Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Riverman ( )
Date: December 17, 2010 02:00PM

Recently had a discussion with someone and need some references for a follow up discussion.

Where in the BoM does it show that there were no people in the Americas prior to the BoM people?

A good link to the interview with Hinkster where he denies God being a man.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: mateo ( )
Date: December 17, 2010 02:04PM

2 Ne 1:6

"Wherefore, I, Lehi, prophesy according to the workings of the Spirit which is in me, that there shall none come into this land save they shall be brought by the hand of the Lord."

Verses 8-9 are pretty good, too:

"And behold, it is wisdom that this land should be kept as yet from the knowledge of other nations; for behold, many nations would overrun the land, that there would be no place for an inheritance.

"Wherefore, I, Lehi, have obtained a promise, that inasmuch as those whom the Lord God shall bring out of the land of Jerusalem shall keep his commandments, they shall prosper upon the face of this land; and they shall be kept from all other nations, that they may possess this land unto themselves. And if it so be that they shall keep his commandments they shall be blessed upon the face of this land, and there shall be none to molest them, nor to take away the land of their inheritance; and they shall dwell safely forever."

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/2010 02:06PM by mateo.

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: December 17, 2010 02:19PM

JS' 1842 Wentworth Letter:

"In this important and interesting book the history of ancient America is unfolded, from its FIRST SETTLEMENT by a colony that came from the Tower of Babel at the confusion of languages to the beginning of the fifth century of the Christian era. We are informed by these records that America in ancient times has been inhabited by two distinct races of people. The first were called Jaredites and came directly from the Tower of Babel. The second race came directly from the city of Jerusalem about six hundred years before Christ. They were principally Israelites of the descendants of Joseph. The Jaredites were destroyed about the time that the Israelites came from Jerusalem, who succeeded them in the inheritance of the country. The principal nation of the second race fell in battle towards the close of the fourth century. The remnant are the Indians that now inhabit this country."

There are many lds sites with copies of this letter.
http://lds.org/ensign/2002/07/the-wentworth-letter?lang=eng

Posted by: SpongeBob SquareGarments ( )
Date: December 17, 2010 02:39PM

Excerpt from President Hinckley's interview with Time:

Q: Just another related question that comes up is the statements in the King Follet discourse by the Prophet.

A: Yeah

Q: ... about that, God the Father was once a man as we were. This is something that Christian writers are always addressing. Is this the teaching of the church today, that God the Father was once a man like we are?

A: I don't know that we teach it. I don't know that we emphasize it. I haven't heard it discussed for a long time in public discourse. I don't know. I don't know all the circumstances under which that statement was made. I understand the philosophical background behind it. But I don't know a lot about it and I don't know that others know a lot about it.

http://lds-mormon.com/gbh.shtml

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: December 17, 2010 10:42PM

Ether 2:4-5

4And it came to pass that when they had come down into the valley of Nimrod the Lord came down and talked with the brother of Jared; and he was in a acloud, and the brother of Jared saw him not.
5And it came to pass that the Lord commanded them that they should ago forth into the wilderness, yea, into that quarter where there never had man been. And it came to pass that the Lord did go before them, and did talk with them as he stood in a cloud, and gave cdirections whither they should travel.
6And it came to pass that they did travel in the wilderness, and did abuild bbarges, in which they did cross many waters, being directed continually by the hand of the Lord.

Now Jeff Lindsay "explains" that this and the above citations refer to smaller regions. Except they leave the valley of Nimrod to build barges and travel MANY waters to reach the damn place, so that generally means traveling quite a long way. Especially if you just left Babel and your stuff turns up somewhere in the Americas back in Mosiah!

Posted by: anon ( )
Date: December 17, 2010 10:57PM

Don't forget Noah's flood.

Ether Chapter 13:
2 ... after the waters had receded from off the face of this land it became a choice land above all other lands, a chosen land of the Lord; wherefore the Lord would have that all men should serve him who dwell upon the face thereof;

How could anyone be in America before the Jaradites?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.