Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Truthseeker ( )
Date: December 17, 2010 11:10AM

I previously posted that our ward budget was reduced with the new CUBS roll-out in October. While we did lose budget $'s in Q4, our Q1 2011 budget is much higher than last year. Q1 2010 was $2,250, Q1 2011 will be almost $3,200. We won't know the exact number until the check arrives from the stake, but it looks like we will have more $ this year.

Have any other clerks seen this?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: helamonster ( )
Date: December 17, 2010 12:11PM

Posted by: jan ( )
Date: December 17, 2010 12:26PM

Did I read this right - ward members pay in hundreds of thousands of $ and the ward gets back $3,000? I knew SLC took the lion's share, but I had no idea it was that disproportionate. What a scam!

Posted by: Rowell back ( )
Date: December 17, 2010 01:01PM

It's been a few years since I was a ward clerk but I have seen this happen before. We always made sure we didn't have a budget surplus so that next year we wouldn't get less.

When I was the stake clerk, we would often set the stake budget and then allocate more or less to the wards. Sometimes we would give the affluent ward less and the less affluent ward more. This may be what is happening in your stake.

Just think of the church as one big funnel. All the members throw in money and it gets funneled up to SLC. The wards get back such a small percent of what they pay in while the rest ends up in real estate investments, hedge funds, and shopping malls.

With no accounting or financial statements made available to the public or general membership.

Date: December 17, 2010 01:07PM

Rowell Back is right on - the rule has always been "if you don't use it, you will lose it".

Our ward has had a stable budget of approx 9k for the last few years. This year with the new acctg system it seems like we are going to rcv a large increase. The bishop is excited b/c SLC has stated wards can keep their unused funds and roll them over to the nxt qtr. Last yr we did have to send SLC a ck for approx 14k from the ward missionary fund that SLC determined was excess. I suppose SLC will eventually ask for excess $ if wards start rolling over too much cash.

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: December 17, 2010 04:33PM

Posted by: Suckafoo ( )
Date: December 17, 2010 04:54PM

Maybe adding the extra thousand will make things a little better for ya.

Posted by: npangel ( )
Date: December 17, 2010 06:31PM

With that extra money, the LDS boy scouts should buy real uniforms and participate in the real summer camps instead of the sorry excuse of camps run by the worthless LDS "scout leaders"!

Posted by: utahmonomore ( )
Date: December 17, 2010 08:07PM

Wouldnt a better use for these excess funds be to help a few of the "poor" boy scouts to be able to attend camp?

Posted by: Summer ( )
Date: December 17, 2010 08:34PM

...where many inner city girls received a subsidized stay. They learned how to swim, row a boat, canoe, sail, fish, cook food over a campfire, hike through the woods, and many other useful and fun skills. I like to think that it opened a door for at least some of them. If nothing else it offered a respite.

Save a life and you save the world.

Posted by: Mans search for Happiness ( )
Date: December 18, 2010 03:38AM

Our ward contributes over 300K, and our budget is 8K. Astounding. We are a poorer ward. I bet some wealthier wards give over 1 million.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: December 18, 2010 12:15PM

What are the funds given to the ward used for? Do they have to pay utilities and upkeep for the building out of that or does SLC take care of those things? Do they have a budget for activities or scouting stuff? Do they purchase manuals anymore or are the members supposed to kick in for that stuff too?

Date: December 18, 2010 12:24PM

re scout camp - our stake currently pays for all boy scouts to attend. They do this because parents rose up in anger over costs due to a ban on fund raising the SP instituted. We are pleased to be in an area (IL/MO/KY) where there are no LDS camps, only real BSA camps.

TBM scouts will never buy uniforms unless the scout's family is really into scouting.

Our ward financial picture for 2010 is: a little over $450k tithing, we spent $28k this year on helping needy members (our ward contribute half the $), annual budget $9k, plus $1200 per month to SLC missionary fund for 3 FT missionaries.

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: December 18, 2010 12:35PM

reinforces everything truthseeker is so good as to share with us.

http://www.exmormon.org/mormon/mormon593.htm

(It's ex clerks comparing notes last year)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.