Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: rain ( )
Date: December 17, 2010 08:36PM

I’m wondering if I am still considered a member by the church. My parents fortunately escaped Utah in the 50’s after my father completed his degree and found a job out of state. They were both from long-time Utah LDS families. They became inactive either right before or right after they moved. As we were growing up, though, any time they thought we needed a dose of religion, we were dragged to the mormon church (few memories but all painful). When I was in junior high, we were temporarily transferred to So. CA and in a misguided attempt to help me make more friends, my mother signed me up to go to MIA, bribing me with guitar lessons. It was a truly horrid experience (that’s another story) but aside from that, at one point someone (maybe the bishop?) took me aside and pointed out that I had never been baptized. They of course wanted to take care of that little oversight, but I adamantly refused. They obviously had enough records of me in the church to know that I had never been baptized, though.

Over the years, the church was always in touch with the family—periodic visits by HT’s, RS, and such, whom my mother was too polite to turn away. I have never been contacted, however, since I left the house after college.

My question is, am I likely still on their records somehow as a member? It’s not a huge deal, but as I am learning more about this cult that my ancestors joined, and being constantly amazed by what I read on here about the audacity and deception of the church, I would prefer to not be considered a member in any form. But I also do not want to risk attracting any attention to myself by checking with the church itself to see what my status is. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: duffy ( )
Date: December 17, 2010 09:43PM

Do you know if you were blessed as a baby? Maybe that's how they have you in their records and know that you haven't been baptized yet.

Technically, I don't think you're a member until you're baptized. However once they have you in their records they won't take you out. My parents were nevermos, but their names were put in my records when I converted. They still try to find them, hoping to find me. Scary cult!

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: December 17, 2010 09:55PM

Weird, isn't it?

Posted by: Otremer ( )
Date: December 17, 2010 10:00PM

There's nothing either he or his wife Eva can do about it either.

Of course just because they consider Hitler a member and themselves "The One True Church" doesn't make it so. I, for one, don't lose much sleep over who or what the LDS Church thinks to be true.

Posted by: Charley ( )
Date: December 17, 2010 10:52PM

Don't they call a child under eight and not baptized a member of record? Maybe they see you in that way. Still I always thought you had to be baptized to be a member.

Posted by: goldenrule ( )
Date: December 18, 2010 02:19AM

I thought this too. I agreed to have our 2 kids blessed to appease TBM DH because I didn't think they would be considered members of record until baptism and confirmation. But if they count the baby blessings then damn it, they got me :(

Date: December 17, 2010 11:12PM

I honestly don't know if I was blessed. My father has passed away and my mom has Alzheimer's, so I can't find out from them. At least I know I wasn't baptized, but it's entirely possible I was blessed. I'm also not losing sleep over it, but would prefer to have no association with the cult. As long as they don't know where I am now or contact me, I guess that's good enough for me! Thanks for the responses.

Posted by: MikeyA ( )
Date: December 17, 2010 11:30PM

I know if a baby was blessed but not baptized, it stayed on the records until it was 18 as a "member of record".

If you were never baptized but are over 18 now, you should be okay.

Sure your blessing will still be recorded in the archives of the church offices, and you will never be able to change that. However your name wont be popping up on any member list in any congregation to bring you to the attention of any bishop or hometeacher etc.

Date: December 17, 2010 11:37PM

Somehow that's very reassuring to know- thank you. And I am certainly over 18 now!

Posted by: SweetZ ( )
Date: December 18, 2010 06:10AM

Yup, this is how I understand it too. Up until you're 18 you'd show up on the membership rolls as a child of record under your parents, but once you're 18 you're in the clear.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: December 18, 2010 02:06AM

Prepare for the worst.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.