Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: kjourney ( )
Date: August 15, 2012 06:48PM

So my TBM sister told me this story. It's been passed along a few times so the details might be off, but you'll get the gist of the story.

In fast and testimony meeting a man got up to tell this story of a co-worker's parents (or something like that). A senior couple decided to put in their papers to go on a mission. They marked that they wanted to stay in the states due to health reasons. When the call came it was to Russia. The couple declined the call. A year or so later they decided to try again. Again they marked their preference to stay in the states, and once again got called to Russia. They declined, only to have this happen a third time a few years later. The couple decided that if God wanted them to go to Russia so badly they would go.

Once the couple arrived in Russia, their first assignment was to serve in a prison (I don't even think missionaries serve in prisons-right?). While serving in the prison they were compelled to investigate a particular cell where the prisoner didn't speak any Russian.

To their amazement and joy they discover their long lost son who went missing 15 years ago while backpacking in Europe. He was mistakenly put in prison for a crime he didn't commit, but was unable to defend himself due to the language barrier. The couple was able to get him out of prison and safely back to the states where they lived happily ever after.

Sounds like a B.S. faith promoting story if I've ever heard one. My other TBM sisters and mom were totally eating it up to.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: August 15, 2012 06:54PM

After 15+ years of total immersion, you learn. The brain is hard-wired to pick up language as a survival tool. H@ll, I was in Russia for a month. At the end of my stay, I understood much of what was said around me (receptive language) and I could speak quite a few Russian words and phrases.

;o)

Posted by: caedmon ( )
Date: August 15, 2012 07:04PM

The Russians would never allow American missionaries into their prisons. I call BS.

Posted by: southern should login ( )
Date: August 15, 2012 07:06PM

There is simply no way that the man wouldn't learn even basic Russian in that time. Of course this story also functions on the assumption that Russians are uncultured, alcoholic idiots. In the real world, with so many fluent English speaking Russians throughout their country, it would have been a simple matter to find a translator. Probably a prison employee even. Also, Russian prison authorities would no better than to hold an American captive for so long without contacting the embassy.

It's just a fluff piece, no real substance.I don't think I would be able to resist pointing out all the plot holes. If my mil brings this one up, I'm prepared lol

Posted by: xyz ( )
Date: August 15, 2012 07:09PM

That was so spayshul! My bowels are moved!

Posted by: ducky333 ( )
Date: August 15, 2012 10:12PM

xyz, you are my hero.

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: August 15, 2012 07:10PM

Total BS. If an American would have been discovered in a Russian prison after going missing for 15 years, it would have been all over the news, especially Utah news. Where is the evidence for this story? You should ask for a name. Betcha anything they can't trace this story back to anything.

Posted by: littlejules ( )
Date: August 15, 2012 07:14PM

This sounds totally bogus! Why wouldn't they have tried to find him 15 years ago? I agree also that he would have picked up the language. Also, there is no way they would let the missionaries go to the cell area... Or even inside the prison.

Posted by: John_Lyle ( )
Date: August 16, 2012 12:34AM

Their bishop told them to give the money they were going to use to find him to the Jesus Mall...

Posted by: dazed11 ( )
Date: August 15, 2012 07:23PM

That is so an urban legend. The Russian courts don't have translators?

Posted by: sometimes lurker ( )
Date: August 15, 2012 07:38PM

Bullshit story, another one of those things ginned up around the myth that the united states is the only country where people don't go to jail all the time. Someone probably bit it off some other urban myth.

Posted by: EssexExMo ( )
Date: February 18, 2013 11:32AM

sometimes lurker Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Bullshit story, another one of those things ginned
> up around the myth that the united states is the
> only country where people don't go to jail all the
> time.

Indeed and, funnily enough, the opposite is true. The USA has the highest prison population (as a percentage of population) in the entire world.......... Go USA!

Posted by: Adult of god ( )
Date: August 15, 2012 07:54PM

So, what is the moral of the story? That you should never turn down a mission call? Think of the three extra years that poor boy had to spend in an awful Russian prison. Oh the guilt!

Posted by: John_Lyle ( )
Date: August 16, 2012 12:36AM

Somebody in here, somewhere, wasn't worthy...

If the guy had just prayed harder and kept up his tithing, he would have gotten out a long time ago...

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: August 15, 2012 08:02PM

Why didn't god just 'inspire" the Russians to let him go instead of have his parents refuse a mission call 2 times, then finally go, and then accidentally find their son. Also, how did they get him out? Was their Russian so good that they could do all the talking that couldn't be done over the previous 15 years?

Amanda Knox was in an Italian prison and was speaking fluent Italian at her trials within a few years. 15 years in a Russion jail and no one can communicate with this guy and he can't skeap Russian? BS!

I swear, if god wanted a TBM to be 5 miles east of where they were standing, he would "inspire" them to walk west for 25,000 miles until they arrived at the spot that was 5 miles east of where they were before.....then the TBM would call it a miracle!

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: August 15, 2012 08:05PM

...some are just purpose-built BS in the tradition of Joseph Smith. I imagine the perpetrators, sitting back, sorting through various tried-and-true plot devices, coming up with little faux details and new twists, then trying it out on a test audience. I imagine them being thrilled when the story takes off, when they run into their handiwork on the other side of the planet.

Remember the almost instantaneous spread of the story about a mission meeting in the World Trade Center being relocated? Some unprincipled jerk must have been wondering, as the towers were falling, how he could exploit the 9/11 tragedy in the name of the LDS church. Yeah, it's what Mormon Jesus would want. What's wrong with a lie that brings people to The Truth®? That's what religion does, right? Or maybe the stories are created by people who just like to F with Mormons. Ha! Look what they're believing now!

Posted by: stbleaving ( )
Date: August 15, 2012 09:01PM

If it were real, it would've been splashed all over Deseret News and the Ensign. The son would be on the fireside circuit. The faithful senior missionary parents would have written a book and be giving keynote addresses at Education Week and Time Out for Women.

However, this faith-inducing falsehood could still be worked into a General Conference address a la Paul H. Dunn.

Posted by: bingoe4 ( )
Date: August 16, 2012 12:47AM

MY Arizona aunt's friends son, on a mission to Mexico found the family's pickup truck that had been stolen the year before. Still had the US license plate. Supposedly the dad went down there and stole it back.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: August 16, 2012 12:58AM

And my first thought was, what sort of lame-ass parents are sitting around thinking of serving a mission when their son was missing? The first time they applied was what...10 years after he disappeared. Let me tell you, I might have gained some sort of acceptance at that point, moved on a bit with my life but I sure as hell would still be directing every extra penny and ounce of energy toward finding my baby. I would NOT be going on a senior mission because my funds would have been wiped out by my constant searches and I would NOT stray from home, just in case. I would be looking for my son until the day I died.

This missionary couple does not sound like someone I'd like to know.

Posted by: frankie ( )
Date: August 16, 2012 01:26AM

very fake story, the facts don't add up. like ca girl said, they shouldn't have the funds to go on a mission, cuz they should of spent their money on a P.I. what lame parents they are

Posted by: Becca ( )
Date: August 16, 2012 08:42AM

WHat a load of cr#p!

Seriously, how brain dead are you if you believe that?!

Good grief.... I wonder who makes that kind of stuff up... because that is one awful story teller!

Posted by: T-Bone ( )
Date: August 16, 2012 02:05PM

Why in the world did they not find him before that?

Were they busy cleaning toilets?

I'm with everybody else. This is total BS. Why did not end up Good Morning America, with a book deal, movie deal, and his own product line?

In addition, I doubt they allow missionaries in to Russian prisons. And how did he NOT know any Russian after 15 years? Is it because he did not learn it on a mission? LOL!

T-Bone

Posted by: pepperoma ( )
Date: February 18, 2013 12:10AM

This story has resurfaced as a senior couple serving in Mongolia. It's got a few details that make it a bit more believable.

I am annoyed.

Posted by: crom ( )
Date: February 18, 2013 11:20AM

An international incident of this proportion went completely unnoticed by newspapers everywhere? And no one can answer who was arrested, what crime they were accused of, which prison he was found in, what Secretary of State Albright did about it at the time, etc. etc. etc.?

Trouble with F&S meeting, you're not allowed to disagree or raise objections.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2013 11:22AM by crom.

Posted by: Not logged in (but ususally Duffy) ( )
Date: February 18, 2013 11:36AM

I can't remember how long ago - my guess would be about 2 years or so. But I know I read this exact story on this board from somebody else who had heard it being passed around by TBMs.

It doesn't make any sense as being "true". It does seem to be an FPR designed to reinforce to TBMs that they do not know what is right for them and they should submit to their leaders in all things, regardless of the expected outcome. "Here is proof that you are incapable of running your own life. You must let us run it for you."

Sick, sick cult!

Posted by: whatiswanted ( )
Date: February 18, 2013 12:11PM

Funny how they completely ignore that many Russians speak English.

Lying for the lord is accepted in Mormonism

Posted by: Yaqoob ( )
Date: February 18, 2013 12:38PM

The only place on the whole wide Interwebs where this fake story is being discussed is at RFM!!!

It's fake.

Posted by: Warbo ( )
Date: May 13, 2013 02:38PM

In the version I heard of this story, the missionary couple didn't speak the language very well and the son did, so the son was supposed to act as a translator between the couple and one of the prisoners and that's how they met up. That makes it more believable, but I'm still pretty skeptical of this story because I can't find any viable source.

Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: May 13, 2013 02:41PM

Confident it is a fraud. Mormon missionaries are reduced to giving free English lessons in Russia, are you able to guess what is the subject matter of the lessons?

Posted by: iflewover ( )
Date: May 13, 2013 05:06PM

Cub Scouts wouldn't believe this campfire tale. Sample 8-year old questions:

"Couldn't he call home from the prison? Don't they have phones in Russia?"

"Didn't he learn to speak the language after a few years?"

"How come his mom and dad didn't go look for him 15 years ago?"

"How come God didn't just help the son escape?"

Gaaaah.

Posted by: rose park ranger ( )
Date: May 13, 2013 05:19PM

If they had enough money to go on a mission, the Russian goverment or Russian Mafia (same thing sometimes), would have found an English speaker to shake down the parents for a "fine" after the payment of which he would be released.

Posted by: crom ( )
Date: May 13, 2013 05:29PM

This is the second time I've heard this mormon legend.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.