Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: escholl ( )
Date: August 18, 2012 05:54PM

I guess I'm a little confused by everyone's response about the Bishop's Storehouse. I understand why the initial thread was started, however I disagree that because of that one instance where you had some cranky old missionary, that the church isn't true and that the Bishop's Storehouse is some soup kitchen from Auschwitz.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: August 18, 2012 05:55PM

I didn't see the original thread, but that's something I actually remember doing that I enjoyed. I worked at the storehouse several times and I got to work this machine which put the lids on the cans and for some reason, I thought that was fun. LOL

Posted by: mindlight ( )
Date: August 18, 2012 05:58PM

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/2012 07:56PM by mindlight.

Posted by: Glo ( )
Date: August 18, 2012 06:19PM

Mormonism is Not true, regardless of what the expriences at the storehouse were for some people.

Posted by: dareuslikeparis ( )
Date: August 18, 2012 09:16PM

+1

Posted by: liedtomywholelife ( )
Date: August 18, 2012 06:24PM

Eric, is that you?

Posted by: rutabaga ( )
Date: August 18, 2012 07:16PM

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,536596,536596#msg-536596

My point was that for a church that professes to look outward to the poor and needy, first on the scene at natural disasters and hurricanes, it is not.

This family walked 4 miles from town to the storehouse, they were turned down for a bag of groceries and had to walk four miles back home. All because they weren't "members"

The mormon church only looks inward.

Posted by: Ctus ( )
Date: August 19, 2012 03:28PM

Posted by: rutabaga ( )
Date: August 20, 2012 10:17AM

My bad.

Posted by: mormonista ( )
Date: August 18, 2012 08:18PM

The Bishops store house and their "managers" are equipped to handle walk ins.

The store house has never been "just for members".

It would be so easy for them to get a ride home.

All charities have qualifications, it is how they sort out the free loaders from the truly needy.

If by some small chance this really did happen......The person who sent them away was way off base. This would never happen at 99% of the Bishops Storehouse around the world.....

Posted by: John_Lyle ( )
Date: August 19, 2012 04:54PM

Excuse me, I'm new here...

Are you for real?

Date: August 19, 2012 10:39PM

Did you find something wrong with my comment?

I have been on the board since 2006. I have been out of the church since 2004.

Posted by: amos2 ( )
Date: August 18, 2012 08:36PM

Mormons may be the nicest, most generous, and superlative in every way...but the church STILL isn't true.
God and Jesus don't exist.
They didn't appear to Joseph Smith.
Moroni is fiction.
He didn't give Smith gold plates, which are also fiction.
Smith lied. It's. That. Simple.
The Book of Mormon is a demonstrable fake.
There never was any priesthood and there was no restoration of the priesthood by ressurrected angels.
Mormon culture evolved naturally like all religion did, prompted by myths and deliberately manmade institutions.
The storehouse doesn't change that. Mormon niceness doesn't make it true.

Date: August 18, 2012 09:02PM

I have not read one single comment that claimed the Bishop storehouse made the church true.......

Posted by: Serendiptiyhappens ( )
Date: August 18, 2012 09:15PM

Huh, I personally witnessed a muslim family getting assistance at a bishop's storehouse. There was no halal meat for them, but the family was very happy to have some produce, flour and household goods. The church still isn't true, but the Muslim family WAS helped.

Posted by: Ragnar ( )
Date: August 19, 2012 03:21AM

Did they bring a written "food order" with them? Those that I know who go to the storehouses had to have a pre-approved order.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: August 19, 2012 11:04PM

My father ran a church farm for 20 years. All of those years there was a constant stream of members that came and worked for free. Some worked in the fields, some worked in the processing barn.

I don't think they knew that 100% of the food they helped to produce and process was SOLD to Smuckers. They thought it was going to the bishops storehouse to feed needy members.

There were sign-up sheets in every ward. Every ward had an hourly quota to fill at the church farm. There was a lot of pressure to put in your share of time. I wonder what would have happened if they had found out they were working for free so the church could rake in money to build a mall in SLC. A mall that the majority of them couldn't afford to shop at.

Posted by: absolutelyunsure ( )
Date: August 24, 2012 10:00AM

This is what bothers me. I am more than happy to help someone or to provide support for a charity, but when I am working for free for somebody's or something’s profit (not prophet…or maybe they are synonymous) and am told I am helping the less fortunate, then the blood starts boiling.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2012 10:01AM by absolutelyunsure.

Posted by: escholl ( )
Date: August 24, 2012 07:21AM

I do have a testimony of the Book of Mormon; there are many instances where church leaders have been far from perfect.As President Faust said: "We should look past any perceived imperfections, warts, or spots of the men called to preside over us, and uphold the office which they hold." I know that you think that I'm just some idiot raised in the church and that I've been deceived. I haven't. I definitely respect and have admiration for all that have posted

Posted by: fidget ( )
Date: August 24, 2012 07:25AM

You have been deceived. Why are you here?

Posted by: Ragnar ( )
Date: August 24, 2012 07:37AM

"We should look past any perceived imperfections, warts, or spots..."

Perceived!?

Faust is not admitting that there are ANY "imperfections, warts, or spots." He is again saying that they are perfect, and what they do should be viewed as perfect. If anyone sees any imperfections in these guys, then it is just a problem of YOUR perception, not them.

LDS Corp members often say that their leaders are not perfect and make mistakes. That is a cop-out. Faust claims perfection.

Posted by: davesnothere ( )
Date: August 24, 2012 07:41AM

Well, then “your” imperfect leaders are being piss-poor stewards of all the money they’re collecting in Jesus Christ’s name.

Do you honestly think that Christ would approve of the billions of dollars spent by a church proclaiming to be his church here upon earth on building a high-end shopping mall and luxury condos in SLC instead of putting that money to use to actually help the poor, the sick, and less fortunate?

If you do then the Christ you believe in is one miserable, sick, stingy old SOB.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2012 07:42AM by davesnothere.

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: August 24, 2012 09:38AM

Welcome escholl! I hope you stick around and learn some new stuff here. I was once like you and had the same feelings about the LDS church. However I kept an open mind and with a little research have come to realize Mormonism did NOT come from God. The LDS church is CLEARLY a man made institution.

I recommend that you check out the following:

http://20truths.info/
http://packham.n4m.org/tract.htm
www.MormonThink.com
http://lds-mormon.com/
www.utlm.org

This is mostly a recovery (and bitch) board for ex-Mormons, but the above websites will show you the UNEDITED history of Mormonism. And YES you can't always TRUST the internet, but you have a BRAIN so its OKAY to use it! Verify the sources and check out the Mormon apologists websites/books (www.fairlds.org) to see what their rebuttals are. You will quickly come to the realization that you been kept in the dark (and in many cases LIED to) by the LDS church.

Good luck on your path to learning the truth!

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: August 24, 2012 08:57AM

What the hell is a "soup kitchen from Auschwitz"?

soup kitchen = charity for the poor

Auschwitz = location of torture and murder by Nazis

Hruh? How does that even make any sense?

Posted by: Atz ( )
Date: August 24, 2012 10:02AM

May I offer a few tid bits to your Faust Quote:

"We should look past any perceived imperfections, warts, or spots of the men called to preside over us, and uphold the office which they hold."

It is this exact quote that bothered me for 40 years, until I finally resigned. You see, I began defining some of those so called "perceived imperfections" in the leaders. Some of those "imperfections, warts, and spots" are so huge and signficant, the description becomes far from accurate.

For instance, as a mormon I learned that Joseph Smith had 31+ wives, married 11 women who were already married to other good (living) men, married a number of young teens. Two wives that particularly bothered me were Fanny Alger and Helen Mars Kimball. Do honestly feel that this type of activity is wart/spot like in nature?

I learned that Brigham Young was extremely racist. For instance, if a white woman married a black man, he taught that both should be put to death, including their offspring. I also learned that he taught it was okay to murder people in cold blood (i.e. blood atonement).

Current leaders are more concerned about a 4 Billion dollar mall than helping others.

There is absolutely no evidence of the BOM anywhere. Not one shred of DNA, archeological, linquisitic, cultural, monetary, etc. Zero, nada, nothing whatsoever.

The evidence against the church is overwhelming. You need to wake up, like I did.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.