Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Lost ( )
Date: December 17, 2010 09:39AM

I was thinking about the mormon church this morning mainly because we had some members in our community "making the rounds" very early this morning. Very annoying.

The bozos that came by were the YW Presidency and the EQ Presidency. 8 People! They came in 2 cars and parked in our driveway! At first I thought it was Christmas Carolers.

I was terse and nasty because it was 5 AM. I asked them if they were aware of that. I was told by the YM President that I should be up because my daughter is Seminary age. UNREAL.

To say I was pissed was an understatement. I let them have it with both barrels. (That really felt good too.) I told them they had 5 minutes to get off my property or I was calling the police. (I had resigned from the church 10 years ago and have my resignation letter) I also explained that neither I nor my family was part of their cult and if they EVER come over again, I will take legal action. Mormons have ZERO BOUNDARIES.

What is about mormons that prevents them from showing proper courtesy and calling to set up an appointment first instead of just dropping in whenever they want? What if I have other plans?

It is extremely rude to just drop in...whenever. They also don't care what time they come over either. Early in the morning, Late in the evening, Right at dinner, Anything goes. Its all about them and what they want. I really hate it when they come over and I'm doing chores, like cutting the grass. They expect you to stop and talk to them. What if I don't have time or just plain don't want to? And if you ignore them, they just stand there or holler "Bro Lost" as loud as they can. UGGGH!

I believe it's because they just can't be bothered. They don't care. You aren't important enough to deserve the common courtesy of an appointment. You might not have time and that is unacceptable. You must make time. You will make time.

It's all your fault.

NO: ITS ALL THEIR FAULT.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: December 17, 2010 09:43AM

I don't get it. Why were they there??

Worse than rude, it's scary.

Posted by: Lost ( )
Date: December 17, 2010 09:50AM

They miss us. Please don't let any accidental offense keep us from coming to church. Think of our children. Especially during the holiday season.

The YW want my daughter to come to their activities.

The EQ want me to come to church because the EQ has been tasked with cleaning the building. (I guess I'm their man for the job. NOT)

And Bla Bla Bla.

Get this: They started going to nonmember homes at 4AM!!!!!

Now that's scary!

Posted by: Lillium ( )
Date: December 17, 2010 10:19AM

That's absolutely hilarious that they came right out and told you, a non-member, that they needed you to help clean the church. I was wondering what TBM reaction to this would be, and now it's looking like they're still just sheeple going along with it. Cuz if they were offended by it surely they wouldn't be trying to get non-members to return to the fold by telling them they will have the honor of janitor duty.

If a group of people pulled up to my house at 5 am I think I'd be calling the cops and tell them there's a gang outside banging on my door, that I don't know them and don't know what they want and to please get here before they break down the door. You think that would embarrass them enough they'd quit pulling this crap? Maybe not.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: December 17, 2010 07:50PM

4am? Fuck me rigid! That's.... weirdarse stuff and NO mistake! >:oO

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: December 17, 2010 10:04AM

Once you let 'em have it with both barrels, how did they react? Did anyone have enough class to apologize? Did you mention that you'd resigned? What did they say to that?

I am intensely interested in the mindset that tells someone it's acceptable to show up unannounced and uninvited to someone;s house at 5 in the GD morning to browbeat people to participate in a cult. Did ANYONE figure out they were all being totally inappropriate? Who travels in a pack of 8 people in a caravan to hunt down apostates?

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: December 17, 2010 10:23AM

I think it's worth it in this case, especially since you're not a member. Your daughter might still be on the rolls, and you might want to check on that, but she's still under your roof and she's a minor.

Seriously, file a police report. It doesn't take long and it is justified.

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: December 17, 2010 10:23AM

The Mormons used to accost me and my children whenever we were doing yard work or gardening in the front yard. I have large ear-protectors I wear when I snow-blow or mow the lawn, and I just keep the motor running (it is too hard to re-start) and point to the earphones and say "I can't hear you." I felt rude doing this, but I do a lot of my office work and volunteer work at home, and I'm always on a schedule, even though I'm at home.

After the kids moved out, the Mormons tried to get their addresses, and we all told them no about twenty times, so when the kids came over to visit, the neighbors would wander into our driveway to talk to them as they were getting out of their cars. The Mormons even came over a few times, right in the middle of a family party, interrupting our family dinners. I would answer the door and say, "We can't visit right now; we're having a family party." They would say, "Good, you're all here! I can get everyone's addresses!" I would explain, "No. We don't belong to the Mormon church anymore." "No, we're not giving out private information." This happened several times. They act as though they're your friends, yet we have never been invited into their homes.

Telling you WHEN YOU SHOULD GET UP IN THE MORNING is just too controlling and arrogant! I would have been furious, too! You responded very appropriately, IMO.

I've had 4 men converge on me, after 9:30 at night, and it was intimidating--but never 8 people. That would have freaked me out!

I've had the bishopric come over unannounced, and sit in my living room, and threaten that if I didn't attend the meetings and pay my tithing, that I would be faced with financial ruin, and that my children would fail in life, and that I would get sicker! I had asked for sick-leave from my organist calling. I was already afraid I might be dying, and they used that fear to try to manipulate me! I was beginning to understand that we were in a full-blown CULT!

You are rght, it is all THEIR fault. THEY were mad because they were stuck without an organist. THEY were being pressured from some higher-up to get your kids to seminary. They had to impress each other by getting up early and look spiffy at 5:00 AM. The cult is completely selfish.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: December 17, 2010 10:24AM

Either I'd file a police complaint and send the bish a copy or I'd contact the bish and complain loudly, threaten legal action and say I plan to show up at his door but I'm not telling when.

Posted by: Skunk Puppet ( )
Date: December 17, 2010 11:04AM

I've read about in a long time.

What's creepier is that they are keeping tabs on your daughter by claiming that *you* should be up anyway because your kid should be in Seminary!!!!!

Maybe they all need surprise visits at 5:00 a.m., too.

You should re-load your metaphorical shotgun, call the bishop and let him have it both barrels and threaten police action, too.

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: December 17, 2010 11:09AM

It's Friday. Don't they have jobs? Geeze.

Ron

Posted by: michael ( )
Date: December 17, 2010 11:15AM

I'm thinking (and I don't know if you did it or not) you should have gotten the license plate numbers off the vehicles, filed a police report with a description of the vehicles, license plate numbers and the "people" (and I use that term extremely loosely) involved.

But then, that's me.

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: December 17, 2010 11:23AM

One which states that you will a) take out a restraining order, b) take legal action against further harrassment and c) contact the media if another member of the LDS church shows up on your doorstep at an unGodly and uncivilized hour of the morning to tell you how to live your life.

Yes, there ARE possible legal repercussions for individuals who show up at 4/5 am in the morning to prosletyze for their church -- particularly when they are doing so to individuals who formally left the church. I imagine there were a few calls to the police that morning if they were actually knocking on doors at 4 am.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: December 17, 2010 12:00PM

They imagine themselves to be in the service of the ultimate king, and as his appointed agents, they can come and go as they please while you, a mere serf, must submit.

Posted by: dane ( )
Date: December 17, 2010 12:46PM

no matter what the time of day or night it is. In my mind there damn well be a major emergency or I will turn it into one (for them).

Rude, rude, rude. Where is the garden hose, the dog (or my gun?). I dare anyone to pull that shit on me.. (think hospital or funeral)

Posted by: curly ( )
Date: December 17, 2010 12:52PM

I'd try to make this public, I'd be so pissed. I live in a small town in So Cal, so letters to the editor almost always get published in the weekly paper...

Posted by: jon1 ( )
Date: December 17, 2010 12:53PM

If they had woke me up at 5:00 am this morning, they would have been calling the cops on me! I can get redneck, real quick, that early in the morning. It would have taken more then their garmies to save them.

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: December 17, 2010 02:16PM

Neither I nor my dog would hear a knock at 5 in the morning. My bedroom is upstairs and in the back of the house. The dog is 15 and mostly deaf. She can't hear the mailman when she's wide awake standing next to the front door! LOL But both of us sound asleep in my Fortress of Solitude?

Team Mormon will be knocking on my door for a looooong time. 'Cause I ain't gettin' up for that.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: December 17, 2010 04:42PM

dogzilla Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Neither I nor my dog would hear a knock at 5 in
> the morning. My bedroom is upstairs and in the
> back of the house. The dog is 15 and mostly deaf.
> She can't hear the mailman when she's wide awake
> standing next to the front door! LOL But both of
> us sound asleep in my Fortress of Solitude?
>
> Team Mormon will be knocking on my door for a
> looooong time. 'Cause I ain't gettin' up for that.

I wouldn't hear it but the dogs would and they would bark until they left. I might think it was an intruder and call the police.

Date: December 17, 2010 02:17PM

If someone shows up at my house at 5:00AM, they had better have a good reason such as warning me of an imminent attack by aliens, WWIII or the death of an immediate family member. Otherwise it can wait until a decent hour. Geez!

Posted by: nomomomo ( )
Date: December 17, 2010 04:02PM

I would definetly open the door and let my dogs go, of course making sure first it wasn't cops.

Don't think my dogs would bite, but sure scare the shit out em.

That is so incredibly disrespectful and obnoxious.....

Date: December 17, 2010 04:36PM

In the first place, having someone knock on your door that early is scary. I would be thinking things like home invasion, the police getting the wrong house, some natural disaster about to happen, or really bad news about a loved one. There is more here than getting awakened too early although that is an issue too.

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: December 17, 2010 04:39PM

I still wanna know if they have jobs.

Ron

Date: December 17, 2010 04:43PM

ExMormonRon Wrote:
> I still wanna know if they have jobs.
>
> Ron

Probably not at 5:00Am. The just got up a couple of hours early to wake up everyone else.

Posted by: Skunk Puppet ( )
Date: December 17, 2010 06:34PM

ExMormonRon Wrote:
> I still wanna know if they have jobs.
>
> Ron

Yes, they have jobs. Their job is to keep tabs on and harass inactive/former members at godawful hours of the morning and guilt them by telling them where they should be what they should be doing.

Then they trot off to scrub out toilets at the ward house.

Posted by: artvandalay ( )
Date: December 17, 2010 06:45PM

Ha Ha. I didn't know people could create such a coordinated effort that early in the morning. The point is kind of lost if you're showing up while everyone is asleep. These people must not be very smart, I just can't imagine somebody thinking it would be a good idea to visit somebody they don't know that early.

Posted by: Suckafoo ( )
Date: December 17, 2010 04:46PM

They have never done that to me. Maybe its different here.

Posted by: saviorself ( )
Date: December 17, 2010 05:07PM

My 75 lb. dog is in the house with me pretty much all of the time. If anybody comes on my property the dog lets me know about it with a loud and aggressive bark.

I look out the window and if the people are not somebody I invited then I let the dog keep barking while I fetch my 9 mm Beretta semi-automatic (15 rounds in the clip) for use ONLY in case the intruders are stupid enough to try to force their way into the house.

I do not open the door. The people quickly get the message that they are not welcome unless they are invited. My highly agitated dog is not an animal that any rational person would choose to ignore.

My only uninvited callers in the past ten years have been the Jehovah Witness ladies. But at least they know how to read a clock and come to the house at a reasonable hour.

Date: December 17, 2010 06:58PM

saviorself Wrote:
> My 75 lb. dog is in the house with me pretty much
> all of the time. If anybody comes on my property
> the dog lets me know about it with a loud and
> aggressive bark.
>
> I look out the window and if the people are not
> somebody I invited then I let the dog keep barking
> while I fetch my 9 mm Beretta semi-automatic (15
> rounds in the clip) for use ONLY in case the
> intruders are stupid enough to try to force their
> way into the house.
>
> I do not open the door. The people quickly get
> the message that they are not welcome unless they
> are invited. My highly agitated dog is not an
> animal that any rational person would choose to
> ignore.
>
> My only uninvited callers in the past ten years
> have been the Jehovah Witness ladies. But at
> least they know how to read a clock and come to
> the house at a reasonable hour.

Unfortuantely, I have shih tzus and a glass window in the door. Nobody is going to be put off by little furballs except perhaps the neighbors who are trying to sleep.Fortunately, I have never had anyone do that to me. If they did, I would go ballistic.

Posted by: Summer ( )
Date: December 17, 2010 07:33PM

...then I think that a letter to the editor of your local paper is in order. Tell the entire story about how the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints apparently cannot respect your long-standing decision to resign. Explain that they sent eight people to your house at 5:00 in the morning. They criticized the time that you choose to awaken and how you are raising your daughter. In addition, they asked you to clean the church bathroooms. You don't understand why they can't respect your decision and leave you alone.

That should solve your problem. ;-)

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: December 17, 2010 08:37PM

5 a.m.?!?!?! Holy cow! That's just crazy. It's dark until after 7:30 these days.

I work from 10:00 a.m. until 6:00 p.m., so my sleeping hours are from 12:30 a.m. until 8:30 a.m.

If someone came knocking on my door at 5:00 a.m., I'd be terrified. I'd think home invasion first. Then I'd think my sister's family were in a crisis, since they live in our neighbourhood.

They'd scare me half to death.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.