Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: canadianfriend ( )
Date: July 23, 2012 09:13AM

DebbiePA and subsequent posters made some excellent observations regarding the Romneys' secrecy.

Ann Romney has walked into a hornet's nest.

She said,
"He’s (Mitt) a very generous person. We give 10 percent of our income to our church every year. Do you think that is the kind of person that is trying to hide things, or do things? No. He is so good about it."

Ann uses the word "generous" implying that the 10 percent is a voluntary donation. But if you wish to remain a "worthy" Mormon you MUST pay this money to the church.

She says that Mitt is not hiding anything.

Of course he is! He is hiding his tax returns and everything that is in them. Ann is saying something that is completely untrue and expecting people to just accept it.

According to Ann, Mitt won't release his information

"Because there are so many things that will be open again for more attack... and that's really, that's just the answer."

"So many things..." But remember, Mitt has nothing to hide.

Then Ann gets combative and tells us that we have enough information.

"And we've given all you people need to know and understand about our financial situation and about how we live our life..."

Did you hear that? The great Ann Romney has spoken. Now, no more questions. Just accept what she's telling you as truth.

That might work down at the ward, but unfortunately for Ann she's in the real world now.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/19/ann-romney_n_1685735.html?utm_hp_ref=politics

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: toto ( )
Date: July 23, 2012 09:18AM

Mitt, like adulterers before him (not saying he's one), use their wives to protect them when necessary in public. And she plays the willing role so well it's cringe-worthy.

Posted by: T-Bone ( )
Date: July 23, 2012 09:37AM

I see this with the way they raise their children. In Utah, I frequently heard parents at church tell their children to sit down and shut up "Because I said so!"

This is the same attitude as far as I'm concerned. It's true because I said it is.

I just love how she puts everybody beneath herself. "You people."

T-Bone

Posted by: ambivalent exmo ( )
Date: July 23, 2012 11:51AM

reveal the entitlement attitude of Ann romney.
As in, " don't you know who I am?"
and "how DARE you little folks question the holy Whitehorse prophecy golden boy?".
Entitlement.
yep, but not surprising.

Posted by: T-Bone ( )
Date: July 23, 2012 06:41PM

Any time somebody says "you people" I just cringe.

And for those who are proud of their generosity, I only have one thing to say.

Generosity does not take credit.

T-Bone

Posted by: Boilermaker ( )
Date: July 23, 2012 09:48AM

The McCain people totally vetted Mitt last time and got all of those tax returns. They say he overpaid his taxes. Maybe they don't want everyone to know how stupid they are.

Posted by: NYCGal ( )
Date: July 23, 2012 11:14AM

Yeah, her appearance on GMA certainly did not do anything to further Mitt's chances. One might call it a disaster. She might as well have said "you little people" instead of "you people". The implication is the same either way.

Or, as Paul Krugman recently put it in a NYTimes column entitled "Pathos of the Plutucrat":

"Many of the very rich expect a level of deference that the rest of us never experience and are deeply distressed when they don’t get the special treatment they consider their birthright; their wealth makes them soft where we are hard (quoting F. Scott Fitzgerald in "The Great Gatsby")."

This is only exacerbated by the fact that Ann and Mitt clearly have also always received great deference with respect to their involvement with TSCC. As Mormon royalty, Mitt constantly gives the appearance of being shocked and annoyed that people are not kow-towing to him as one of God's second-annoited chosen few. Neither he nor Ann seems to get that . . . nobody cares.

Posted by: Outcast ( )
Date: July 23, 2012 11:45AM

Her use of the phrase, "all you people" is so telling. That's the same phrasing for talking to or about non-mormons. She's so jaded by the mormon culture of being respected and having people kiss up to her and her family. She considers it disrespectful and rude.

Posted by: hope ( )
Date: July 24, 2012 08:18AM

There is something that bothers me about her and the use of the word "you people." Personally, it sounds demeaning. She's going to get eaten alive as first lady and won't make a very good one, IMO.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2012 08:27AM by hope.

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: July 24, 2012 01:21PM

Just saying.

Posted by: frankthetank ( )
Date: July 23, 2012 11:47AM

Those who are accustomed to the Mormon church hierarchy (and, to a certain extent, the hierarchy of the business world) are simply not well-prepared to conduct themselves in a democratic environment. The church is not a democracy, and neither is any business--decisions come from higher up and they are simply promulgated to the underlings.

Ann Romney is accustomed to this sort of environment, so she seems to think that she can say that she and Mitt have decided that they have released enough information, and everyone needs to accept their decision. This would of course be fine if Mitt were in the running for the stake presidency, where only the opinion of those higher up counts. What Ann does not understand is that, if her husband wants to be POTUS, neither they nor their circle of friends get to decide when they have released enough information. That decision belongs only to the voters. No one is obligated to simply accept her assertion that they have released enough information, regardless of where she might consider them to stand in her imagined social or political hierarchy.

Posted by: SCMD ( )
Date: July 24, 2012 02:24AM

frankthetank Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Those who are accustomed to the Mormon church
> hierarchy (and, to a certain extent, the hierarchy
> of the business world) are simply not
> well-prepared to conduct themselves in a
> democratic environment. The church is not a
> democracy, and neither is any business--decisions
> come from higher up and they are simply
> promulgated to the underlings.
>
> Ann Romney is accustomed to this sort of
> environment, so she seems to think that she can
> say that she and Mitt have decided that they have
> released enough information, and everyone needs to
> accept their decision. This would of course be
> fine if Mitt were in the running for the stake
> presidency, where only the opinion of those higher
> up counts. What Ann does not understand is that,
> if her husband wants to be POTUS, neither they nor
> their circle of friends get to decide when they
> have released enough information. That decision
> belongs only to the voters. No one is obligated
> to simply accept her assertion that they have
> released enough information, regardless of where
> she might consider them to stand in her imagined
> social or political hierarchy.

Posted by: jan ( )
Date: July 23, 2012 02:17PM

Do you think Ann will no longer be allowed out without a handler in the future as a result of her GMA debacle?

Posted by: canadianfriend ( )
Date: July 23, 2012 05:56PM

We may not be hearing much more from Sister Romney in the future.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: July 23, 2012 02:59PM

I'd say that there are many past presidents or presidential nominees whose wives I respected much more than them. I even liked the Bush ladies, loved Marilyn Quale, and could tolerate Cindy McCain, although Teresa Heinz Kerry not so much. I'd much rather have lunch with Michelle Obama, Elizabeth Edwards, Hillary Clinton, Elizabeth Dole, or Tipper Gore than their husbands.

But Ann Romney totally nauseates me. The idea of her as first lady is almost as bad as Bishop Mitt as President. I can't even imagine a Disney villan who could be as clueless and created to have the sense of entitlement that she has. She has ZERO compassion and such a Marie ANNtoinette mentality. I don't want to hear about her "brave" battle with MS. From the day she was diagnosed, she never had to worry that she wouldn't be able to get the absolute best medical care in the world--not U.S.--the world. She'd be able to go anywhere and seek any treatment option she wanted. She has no understanding of what it would be like for people who are dianosed and don't know if they can even afford some of the oldest, generic medication to partially control some of their symptoms. Those are the brave people. She's an entitled wimp. I get sick of her rendition of how hard they had it as BYU married students trying to ration their stock to get them through school without either of them having to work, and then talk like she understand what it is like for other BYU married students who are encouraged to have kids before they are out of school. I just want to slap that beeatch silly.

Posted by: Adult of god ( )
Date: July 23, 2012 03:08PM

What caught me was Ann's calling tithing an act of generosity. It is not. It is purely an act of obedience, not a quality one wants in a president.

Posted by: Doubting Thomas ( )
Date: July 24, 2012 02:10AM

Great point above... Paying tithing is not an act of generosity. Tithing is a commandment. Following a commandment is an act of obedience.

Now paying another 10% in the form of fast offerings and other non-required donations could be considered generous; however, when you consider that in return for those donations blessings are expected is that really generosity?

Now let's consider the tax deductions...

DT

Posted by: grubbygert ( )
Date: July 24, 2012 02:29AM

regardless of what happens in november they'll make the perfect GA couple someday...

Date: July 24, 2012 02:37AM

If Ann is ever named general pres of an auxiliary, she'll give a GC talk that will make Janet Beck's infamous "Mothers Who Know"
seem non-judgmental by comparison.

Posted by: dk ( )
Date: July 24, 2012 02:33AM

Of course, if Mittens doesn't release anymore tax returns, then people can just speculate on what he's hiding. We can speculate on the church's finances too, because without transparency, we can only make guesses.

I agree 10% to the lds church is not charity if the person also has a temple recommend. It's the price of admission to the house of handshakes.

Date: July 24, 2012 02:40AM

dk Wrote:
> because without transparency, we can
> only make guesses.
>
>

What is the Mittster hiding?

Posted by: enoughenoch19 ( )
Date: July 24, 2012 04:23AM

Ann is saying something that is completely untrue and expecting people to just accept it........
YES and in Ann and Mittler's world, people do that. They just blindly believe whatever the profit says even it is insane! THis shit comes back to bite her in the butt......too bad.

Posted by: ozpoof ( )
Date: July 24, 2012 04:55AM

What a condescending lying piece of elitist New World Order vermin.

Date: July 24, 2012 05:36AM

ozpoof Wrote:
> What a condescending lying piece of elitist New
> World Order vermin.

This nails it to the wall with one blow of the hammer.

Posted by: brefots ( )
Date: July 24, 2012 06:34AM

I don't think nevermos know that 10% of your income is actually mandatory in mormonism and that the mormon church spends less than 1% of it's income on charity. We should let them know this. His "generousity" probably goes to lower his own tax and support and so that the mormon church can keep on robbing poor people and screw people's lives in general. I'm not impressed.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: July 24, 2012 01:06PM

at least she can drive a jet ski. how many other mormon women can do that ?

Posted by: stbleaving ( )
Date: July 24, 2012 04:34PM

I can't believe I'm about to defend Mormon women, but I know quite a few who can drive a jet ski. I can, for starters. And I learned it at youth activities.

Posted by: maeve ( )
Date: July 24, 2012 03:49PM

The Romneys might not want to release their tax returns because they are hiding the fact that they DIDN'T give 10% to TSCC like they're claiming.
We're all assuming that Mitt pays a full tithe just 'cause he says so.

Date: July 24, 2012 04:26PM

My 17-tear-old niece has been saying this from the very beginning.
All of the adults told her she was bonkers. Perhaps she wasn't so far off after all.

Posted by: toto ( )
Date: July 24, 2012 04:40PM

Like his 10% might be off-the-charts. That might be telling everyone, "Hey, 10% of my salary from your taxes is what will be going to the Mormon Church!"

Posted by: nonamekid ( )
Date: July 24, 2012 07:28PM

The only people bothered by that would be TBMs, and they're going to vote for Mitty anyway. The brethren will give him a pass because he's running for president, and because he gives a couple of million anyway. But most people couldn't care less that he didn't give a full 10%. I think there is something more embarrassing than that in them.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.