Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Redwing ( )
Date: August 08, 2012 06:46AM

Watched the Godfather last night & this quote made me stop & go back over it: "Do you believe in the holy ghost, the holy Catholic church?"

Background - Michael Corleone is at the christening of his nephew/godson & the priest is asking him these questions about the trinity. Did I misunderstand, or does the Catholic church consider itself the holy ghost? At any rate, I thought it was an odd thing to say. Was it just movie dialogue, or is the question really asked like that at a christening?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: jwjbarrett ( )
Date: August 08, 2012 08:16AM

The full question is:

Do you believe in the Holy Ghost, the Holy Catholic Church, the communion of Saints, the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body and life everlasting?

The Holy Ghost and the Church are two different items in a list of things you (or, if you're an infant, your godparents) are asked if you believe in.

Posted by: Redwing ( )
Date: August 08, 2012 08:26AM

Ah, I see. The dialogue was not complete in the movie. Thank you for taking the time to explain it. Makes lots more sense now.

Posted by: fishbird ( )
Date: August 08, 2012 10:04AM

The church part is lower case, not the "Catholic" church, but "catholic" (universal) church. A bishop once told me (a nevermo) that I believed in the Catholic church because I said the Apostolic Creed. I couldn't talk him out of it.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.