Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Drew90 ( )
Date: August 03, 2012 03:28PM

I have to wait everyday for the person to show up before I can leave. She's always late. I'm always getting out much later then I'm supposed to just waiting for her to show up. If I can show up at 7 on time she can show up at noon on time. I just had to vent somewhere.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: diableavecargent ( )
Date: August 03, 2012 03:40PM

Sounds like that idiot concept of Mormon standard time. Is that the problem?

Posted by: Outcast ( )
Date: August 03, 2012 03:43PM

Chronic lateness...it's in my top 5 pet peeves. I have a sister who is always 30 minutes to an hour late. She showed up late to our grandfather's funeral.

Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: August 03, 2012 04:35PM

He was so chronically late for everything his whole life that the standing joke was that he'd be late for his own funeral. When he actually died, the hearse carrying his casket took a wrong turn off the interstate on the way to the cemetary. Our limo, carrying the immediate family, of course continued on the correct course out of town . . . with the entire funeral possession following US without the deceased.

My mom and aunt were laughing and crying at the same time at the blunder. They kept squealing, "God d@mmit he did it! Dad was late to his own funeral!"

We all made it to the cemetary without the corpse and the crowd had to wait for the hearse to arrive for about 1/2 an hour. Hysterical. Sure lightened the mood for everyone who knew my grandpa well.

Unfortunately, I inherited my grandfather's genes. I'm chronically late to everything (5-15 minutes). I swear it's a biological glitch of some kind. I just can't seem to estimate how long it takes to accomplish specific tasks to get out the door. I always underestimate.

I know my lateness drives people batty. My family has learned to tell me that events actually start 1/2 hour earlier than scheduled. That seems to work pretty well. It also works when I do it to myself! When I write down a doctor's appointment for 1/2 early, I tend to make it on the dot - even when I consciously KNOW that I've tricked myself.

Go figure.

;o)

P.S. And I apologize en masse to everybody who has ever had to wait for me.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2012 04:38PM by shannon.

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: August 03, 2012 03:50PM

That is my pet peeve as well. To me, it say the person who is chronically late does not respect me or my time and thinks their time is more important than anyone else's.

I wait exactly 15 minutes for other people. Absent any communication "I'll be late, hold on!" I dip right out. I will wait longer if I have a heads up and can make more valuable use of my time while I'm waiting.

Posted by: rationalguy ( )
Date: August 03, 2012 03:53PM

In my 40 years of work experience at all kinds of places.....

Top reasons for getting fired: 1. Always Late. 2. Not showing up.

Posted by: Omg ( )
Date: February 22, 2017 04:09AM

If it was such a huge deal why didn't you 1. Go without them 2. Pick THEM up 3. Tell them an earlier time to make y'all "on time"

It's not that hard. Don't complain. Don't be mean. You have flaws too. Just like you can find ways to deal with your own flaws, do the same for others. You'll have a happier life.

Sure they could just be on time, but with people like that you know it's NEVER going to happen. Find a way to get around it.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: February 22, 2017 04:42AM

As an elementary teacher, I knew that children could be scared, injured, or possibly die if the adult in charge didn't show up. Bad things can happen within a minute or two.

I had to comfort and care for many children who thought their parents didn't love them or were dead in a car crash because they foolishly left kiddies standing on a corner alone waiting for them.

Parents be on time picking up your child. Unavoidable delays warrant a phone call and an apology.

Posted by: Elaine Dalton ( )
Date: August 03, 2012 04:04PM

I HATED waiting to be picked up for young women's on a Tuesday night. My leader would come half an hour late every week by which time there was no point in even going.

Posted by: mindlight ( )
Date: August 03, 2012 04:22PM

I firmly believe there are late people and early people. I am an early person. Always have been always will be.

I could easily go on a rant about it and the late ones always have their excuses handy. They are SO important, don't ya see.

I learned young to avoid continually late people for my mental health. lol

raises my b/p just thinking about it :P

Posted by: raisedbyjackmormons ( )
Date: August 03, 2012 04:40PM

Late people are only thinking of themselves... thoughtless and arrogant. I won't wait anymore. I leave kind notes and messages telling the late person where I've gone when they didn't show up.

Posted by: builder ( )
Date: August 03, 2012 05:19PM

I hate it with a passion to be late or having to wait for those who have no respect for those who are on time. As my name says; I'm self employed in construction and have to meet with potential clients. I make it a point to be 5-10 min early every time. I have had home owners open the door and just stair at me. "Is there a problem" I ask. "You Showed Up and on Time"
Well yea, we do have an appointment don't we? This is my job.
To those who are always late, please think of us who value our time.

Amen...

Posted by: Rachel Midtovne ( )
Date: August 03, 2012 05:20PM

Many people are late because it is their way of control. They control when things start, not you. They aren't aware of this, but you will find that many manipulative people are often late. Being late doesn't make you one of these people, it's just that it's seen more in people with control issues. It's their way of controlling the situation.

Posted by: Glo ( )
Date: August 03, 2012 05:26PM

What do you mean you can't leave?
Of course you can.

Put an end to the abusive situation by either leaving promptly or charging for your additional time.

Posted by: Drew90 ( )
Date: August 03, 2012 05:42PM

It's a cashier position so I have to count out the drawer after too. I just got the drawer and took it to the back right when she was ready. Just as a huge rush was coming in.

Posted by: time4u ( )
Date: February 22, 2017 06:38AM

Drew90 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It's a cashier position so I have to count out the
> drawer after too. I just got the drawer and took
> it to the back right when she was ready. Just as a
> huge rush was coming in.

In my youth, I worked as a cashier, then in the office. They held off moving me to the office because I was so reliable as a cashier, then an office boss failed to tell me of a promotion position available much closer to my home, because I was such a "strong closer." (Her boss told me, and I got the position.)

You don't have a co-worker problem. You have a boss problem.

Your boss doesn't mind using you, as long as it means less/no work dealing with the late employee.

How you deal with it depends on how well you like your job, and if you can get another. You could tell the manager that you will start looking for another job, because you're tired of covering for ms. rude. It might help, if you are otherwise a low-maintenance employee whom the lazy manager values.

The problem is that people who need their jobs tend to show up on time, and lazy managers use it against them.

She should be clocking in with enough time for her to count up her drawer, so you can leave at noon. The manager can fill in for her if you leave on time, and nothing will change if you keep covering for ms. rude and the lazy boss.

btw, you can leave at noon whether she's there or not. The manager knows how to operate the cash register, and is the one not doing his or her job. You can say that you "have an appointment for an interview, and plan on being on time."

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: August 03, 2012 05:28PM

I am like you. Being punctual is a sign of being a rsponsible person. People often don't even try. They just are late always. It urks me too.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: August 03, 2012 05:41PM

In some Latino dominated areas and countries , you do not show up until about 30 minutes to an hour after the time you are given for dinner.

When I was still in Yuma (heavily Latino city), some co-workers and I planned to get together for sushi another for a co-worker's B-day. I bought a present for her and dutifully went to the restaurant at the set time even though I wasn't feeling so hot. After about 15 minutes, no one showed up. Like others here, I get fucking irritated by late people. After fuming for 30 minutes, I started walking to my car and a couple of the others showed up. They apologized and explained it's typical in the area for people to be 30-45 minutes late to everything.

Yeah, I don't dig that. It pisses me off to no end. I am a little nuts about this and getting things done in a reasonable amount of time. I've known waaay too many people who refuse to be punctual...so I don't spend too much of my time with them. I can also see why many companies now have a "4 tardies and you're gone" policies implemented.

There is, however, an actual mental/brain issue for *some* people who lose track of time and they really can't help it. Those are the people you give an earlier time to attend.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2012 05:44PM by Itzpapalotl.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: August 03, 2012 05:46PM

Knowing that I'm going to be late causes me anxiety attacks. And it irks me even more when I have to wait for late people who act like "Okay, we can start now" once they arrive, or have the nerve to get mad when we start without them.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: August 03, 2012 05:49PM

Is there a supervisor or someone else you can complain to, 48erhater? Your coworker is late because there have been no consequences for it. And perhaps you've been too accommodating.

Posted by: fidget ( )
Date: August 03, 2012 06:01PM

Being late is a major pet peeve of mine. My husbands family runs on Mormon standard time. They were once an hour late to dinner....at a restaurant!

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: August 03, 2012 09:19PM

It is rude! crude! and socially unacceptable!

Many times I have seen whole families wander into the chapel 15 minutes late, disrupt the service, and noisily plunk their bottoms down on the front row of the chapel.

Posted by: anonemouse ( )
Date: August 03, 2012 09:55PM

I was an early person my ex was a late person. That caused icredible problems in our marriage. If I hAd a dollar for every hour I waited for her I could retire.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: August 03, 2012 10:06PM

My ex was always late, which is why he was definitely a TBM since he did run on Mormon Standard Time. When he wasn't fired for refusing to work on Sundays, he got fired for being late to work. This was obviously outside of Utah, and he always worked at places that were open on Sundays.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2012 10:07PM by adoylelb.

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: August 03, 2012 10:11PM

I enjoy being late. It creates suspense.

Posted by: quinlansolo ( )
Date: August 03, 2012 10:13PM

I can't stand people late more than once. They are either fired or have to find someone else to wait for them. I consider it one of the worst insults.

Posted by: bigred ( )
Date: August 03, 2012 10:31PM

Interesting - I have problems with being late....mostly because things always take longer than I anticipate. (6 kids and all) - but I found when I was working in the corporate world that no matter how much earlier I awoke - it didn't matter. Then when I had a 'calling' in the church to be the ward music leader - same thing. The kids would fight me until there was not one more second I could wait - I always got there just in the nick of time. UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Lilith ( )
Date: August 03, 2012 10:49PM

Id tell him/her that you must be off on time for (any) reason.

When my children were very little we had a book The Little TeddyBear of Bumpkin Hollow.(I think that is it) Story is bear family going to Grandmas and if he isnt back from playing they will go without him, and they do. Now if you DID this someone would call protective services. But my point is people can be taught by not waiting on them in social circumstances.

Seems this is talk about my husband week, but his ex was a Late Diva and I asked why they never just left without her? he doesnt know. She used it to be so late they just stayed home (from stuff she didnt really want to do) or left for vacation hours later than planned. I told him the Teddy Bear story. lol

Posted by: Tall Man, Short Hair ( )
Date: August 03, 2012 10:53PM

The only time I was glad for a person being late was when Mrs. Tall Man was late and Short Girl, No Hair arrived 9 months later.

Posted by: badassadam ( )
Date: February 22, 2017 05:06AM

Vent away my friend

Posted by: de ja vue ( )
Date: February 22, 2017 07:41AM

I know there can be extenuating circumstances but most often I deem it a problem of lazyiness and chronically late people, I believe, most always have underlying control issues, and enjoy making grand entrances and being the center of attention.

I know I can choose how I respond/deal with them and I choose to leave without them. I refuse to let them manipulate and grand stand in my world. Sounds harsh I know but I usually only have to do it once to get better compliance. I have zero tolerance for those who habitually abuse the time table. Gurr...

Posted by: Now a Gentile ( )
Date: February 22, 2017 08:22AM

My ex was chronically late. I started telling her that for whatever place or event we were going to, it started half an hour earlier. We started being on time. It took a few months for her to figure out what I was doing and we started being late again. I started telling her an hour earlier and we were on time again...till she figured it out again. She just HAD to be late and I couldn't stand it.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.