Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: WestBerkeleyFlats ( )
Date: December 17, 2010 01:11PM

People over on MADB are reporting that the church has removed the racial statements from the chapter headings of the on-line Book of Mormon for chapters such as 2 Nephi 5. Well, it's about time. Some of the chapter headings were almost as bad as the actual text. Of course, they're all saying that the chapter headings aren't actual scripture, etc.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: AnonyMs ( )
Date: December 17, 2010 01:18PM

hahaha

Chapter headings aren't scripture.........
I don't know any off hand........guess I'll have to look up 2 Nephi....

K

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: December 17, 2010 01:20PM

2 Nephi 5 heading, online:
http://lds.org/scriptures/bofm/2-ne/5?lang=eng

"The Nephites separate themselves from the Lamanites, keep the law of Moses, and build a temple—Because of their unbelief, the Lamanites are cut off from the presence of the Lord, are cursed, and become a scourge unto the Nephites. About 588–559 B.C."

My old 1958 edition includes "The rebellious cursed with a dark skin". It sounds like the 1981 version made it worse.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/2010 01:25PM by Heresy.

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: December 17, 2010 03:31PM

I have a 1920 Book of Mormon. Heading for 2Nephi Chapter 5

"Nephi warned of God, separates from those who seek his life - Zoram, Sam Jacob and Joseph and others accompany him - The Sword of Laban - A temple built - Nephi a king or protector - The rebellious cursed with a dark skin - Priests and teachers consecrated"

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: December 17, 2010 01:26PM

It is now 2010 (going on 11)
Subtract....
Carry the one....
Equals....

55 YEARS LATER, THE MORG IS NO LONGER RACIST!
God bless us, everyone and America too.

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: December 17, 2010 01:27PM

1 Nephi 11:13 And I beheld the city of Nazareth; and in the city of Nazareth I beheld a virgin, and she was exceedingly fair and white.

1 Nephi 12:23 And it came to pass that I beheld, after they had dwindled in unbelief they became a dark, and loathsome, and a filthy people, full of idleness and all manner of abominations.

1 Nephi 13:15 And I beheld the Spirit of the Lord, that it was upon the Gentiles, and they did prosper and obtain the land for their inheritance; and I beheld that they were white, and exceedingly fair and beautiful, like unto my people before they were slain.

2 Nephi 5:21 For behold, they had hardened their hearts against him, that they had become like unto a flint; wherefore, as they were white, and exceedingly fair and delightsome, that they might not be enticing unto my people the Lord God did cause a skin of blackness to come upon them.

2 Nephi 30:6 And then shall they rejoice; for they shall know that it is a blessing unto them from the hand of God; and their scales of darkness shall begin to fall from their eyes; and many generations shall not pass away among them, save they shall be a white (1830 and RLDS edition) and a delightsome people. Current LDS version 1981 says Pure.

Jacob 3:8 O my brethren, I fear that unless ye shall repent of your sins that their skins will be whiter than yours, when ye shall be brought with them before the throne of God.

Alma 3:6 And the skins of the Lamanites were dark, according to the mark which was set upon their fathers, which was a curse upon them because of their transgression and their rebellion against their brethren, who consisted of Nephi, Jacob, and Joseph, and Sam, who were just and holy men.

3 Nephi 2:15 And their curse was taken from them, and their skin became white like unto the Nephites.

Mormon 5:15 And also that the seed of this people may more fully believe his gospel, which shall go forth unto them from the Gentiles; for this people shall be scattered, and shall become a dark, a filthy, and a loathsome people, beyond the description of that which ever hath been amongst us, yea, even that which hath been among the Lamanites, and this because of their unbelief and idolatry.

Posted by: anon ( )
Date: December 17, 2010 01:49PM

Thanks JOD. It looks like all they are doing is changing the headings? They really have not fixed the horror. They are just trying to hide it better?

Posted by: The Motrix ( )
Date: December 17, 2010 01:29PM

This is so funny. When I sent in the resignation letter for my family, this is one of things that I bitched about (there were too many things to say, but thought I should pick at least one).
My kids are half "lamanite" and I told the church that I could abide such a bunch of racist bullshit (using a few better chosen words).
I love seeing this, except it doesn't change the fact that the church will never be true.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: December 17, 2010 03:11PM

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/2010 06:37PM by steve benson.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: December 17, 2010 03:22PM

My daughter asked me why I had it (I paid a quarter for it at the Sugarhouse D.I.). I picked it up because of the "principal ancestors" change, and now I have another reason to keep it...

And no, I'm not going to try to read it...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/2010 03:23PM by SL Cabbie.

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: December 17, 2010 03:37PM

All lighter scaled dinosaurs are blessed in my eyes. All darker scaled dinos are cursed. If they keep my commandments I will lighten their scales and all dinosaurs can live with me for eternity.

No pterosaurs though. Seriously, fuck those guys.

Posted by: Dieter ( )
Date: December 17, 2010 03:51PM

So you are saying you will remove the blessing of the preisthood if we ever mix our seed with the pterosaurs?

Posted by: mateo ( )
Date: December 17, 2010 04:03PM

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: December 17, 2010 04:12PM

http://www.mormonapologetics.org/topic/52562-jim-faulconer-on-faith-philosophy-and-scripture/page__p__1208953437#entry1208953437

I don't know why I was such a wuss and insisted on the under six weeks in my reply to Nightie; it wasn't even six days before he posted back on MA&D... I know addictions better than that, fer garshsakes!

Yep, complete with the sarcasm I prophesied...

>Yes, I was indeed directed to go silent by the Packer Faction. The orders were transmitted through the new radioisotope-powered XL-480 device implanted at the base of my skull. (Eat your hearts out, fellow special operatives!) Yes, I really engaged in an unethical and probably illegal effort to illicitly undermine the defense in a prominent federal criminal trial. My shameless corruption and depravity are boundless. Yes, thousands upon thousands of my despicable and incriminating posts here were deleted by order of the First Presidency and/or a federal judge and/or my wife and/or Manny, Mo, and Curley Joe. Yes, I’m being silenced by the Brethren because they’re embarrassed at my antics and disapprove of me. Yes, I’m being silenced by the Brethren because they’re about to call me as a General Authority. And, yes, I was abducted by lesbian neo-Nazi biker chicks recently landed from the planet Zarkon.

A nice little homophobic slur at the end to send a message to his base as well...

Posted by: Misfit ( )
Date: December 17, 2010 05:42PM

I hear the mormon church is growing in Africa. Its no wonder-the literacy rate there is around 30%. If they could actually read the Book of Mormon, they'd probably skin the missionaries alive.

Posted by: helemon ( )
Date: December 17, 2010 05:48PM

How will they spin this?

Posted by: Glad2B Out ( )
Date: December 17, 2010 05:55PM

This is what I posted on my FB page:

The mormon power whores continue to change the one book that is fraudulently said to contain the fullness of the gospel. The mormon god, gospel and scriptures continue to change, well, because god is a changing and hipster god to fit the times. What a crock of LDShit.

I'm so glad to be out.

Posted by: dthenonreligious ( )
Date: December 17, 2010 06:34PM

Hipster God, NOOOOOOOOO.....more reason for me to hate hipsters.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/2010 06:35PM by dthenonreligious.

Posted by: michaelm (not logged in) ( )
Date: December 17, 2010 06:04PM

They change the chapter headings of the most correct book on earth while they continue to sell these action figures -

Lemuel (white) before.
http://lehi.com/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=44&osCsid=tnpckvir5j5pnqguo9jviobmt6

Lemuel (dark skin) after. This happened because he did not choose the right.
http://lehi.com/product_info.php?products_id=119&osCsid=tnpckvir5j5pnqguo9jviobmt6

Parents can still teach children that dark skin happens to those who sin with these toys.

Deseret Book sells the action figures manufactured by Latter-day Designs.

http://deseretbook.com/item/3066242/Lemuel

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: December 17, 2010 09:04PM

These "cursed" action figures disprove that hokum.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/2010 09:14PM by steve benson.

Posted by: emma ( )
Date: December 17, 2010 08:57PM

Anyone who has seen the twilight movies knows that native americans are not loathsome. Lol, jacob is hot

Posted by: LIKE Button Advocate ( )
Date: December 17, 2010 11:02PM

I want to hit the "like".

Definitely LIKE these comments.... LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE

LBA

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: December 17, 2010 11:10PM

Of course the chapter headings aren't scripture. They were only written by apostle Bruce R. McConkie. He just threw any old thing willy nilly into the modern editions of the LDS scriptures.

I guess I'm confused why they would bother to change the headings when the actual scriptures are just as racist. It seems like a waste of time and only calls attention to them in the media, when the Mormon church's usual modus operandi is to be cowardly silent about such things and hope no one notices.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.