go through the whole "leaving" process?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Mårv Fråndsen ( )
Date: August 21, 2012 09:08PM

Write a resignation letter. You don't have to explain why or defend yourself. Just state that you resign your membership.

As soon as it is received (by Greg Dodge in Salt Lake City, or by your bishop) you are officially not a member of LDS Inc.

LDS Inc. will then mess with you by stating that "name removal" will take a while longer, they have a process etc.. Let them do their bureaucratic stuff. It doesn't matter. You are not a member. Eventually they will send you a letter admitting that fact.

Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: August 21, 2012 09:12PM

Go here for a sample letter.
http://www.exmormon.org/remove.htm

You don't ever have to go back. A courtesy call to the Bishop may be helpful to keep you from becoming a project of the faithful.

Posted by: smith ( )
Date: August 21, 2012 09:14PM

Yes, get out. You will be eternally happy that way.

Posted by: En Sabah Nur ( )
Date: August 21, 2012 09:44PM

Good news! The vast majority of converts drop off quickly after baptism and stop attending church. I would suggest you join them. If you don't want to be counted as Mormon on the rolls of the Mormon church, then resign.

Posted by: Cynthia ( )
Date: August 21, 2012 09:51PM

Yes, it would not be strange to anyone if you just quit. I have been to several adult baptisms and most don't come back after attending a couple of times. Resign and be done, you have very little invested don't want to waste any more time and definately none of your finances on the church.

Posted by: ballzac ( )
Date: August 21, 2012 09:52PM

Just don't let them guilt you into staying with stories of how the "adversary" is just working extra hard to plant doubts in your head since you chose the one true church, or similar BS. I wouldn't worry about it too much, you aren't really heavily invested at this point. I bet a lot of us here wished we would have left a few weeks after baptism. Good luck.

Posted by: justrob ( )
Date: August 21, 2012 10:04PM

Your neighbors will probably not talk well about you behind your back... but it's better than the alternative.

Good luck. It's always hard to make life changes... especially 2 in a row.

But, in my experience, regret is one of our more reliable feelings. You might make a mistake, but when you feel that "uh oh" afterward, it's pretty easy to trust your gut there.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: August 21, 2012 10:09PM

I would like to weigh in on the trusting your gut.

When something is the right course for you, you don't have that sick feeling afterward.

They would like to suck up all your spare time and a big chunk of your money that should have gone to your family.

I wish I had been as smart as you.

Best

Anagrammy

Posted by: tawanda2011 ( )
Date: August 21, 2012 10:39PM

Congratulations for finding the truth! Wish we hadn't wasted all that time and money living a lie. The church is not true, never was and never will be. It is all based on lies and preys on good and naive people. Mail or email your letter stating you want your name removed from the roles and want no further contact. Done! Don't let them talk you into a meeting with the bishop or anyone else. Get on with your life and count your lucky stars you got out from a life of misery. Have a great life!

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: August 21, 2012 10:46PM

That's Mormonism. Get baptized now, and a half hour later you're spiritually hungry.

Posted by: Mormoney ( )
Date: August 21, 2012 10:46PM

They say better late than never. Well in your case, better early than late.

It's amazing that the church will allow baptisms after such a short period. They think that you're a "golden investigator" and that the spirit struck you so strong that it's pointless to wait. In my mission, I saw people who were baptised, confirmed, never to return to church.

Everything seems nice and inviting at first, but once you're in, then you've got callings coming out the ying yang, tithing, worthiness interviews.

It's a cult, it's false, it's based on lies and historical revisions.

So glad you caught on so quick. I must say though, you are most certainly not alone. Millions have been in exactly the same boat as you. A form of buyers remorse.

Posted by: ambivalent exmo ( )
Date: August 22, 2012 01:38AM

Question: Do missionaries still challenge investigators
to get baptised at the conclusion of the the first discussion?

The first & last person I ever referred to the missionaries, who took the discussions,
was asked this. It was in 1993.
Is this still the protocol?
I was horrified & apologized profusely.
Oh, the damage I have done as a tbm......
Makes me cringe....

Posted by: justrob ( )
Date: August 22, 2012 02:30AM

I was in Chile from '02 to '04 when Elder Holland was Area President.

He told us to "Challenge evreyone to baptism. You don't have to be in their homes teaching a discussion. If you meet someone on the street, challenge them to baptism. If you buy food at the Almacen, challenge the owner to baptism. etc..."

Needless to say, there was about 5 awkward months of us ending every conversation, with "we want you to be baptized in our church. Will you come this Sunday to start the process"

Including yelling it at street contacts as they were fleeing us.

The stupid things we do to be "obedient."

He also told us we could physically prevent people from leaving until we'd said our piece. So, we'd shake people's hands, & not let go until we'd told them everything & challenged them to baptism (we literally held them there, even if they tried to break the handshake and leave).

One missionary in my apartment literally killed a man that way. The man tried to flee, and the missionary didn't let go. So, the man tried to cross the street to force this crazy missionary to let go. The missionary didn't let go... & the man was struck by a bus & died.

The Elder felt terrible. He obviously hadn't meant to do that... but he hadn't challenged the man to baptism yet, so he didn't let go.

Needless to say, the rule changed pretty quickly after that.

Date: August 22, 2012 05:57AM

Interestingly, I am bipolar, and was in a state of manic euphoria when I joined.

I was a golden convert. LOL. In a way. ;)

Date: August 22, 2012 06:03AM

Thank You!

I'm still like "What if I want to go back?" because I haven't lost my testimony of BoM yet.

I am loosing it pretty fast about the church, after I realize that I have to make ALL new friends, and work my butt off at the church. Its WORK just to GO to church. I don't have time for my old associations, or friends. I can see that its going to take over my entire life. (Which I wanted in June...but now I'm a little smarter and thinking of what I have to loose!)

The coffee really did me in. LOL.

I am quitting. I guess I will make my first and last call to the Bishop.

Posted by: canadianfriend ( )
Date: August 22, 2012 07:51AM

"I'm still like "What if I want to go back?" because I haven't lost my testimony of BoM yet."

The Book of Mormon was written in the 19th century. It is a fraud -- that's been proven. So your testimony is false. That's how Mormons mess with your mind. Get out and don't look back.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: August 22, 2012 08:01AM

I bear my solemn testimony to you that the Book of Mormon is fiction. It didn't happen. It's made up.

The more you learn about the environment Joseph Smith was in in the 1820s the more you will know about where the Book of Mormon actually came from. The more you learn about the archaeology and history of the pre-colombian inhabitants of the Americas the more you will know that the Book of Mormon couldn't have happened they way LDS inc. claims.

Good luck on getting out.

Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: August 21, 2012 10:47PM

If you are asked by one of the faithful if you were offended say "Yes. I was offended by the lack of informed consent".

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: August 22, 2012 12:00AM

You already know it is wrong for you. So resign. And don't let any of them shower you with cookies, invites to everything under the sun, give you more compliments than you have ever heard. They will lovebomb you if you hang around at all and attend sporatically. They will make you a project. So be done with it. Say goodbye and don't be upset when they ignore you or don't even say hi. It is a cult and you must conform or you are a nobody. It is THEIR problem, not yours.

Posted by: suzanne ( )
Date: August 22, 2012 12:25AM

Don't ever go back. You don't owe them anything. You know it's bad, so leave it. It's like missing a turn when you're driving. Just turn around and go back.

Posted by: ontheDownLow ( )
Date: August 22, 2012 12:39AM

As a TBM for 40 years and having baptised more than 20 ppl that I know of..."GET OUT WHILE YOU CAN"!!!!! "THE LONGER YOU STAY THE DEEPER YOU ARE IN" lol no really, be greatful you found us now, cuz you could be a poor sap like me who spent 40 years in this total lie of a church. I want my money and time back!

Posted by: lucky ( )
Date: August 22, 2012 01:15AM

The MORmON church and those running it are NOT entitled to explanations, reasons, how you feel, or anything else.
Let them have the roar of dead silence, and let them figure it out by themselves in their own MORmON terms from there, especially since they claim to know so much. THere you go, MORmONS!

They have lied to you at every turn as they tried to hijack your life and shackle you to their LDS INC treadmill. You owe them NOTHING, NOTHING!!!

Posted by: notsurewhattothink ( )
Date: August 22, 2012 02:49AM

All I can say is "What I would have given to be out 2 weeks after I was baptized!" I would have been 8 years and 15 days old and would have had an extra 14 years to be without the church!

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: August 22, 2012 02:57AM

Actually you never joined anything. There is one legal member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints and that is the only stock holder Thomas S. Monson. How can you be a member of something that you have no representation or real input in the organization? Mormonism is nothing more than a high pressure harassment scam. Be thankful you don't have you whole family caught up in it and leaving will bring their wrath and guilt upon you. Look at it as nothing more than buying into something that seemed better than it really is. You are legally bound to nothing. You can cut ties anytime and if they continue to bother you, it's harassment.

Posted by: newconvert ( )
Date: August 22, 2012 06:14AM

Can you just stop going? Be inactive?

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: August 22, 2012 06:47AM

Otherwise, church pressures will be increasingly worse and it will harder and harder to leave.

I suggest you don't go back. When they call and show up at your door, tell them you need time off to think this through and they should please leave you alone.

Posted by: fidget ( )
Date: August 22, 2012 07:30AM

" I'm still like "What if I want to go back?" because I haven't lost my testimony of BoM yet."

Sosoon, you should really consider looking into the facts about the BOM. Your statement is worrying..

Posted by: Jesus Smith ( )
Date: August 22, 2012 07:39AM

Here's some different advice: Stay, pay & pray. keep going. Pay 10%. Get to the temple. Become a morgbot. Then, come back here in five years and be as messed up as the rest of us on RfM.

None of us regret it, right everyone!??

Posted by: kellie ( )
Date: August 22, 2012 07:49AM

i'm so happy i found someone same situation as me, i was thrilled when i met the missionaries and i was so willing and excited to be baptised for my love of the lord purely, i investigated for about 3 weeks tho could not get into the book of mormon was not really interested if it were true or not and i didnt quite live the words of wisdom, but after attending church few times and getting to know more of there way something is really not feeling right inside me, they call it sin but i dont, i had faith and spiritual feelings before the church since joining they have changed my faith and i'v lost my joy, i am wanting to leave too, not sure how cos they do keep turning up out of the blue, but i must do whats right for me and be strong in my own faith, let me know how it goes please x good luck

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: August 22, 2012 08:11AM

So...you haven't yet learnt the secret handshakes required to get into heaven, or committed your time, talents and everything you own to building up Mormonism?

What about the bit where your husband can't be with you in heaven unless he gets baptised and goes to the temple with you so you should consider marrying one of the single Mormon men.

What about cleaning the Chapel, you on the rota yet?

RUN FOR YOU LIFE!
Don't speak to anyone from your ward ever again. Don't answer the door to them, don't answer the phone, don't reply to texts or e mails. If they approach you in the street just blank them and walk on. No matter how bad you feel about doing this, believe me when I say that nothing good will come from you being polite to them.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: August 22, 2012 08:24AM

You are not responsible for their hurt feelings. Their church programmed them to be sad and disappointed if someone decides to move on. Normal churches don't hound people, only cults.

Posted by: caedmon ( )
Date: August 22, 2012 08:30AM

You may be able to slip away and quietly resign. But don't be surprised if they try to love-bomb or guilt you into staying. Understand that mormons do not observe the normal social boundaries. Most people try to be polite hoping that the mormons will 'get the hint' and leave them alone. They usually don't 'get the hint'. People often are pushed to the wall and end up being blunt when politeness doesn't work. Then the mormons huff away complaining about how rudely they were treated.

Posted by: deconverted2010 ( )
Date: August 22, 2012 08:34AM

sosoon, you said:

>. I don't have time for my old associations, or friends. I can see that its going to take over my entire life. <

I am a convert too and I wish I had seen what you are seeing, that it would take over my life and that I would lose my old friends. I was in for 22 years. I've been out for a few months. I look at my life and feel sad to see that the mormon associations were just while I was a good mormon. It did take over my life and I allowed it and now I am left to kind of start all over again. However, I feel at peace.

I did stop attending after a couple of weeks but I went back a few months later. I wish I had your luck and had received advise from a board like this. Run, run and don't look back! And to avoid future contact, send your resignation letter.

D

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.