Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Just Browsing ( )
Date: December 17, 2010 10:48PM

My friend accuses me of "not really understanding what the church teaches" I answered back "according to what time in church history" .. After looking totally blank she said "NOW of course".

So here is the question. When you were a member,

1 Were you a "social member" and Sunday just came along as one of the things to do

2 A "doing member", were you enjoying the callings you had so that gave you a reason for activity.

3 Or were you a "Gung Ho" member, listening to General Conference and also reading the talks again in the Ensign. Studying lesson manuals and never missing a meeting

So on a scale of 1-10 where did you fit in ?????????????????

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Prophetess ( )
Date: December 17, 2010 11:02PM

The main reason I went to church as a member was because I believed it was a commandment. I guess that's #3.

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: December 17, 2010 11:27PM

I really get puzzled by responses like that of your friend. The lesson manuals are loaded with the McConkie and Fielding Smith worldview. The current leaders are always talking up Brigham Young and Joseph Smith like they were really on to something. So forgive me for noticing that Joseph and Brigham were not on to anything except their neighbors money and pretty daughters.

I was more of a #3 as well, so maybe I don't understand. I suspect the person who said this to you is a #1--maybe a #2.

Posted by: Just Browsing ( )
Date: December 18, 2010 12:46AM

The person I talk to - on a scale of 1-10 , #1 being a dreadful apostate on upward to #10 being the highest TBM rating in the universe, views herself as a 10.1/2 - but really is a 6-7 at best.

Members nowadays are blissfully ignorant of the depth of doctrine that used to be taught. Study the "Journal of Discourses" if you want some eye openning doctrine.

JB

Posted by: DNA ( )
Date: December 18, 2010 12:51PM

A guilted member, going and doing callings even though I didn't want to, but thought I had to in order to keep out of hell.

Posted by: derrida ( )
Date: December 18, 2010 01:16PM

I was a #3 most of the time, seeing only the conservative take on doctrine and what being a Mormon was.

Then I did everything because I didn't want to lose my family.

Finally I just said f*@k it, left, felt elated, liberated, happy. Now I just do what I do and my family can just figure things out for themselves, with occasional nudges from me.

Posted by: EssexExMo ( )
Date: December 18, 2010 01:16PM

I think most members, who are honest, will considered themselves as different levels at different times in their lives.

Personally, I went through stages of 3, 2 and 1

Posted by: Truthseeker ( )
Date: December 18, 2010 01:32PM

In my teen years I was gung-ho, my mission turned me into MINO, MINO/social member hybrid best describes me now even though I am a clerk.

Posted by: unworthy ( )
Date: December 18, 2010 01:51PM

#1,,good place to check out the girls and hang with like minded friends. In our small farm town,,,it was the social center.

Posted by: 87vetteguy ( )
Date: December 18, 2010 01:57PM

I was semi gung-ho, but mostly a #2 . I had some callings I actually liked. But, once we had a ward split and had to go where I knew no one. I quickly became disaffected and started to attend less and less.

But I do agree, many LDS are a combination of all 3 at sometime in their life, even the most gungho.

I am now less than a 1. The only time I attend now, if my daughters have a talk to give or something similar, which is very very rare. Maybe one to 2 times a year.

Posted by: derrida ( )
Date: December 18, 2010 02:36PM

I don't participate at all. If DW wants the kids up at the church, she can drive them there. I don't go to anything church related and home teachers aren't allowed in my home.

Weddings, ordinations, etc., will be tough, but I'm not the one in a stinky organization.

Posted by: Nebularry ( )
Date: December 18, 2010 03:04PM

I was a #3 until about five years before I resigned. At that time I was teaching the Gospel Essentials class and LOVED it! But I began having doubts when the science of Mormonism didn't match up with the science of the real universe. It took five years of study, prayer, doubt and anger before I finally bailed out. No regrets now after almost eleven years.

Posted by: saviorself ( )
Date: December 18, 2010 05:15PM

I hated Church and thought it was a royal pain in the rear.

But up until about age 14 I was forced to attend all the meetings (5 hours per Sunday back in the 1950s). I hated the meetings and thought they were a total waste of time.

At age 14 I started gradually dropping out. Finally by age 17 I figured out other things to do with my time on Sunday. I went on long bike rides (50 - 100 miles), went skiing, hiking, camping, fishing, and as required I did homework for school. I know my parents were upset by this but apparently they didn't think it was a battle that they could win.

Now I wish that I had kept a diary so that I could read about those times. After 50 years the memories have faded.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.