Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: megan funck ( )
Date: July 26, 2012 09:54PM

Part 1

After being a member of the LDS church for twenty-two years, I left. Not just stopped going, but legally resigned. I know that a lot members of the church have a difficult time understanding why someone would choose to resign. I’ve heard a lot of speculations dished out, such as “They must have never had that strong of a testimony,” or “They probably just want to sin”, etc. While these may be true in some cases (although people in this category don’t normally resign, they just “go inactive”), it is denying the fact that there are legitimate doctrinal/spiritual/historical reasons as to why people would leave the church.

Here’s my own story.

Now, I wasn’t just some half-assed, wishy-washy Mormon . I can honestly say believed in everything the church claimed to be. I “knew” it was true. I was married in the temple at the age of twenty. My husband and I moved to Los Angeles, where I attended the temple once a week. I spent time daily reading the scriptures and church books. I was proud to announce my Mormon-ness to anyone who would listen, and stood up for it when people made fun of it. I believed very strongly that the church was literally the restored gospel of Jesus Christ.

I believed because, well, it felt good. I experienced what is referred to as “the spirit” (a warm, expansive feeling in my heart center) many times. I felt the spirit when reading the Book of Mormon and when I attended the temple. Other people’s stories of spiritual experiences within the church also strengthened my faith- people being healed after a priesthood blessing, encountering strange synchronicities, near-death experiences, etc.

I also thought it made sense at the time. So, why did I leave?

Well, I was looking for answers to questions I would sometimes get asked. For example:

“Why is your church racist?”

“Is it true John Smith (I love everyone always get Joseph Smith confused with John Smith) wrote the Mormon Bible by putting his face in a hat and looking at a stone like it showed on South Park?”

“How many wives can I have if I become Mormon?”

“How come there is no DNA evidence of Hebrews in the Americas?”

The list could go on. I wanted to be properly equipped to represent the church when I was asked these questions. I wanted to become knowledgeable about the church so I could be a beacon of light and understanding to anyone who needed questions answered. I stocked up on some books I found at the Beehive Bookstore- there was a collection of books published that dealt with these typical ‘taboo’ topics. I read them all and my curiosity was further piqued. I didn’t feel quite satisfied with all of the explanations given in these books, so I began searching on the internet.
I began scouring over the FAIR and FARMS websites (church apologist sites/associations). There were some very interesting topics to say the least! When I first began researching and reading their articles, I was optimistic, thinking to myself many times, “Well, I suppose that could make sense!”. However, after a lot of reading I finally had to admit to myself that most of their explanations were…well, embarrassingly weak. I was disappointed. Couldn’t they do better than that? After this, my entire life became wrapped up in researching and studying the history of the church.

It was fascinating. Some things I discovered made me appreciate the church even more- like the fact that in the early years of the church it was common and accepted for women to give Priesthood blessings. I read some stellar books- Joseph Smith: Rough Stone Rolling by Richard Bushman, The Mormon Hierarchy- Origins of Power by Michael Quinn., Mormon Enigma: Emma Hale Smith by Linda Newell, Early Mormonism and the Magical World View by Quinn, and many others. It was disturbing to find out that some of these authors, who were members of the church and historians, had been excommunicated for writing and publishing completely factual, but unflattering historical information about the church.

I was torn. It had become blatantly evident that the Church was purposefully whitewashing information and twisting it around in a way to make the church appear in the best light possible. Why would the church do this? I was incredulous that I had learned more about the history of the church in a matter of months by just reading actual history than the twenty-two years I spent in the church.

There was a lot of information that seriously distressed me. These were not small, minor things that could easily be discounted by saying, “Well, the church is perfect, it’s the people that aren’t!” I was discovering things that challenged the basic beginnings and fundamental tenets of Mormonism.
( I feel its necessary to add that I stayed away from any blatant anti-Mormon literature. Most genuine anti-Mormon stuff is written by Evangelical Christians trying to “save” Mormons, and are- well, how to put it…bat-shit crazy!)

Up until this point, I had only theoretically toyed with the idea that the church might not be exactly everything it claimed to be. Over the months I had slowly become more distraught that the church had been whitewashing it’s history. I kept praying to God to help me understand why. Why had all of these horrible things happened in church history, by the hands of church leaders? Why were there so many incidents and facts that challenged the idea of Joseph Smith being a true prophet, and restoring the gospel? I tried bargaining with myself. I’d think “Well, maybe none of these historical things are true at all, and it’s just a way of God testing my faith!” or “Maybe God allowed these things to happen, as a way to test the faith of the members!”. I went on like this for a while. But- after doing mental gymnastics trying to wrap my brain around all of it, I had to admit that this was just getting ridiculous. I was desperately trying to convince myself that something was “true“, despite all odds.

I made the difficult decision to “allow” myself to genuinely question the church. At first, I felt guilty. But, after some soul-searching and reality-checking, I realized that the God I knew and loved would want me to question. How else could Joseph Smith have even possibly restored the church, had he not questioned the church’s of his time? Some may wonder, “Didn’t you already get an answer about the truthfulness of the church? How can you then doubt?” When my beliefs about the church were earlier formed, I simply didn’t have all the information. I was not fully informed. Now that I was equipped with information from all sides of the story, I felt there was a strong need to reevaluate my conviction in the church. Honestly, had I been an investigator of the church and had known what I knew now, there wouldn’t even be a need to pray to ask God if the church was the restored gospel of Christ, because it would have just seemed too silly and blatantly obviously wrong to even consider it being “true”.

I had most definitely felt the spirit on numerous occasions. However, I had an epiphany that this phenomenon I knew of as “the Spirit”, was not exclusive to the Mormon religion, and that it was not the wisest idea to base 100% of my faith in the church off of it. I had felt “the spirit” many times outside the realms of the church- when watching Titanic, when crowd-surfing at a rock concert, when writing a song on the guitar, when singing in the high school choir. People of other religions experienced these feelings as well, based their faith off of it, and believed in their religion just as strongly (if not stronger) than Mormons. Hell, some people were even willing to strap a bomb to themselves and blow up in the name of religion.
So why should I believe in the first religion that fell in my lap, which I had been raised in? I allowed myself to ask “What if, I have been essentially indoctrinated to believe in this religion?” What would actually be the chances that I had somehow just happened to be born into a family, who just happened to belong to the one and only “true” church, over everyone else in the world?

Then came the depression. I couldn’t sleep, I couldn’t eat. I began having anxiety and panic attacks. My whole reality was shattering before me, and there was nothing I could do about it. My neat and tidy pre-fabricated world view that I had let the church spoon-feed me was disintegrating into nothing.

I started reading about cults and mind-control tactics. When people think of cults, they usually think of outwardly obvious creepy groups, like Heaven’s Gate or Jim Jones. The Mormon church is not necessarily outwardly cult-ish, but I realized, that in my case, I had been allowing my mind, and my life experience, to be controlled by the church (This may or may not be true for other members. This is just my experience. I believe it’s possible to be a member and still retain a connection to your sense of logic, personal integrity, and self, without automatically believing everything the church spoon feeds you. I applaud these members!)

I couldn’t believe in the Church anymore. I just couldn’t. So, I decided to leave. Remaining in the church was no longer a matter of faith, it was now a matter of me staying true to my self and my own sense of integrity. I was after truth, and I wasn’t going to settle for less.
I wasn’t sure what to believe anymore, but I felt positive that if I died and it turned out the church was true, I could confidently stand before God, with a clear conscience, and that he would understand I did my absolute best to seek the truth, and be a good person.

I remember my last Sunday at church. It was Easter. In Sunday School Sharing time, a lady was teaching about Emma Hale Smith, praising her for being such a wonderful example and faithful member of the church her whole life. I had to bite my lip, after Joseph’s death, Emma refused to sustain Brigham Young as the new prophet (who wanted to take her as one of his wives), instead following her son who started what is now known as the Reformed Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. When I walked out of the double-doors into the warm sun, I didn’t turn to look back.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: July 26, 2012 10:01PM

Great story Megan! Lot's of parallels to my journey out and a few differences. Probably the biggest difference for me is I tried staying in and pretending for a while - it my decided it wasn't true was an even slower burn than yours. So instead of feeling sick and queasy I struggled with not feeling motivated to do all the junk I was supposed to do in church and was mostly doing just to avoid upsetting my wife & family.

Congratulations on breaking out of the Matrix!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2012 10:03PM by bc.

Posted by: lissa ( )
Date: July 26, 2012 10:09PM

Thank you for sharing. Your experience is very similar to my own. I haven't resigned yet but that's only because I'm trying to keep the peace with my TBM husband. Did your husband leave with you?

Date: August 04, 2012 10:27PM

Yes, my husband did leave with me, but he had always been way more moderate and relaxed about the church, so it wasn't quite as much as a shock to him. We ended up divorcing soon after, realizing much of our relationship was based on the church, and that we were both very very young!

Posted by: ambivalent exmo ( )
Date: July 26, 2012 10:17PM

Glad you found rfm!
{{ waves hello}}.

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: July 26, 2012 10:22PM

FAbulous story....and you did it the right way with lots of research. My daugther converted. She needs to do research and hopefully will one day. It had to hurt a lot but you are sure now and that has to give you great peace. Now, one thing. All evangelical Christians are not B--sh--crazy. Please do not generalize. Have fun and you will have tons to share with others here. Is your hubby out?

Date: July 27, 2012 01:02AM

You're right, they're not all crazy. That's how i felt when I was researching as a still TBM though :)

Posted by: scooter ( )
Date: July 27, 2012 10:02AM

I'm pretty sure that, by definition, evans have a political agenda.

that puts them in opposition to the Constitution and makes them bat shit crazy in my book.

Posted by: turnonthelights ( )
Date: July 26, 2012 10:30PM

Wow incredibly written. It was eerily similar to my own story. I wish I knew you personally. I think we would be good friends! I am now 32 but started having serious doubts at 25. I had barely been married when I realized it was all a lie. How I wish I could have found this out before I committed in the temple and had a baby.

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: July 26, 2012 10:40PM

Thanks for the detailed and fascinating tour.

Posted by: A ANON ( )
Date: July 26, 2012 10:53PM

Megan, you speak very well for yourself! It's not so much a matter of trying to be perfect, as it is a matter of trying to be genuine.

Perfection can wait -- probably forever. What we have now is the power to be genuine and honest. God (or nature, if you will) put those two things within our reach.

But so much of Mormonism requires us to be phony, to play roles, to fit in and conform, and be obedient -- no one in the Mormon church ever teaches us how to simply be ourselves.

The church's lies require us to lie for its sake. It's all a matter of powerful pretenses that everyone embraces and that everyone is afraid to admit to. When one person stops the lying it puts pressure on all the others. It's as if Mormons fear that the church will somehow stop being true if they don't keep their arms locked tightly together.

That's why they pester each other so much.

In that kind of environment honesty like your's is the great enemy.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: July 26, 2012 10:58PM

A wonderful description of the process that so many exmormons have to go through.

When I was TBM I had a girl named Megan in my class. I couldn't help but think of her while reading your story. I'm pretty sure she's still mormon, but hope she some day shows up here.

Posted by: hope ( )
Date: July 26, 2012 11:56PM

Megan,

Not "just another" story - that needs to be put in with the exmormon bios forum! Beautifully and eloquently written. :)

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: July 27, 2012 12:04AM

+1

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: July 27, 2012 02:29AM

+1

Posted by: fidget ( )
Date: July 27, 2012 12:06AM

Congrats on the truth and welcome! You'll love it here :)

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: July 27, 2012 12:37AM

Welcome to Sanity.

Posted by: romy ( )
Date: July 27, 2012 12:40AM

I second that congrats and welcome!

Date: July 27, 2012 12:59AM

Thank you all!This was a post I made on FB, felt it was time to share my journey with others (including TBM friends/relatives).
It's been about 4 years since I left (although i just recently resigned). I spent a lot of time on here (also new order mormon, and postmormon.org) back in the day, made a few posts ( cant remember under what name).
I had the missionaries come over the other day which reignited the emotions I dealt with when leaving.

Part II to come soon.

Posted by: dec ( )
Date: July 27, 2012 01:33AM

It's amazing if you compare your sense of values and ethics to the apostles and so-called prophets whom we were supposed to raise our hand to support. I figured that when the day comes that I have way more ethics and honesty than the so-called prophet, then I have to leave and not support them.

It all really starts with allowing oneself to question and not defend them. That's when the research for truth really breaks through the programs hold and the lies become so clear.

If everything I had warm feelings about were true I'd be giving testimonies of many fictional movies and books. Warm feelings simply can't make the Native Indians d.n.a. become Hebrew Lamanites, no matter how hard one prays about it.

congratulations on putting that on your f.b.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2012 01:34AM by dec.

Posted by: Zeezromp ( )
Date: July 27, 2012 06:14AM

Megan, you said

" had I been an investigator of the church and had known what I knew now, there wouldn’t even be a need to pray to ask God if the church was the restored gospel of Christ, because it would have just seemed too silly and blatantly obviously wrong to even consider it being “true”. "

I was an investigator (two whole years). This is exactly how I felt. I quit attending suddenly and knew for an absolute certainty it was all a lying sham and I would never go back.

Thats why they hide everything from investigators and the newly overwhelmed and excited baptised recruits. They then practice 'mind conditioning'.

Posted by: lucky ( )
Date: July 27, 2012 08:07AM

my story kind of parallels yours, except that I was so sick of MORmON BS that when I finally determined that MORmONISM really was BS, it was exhilarating for me instead of depressing.

Posted by: Suckafoo ( )
Date: July 27, 2012 09:34AM

The exit story never gets old. I appreciate getting to hear yours. I know how you felt about the evangelical sites when finding your way out. I felt that way too and ironically it was 2 evangelicals I know that gave me the strength to overcome my fear and resign. No strings attached. The final way out was when I responded to a website for a church and said please help. They did help me get out by sending me Bible verses and praying for me. They were gentle and kind and did not intrude or push. They never pressured me into church attendance as I still do not go since leaving the LDS.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2012 09:38AM by suckafoo.

Date: July 27, 2012 04:51PM

After posting this on FB, I'm getting a lot of interesting comments, most in support of me. There is one TBM that responded "It is true."

I replied "Would you want to know if it wasn't true?"

He responded back with: "Megan I know it is true because I have asked God and he has revealed it to me through revelation. So unless God is a liar, I don't need to know if it's not true because I already know it is."

Ooooo, he sure told me!

Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: July 27, 2012 05:02PM

"Megan I know it is true because I have asked "My invisible fire breathing dragon" and he has revealed it to me through revelation. So unless "My invisible fire breathing dragon" is a liar, I don't need to know if it's not true because I already know it is."

Changing invisible super beings in context sure puts things into perspective now don't it?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2012 05:04PM by AmIDarkNow?.

Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: July 27, 2012 05:00PM

Yeah Baby, Yeah!

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: July 27, 2012 05:03PM

I believe the 'First' name of 'that other' mormon church was 'The RE-organized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.

now known as Community of Christ.

Date: July 27, 2012 10:00PM

Oops, you're right. I am a little rusty on all church related stuff, I think I tried to block it out! haha.

Posted by: dogeatdog ( )
Date: July 27, 2012 05:56PM

Really well told

Posted by: wanderingsheep ( )
Date: August 04, 2012 11:40PM

I loved your story. So similar to what I have and am going through.

One question though. What is it about the spring and Easter? So many people I talk with that start doubting or leave the church happen to do it around Easter. I know that is when we quit going to church. I have a number of close friends who have left and their questioning/ leaving always seemed to occur at this time of the year. Probably just stands out since that is when it all started for me. People leave all the time.

Thanks again for sharing!

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: August 05, 2012 12:09AM

"...in the warm sun."

Lovely symbolism. "and never looked back."

Thank you for sharing such an intimate story. It is confirming for all of us to hear another person wrestled with the discovery that the one place they expected to find truth--the organization who claimed to be the ONLY place to find all the truth--was itself the biggest liar of all.

It's a stunner.

Welcome to reality, which is all about life as a tolerant person in charge of her own destiny instead of an elite concubine (but only if you are brought in by a male escort).

Anagrammy

Posted by: NotNow ( )
Date: August 05, 2012 06:51AM

Megan,

With reference to the following:

"I began scouring over the FAIR and FARMS websites (church apologist sites/associations)...I was disappointed. Couldn’t they do better than that?.."

Would you consider picking one topic and saying why the apologists didn't convince you?

You researched the apologist defenses before you solidified your doubts. I solidified my doubts before I read anything by the apologists. Now, sometimes when I read something by the apologists, I think they make a pretty good case, and maybe that explains why some of my TBM friends aren't leaving the church.

You are obviously careful in your approach to important things in your life, so your reaction to the apologists would no doubt give me much to think about.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.