Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Objective Truth ( )
Date: December 18, 2010 02:09PM

At this point William Clayton is plurally married to two sisters, and desires to take the third sister in marriage, how nice:

"September 15, 1843

President Joseph told me he had lately had a new item of law revealed to him in relation to myself. He said the Lord had revealed to him that a man could only take 2 of a family except by express revelation [aka the Joseph Smith exception] and as I had intended to take Lydia, he made this known for my benefit. To have more than two in a family was apt to cause wrangles and trouble. He finally asked if I would not give Lydia to him. I said I would so far as I had anything to do in it. He requested me to talk to her."

Good thing Joseph caught that potential mess-up by Clayton. Otherwise, Clayton might have sinned and taken too many women in the same family. But all is well. Joseph will take her. Thank goodness Joseph is close to God, and gets those detailed rules.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: December 18, 2010 02:16PM

Interesting times in the old version of the eternal and everlasting gospel, no?

By the way, it sounds like you have a copy of Claytons journals?
If so, I understand that he wrote about Desdemona Fullmer asking to stay at his house in order to keep Joseph Smiths 'visits' discrete.

If you would be able to find or verify that, it would be most sincerely appreciated.

Posted by: dr5 ( )
Date: December 18, 2010 02:35PM

Divying up women like pieces of candy.

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: December 18, 2010 05:38PM

Makes me glad I didn't live back then!

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: December 18, 2010 06:53PM

polygamy, because they sisters tend to fight less than random women.

JS never had to live with a house full of wives, so he'd have exactly NO experience with its problems.

One big problem with LDS polygamy, just like the United Way, is that these lifestyle upheavals came with no rules and no leadership. Of course polygamy is icky under any circumstances, but at least societies who have done it for centuries tend to figure out ways to make it less painful.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.