Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: condorstrikes ( )
Date: July 21, 2012 10:59AM

Something that just occured to me.

I've lived in several countries in my life, including First World and Third World (or Developed & Developing, whatever the terminology is now).

In all the places I lived (and I realize this is not true of the entire world), there was always at least one hospital/clinic and/or school set up by a religious charity (often Catholic, but I've seen Presbyterian, Islamic, etc versions). They all provided care & education to everyone in the local community, often free of charge.

I just realized I've never heard of a Mormon hospital or school (not college - I know about BYU). Now, this could just been simple ignorance. I don't live in Utah, and for all I know, these institutions could be commonplace there.

So, the question is, do the LDS build/run any hospitals or schools?

Condorstrikes

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: fidget ( )
Date: July 21, 2012 11:00AM

LDS hospital, Primary Children's hospital

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: November 28, 2016 06:46AM

Owned and operated now by Intermountain Health Care. The LDS church divested itself of hospitals way back when it turned out that there was no real money to be made in charity. They used to run the Primary Children's Hospital like the Shriners operate theirs, to help people without means. But that is for chumps, as it turns out.

Posted by: flyboy21 ( )
Date: July 21, 2012 11:30AM

It's common for them to run schools in some of the Polynesian nations, I know. They definitely run hospitals. However, they prefer to get into things that make a financial return, it seems.

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: July 21, 2012 11:38AM

I think there is a first aid station in the jesus mall if that counts.

The downside is that the food court must only be used for rewarming.

My guess is that a LDS hospital, and prolly someday the jesus mall, will be completely staffed with volunteers as there is no money for hired help.

Good news is that retired LDS doctors can serve a Utah mission.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: July 21, 2012 12:07PM

I thought I'd heard that they sold LDS hospital. Is that true?

Date: July 21, 2012 12:07PM

Really? I wonder if anyone can verify that?

Posted by: Drew90 ( )
Date: July 21, 2012 12:08PM

Yes. And Primary Childrens Hospital. They're both run by Intermountain Healthcare

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2012 12:08PM by 48erhater.

Date: July 21, 2012 12:09PM

Do you have a source on that?

Posted by: S. Tissue Trotter ( )
Date: July 21, 2012 12:16PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LDS_Hospital

"The hospital was originally owned by the LDS Church but is now owned and operated by Intermountain Healthcare."

Date: July 21, 2012 07:31PM

Interesting... Thanks.

Condorstrikes

Posted by: mav ( )
Date: July 21, 2012 03:43PM

Posted by: skeptifem ( )
Date: July 21, 2012 12:10PM

Yep LDS and PCMC are both part of the IHC hospital system. You can go to IHC's main website to verify.

Date: July 21, 2012 12:10PM

Do you know how long ago they switched over?

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: July 21, 2012 12:11PM

Here's what I found: Intermountain Healthcare was established in 1975 when The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints donated its 15-hospital system to the communities they served. Intermountain was formed to administer those hospitals.

Date: November 28, 2016 06:48AM

"Donated" the hospitals my ass. "To communities they serve" my ass.

Posted by: skeptifem ( )
Date: July 21, 2012 12:30PM

fidget Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Do you know how long ago they switched over?

way before I moved here- those hospitals were IHC when I arrived. So it must have been over 5 years ago.

The easiest way to find out is probably to call or email the hospitals. Places tend not to advertise changes in management except for right when they occur.

Date: July 21, 2012 12:31PM

Thanks! I need to look into this further.

Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: November 25, 2016 08:14PM

My exwife is a nurse and has worked at Primary Childrens Hospital since she got out of college in 1973.

She spent many years on the nursing floor, and since sometime in 80's she's been in the Quality Assurance area (that might not be the correct name). IIRC, IHC took over in the late 70's. At one point when we had little kids at home, she was the charge nurse on the 3-11 shift and was the person who had to notify parents that their child didn't live (and then take the body to the morgue). She could do that all day long, come home and watch The Price Is Right and cry her eyes out.

She moved to the new hospital (and got to design her own office) in 1990 and has moved in the hospital more than once.

Primary will never have an employee who is more dedicated than she. She puts in more hours than she should and has more vacation hours each year than she can possibly use. (she gets paid for that).

She's having new knees done, one in February and the next one in May, and then she will be retiring after that.

Posted by: Villager ( )
Date: November 26, 2016 09:39PM

Ask your wife if she remembers the LDS church asking women members who were nurses to go back to work. This would have been the early eighties.

There was a severe nursing shortage and the church was still involved with running the LDS hospitals. I know two women who returned to the workforce after the church pleaded for help.

Posted by: Villager ( )
Date: November 26, 2016 09:43PM

oh sorry, ex-wife I meant.

Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: November 27, 2016 01:40AM

I do remember at one point a woman who had an important job at the hospital told her not to feel guilty in the least that she's working outside the home. They fill important jobs.

Posted by: villager ( )
Date: November 30, 2016 04:47PM

So typical for the lds church to ask mormon nurses (mostly women) to go back to work for the sake of the LDS hospital's finances. The church removed themselves from the hospital business in steps and were still involved in the administration even after the name change.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: July 21, 2012 12:44PM

If the hospitals were bleeding TSCC of money, that would explain it. I can understand they didn't want people depending on them for 'free' care.

If it was management problems (not enough expertise at the top), that should have been resolved.

ID remember if they made a stmnt as to Why at the time.

I believe they established a high school at the 'colony' where Mittney's people (+ many others) went in Mexico to escape U.S. polyg laws.

Mexico: <I, like others, would like to know if they're currently living 'the principle' in Mexico with a Wink from SL>

Posted by: dazed11 ( )
Date: July 21, 2012 01:47PM

The still have church schools in some foreign countries. They mainly cater to LDS families though and not to the community at large. A friend in Mexico told me a lot of people join the church and send their kids to the church school and as soon as their kids graduate they go inactive.

Posted by: JL ( )
Date: July 21, 2012 05:02PM

I think they have a high school in New Zealand, Samoa, Tonga, and Mexico.

I don't know any hospital that is currently run by TSCC.

Date: July 21, 2012 07:46PM

Are you talking about Church College in Hamilton, New Zealand? It was closed in 2009:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_College_of_New_Zealand

http://www.religionnewsblog.com/15293/lds-church-phases-out-new-zealand-high-school

I thought it was interesting that the reason offered was that the LDS would not build schools where there was a "quality" education system.

Condorstrikes

Posted by: odin ( )
Date: July 21, 2012 07:46PM

Thats because you can make a lot of money with a "nonprofit."

Posted by: Acrobasis01 ( )
Date: November 25, 2016 03:22PM

LDS church hospitals began in 1874 and continued through 1974. History is outlined in "Hospitals" a web page maintained by BYU's Harold B. Lee Library (See "Hospitals" http://eom.byu.edu/index.php/Hospitals). LDS Church continued founding hospitals. In January 1905, the Dr. W. H. Groves LDS Hospital opened, also in Salt Lake City, becoming one of several denominational hospitals in the area. In 1911 May Anderson of the Primary Association recognized the need for a medical center to meet the unique needs of children. In 1924 the Cottonwood Maternity Hospital, a major facility in childbirth care, was established.

In 1963 the Church owned or administered fifteen hospitals in the Intermountain area under the direction of the Presiding Bishopric. In 1970 the Health Services Corporation of the Church was organized and a commissioner of health was appointed to oversee the rapidly expanding health needs of the Church and to unite the fifteen hospitals into a coordinated health care system. This system demanded increasing amounts of administrative time and financial commitment by the Church.

In 1974 the First Presidency announced that the Church's fifteen hospitals would be donated and turned over to a new nonprofit organization so that the Church could devote "the full effort of [its] Health Services…to the health needs of the worldwide Church." LDS church transitioned into preventive medicine rather than curative facilities. The Church Health Services Corporation has stepped out of the bricks-and-mortar hospital business in 1974. (See "Hospitals Dropped as Health Services Expands Total Worldwide Program" https://www.lds.org/ensign/1974/11/news-of-the-church/hospitals-dropped-as-health-services-expands-total-worldwide-program?lang=eng)

LDS emphasis on education and Church policy outlined in "Education" with redirected emphasis away from secular education and toward education in religious doctrine, leaving secular education to public and private schools. Church Education System includes primarily the seminaries and institute program with some LDS private schools maintained in Samoa and Tonga where more than 30% of the population are LDS, but where public schools are not available or where discrimination against LDS students occurs. (See "Education" https://www.lds.org/topics/education?lang=eng)

Church schools organized in 1850s-1870s, reduced by 1900s, International System established in 1950s to provide secular and religious education. Schools were established in countries where public schools were non-existent or non-performing, and private schools actively discriminated to exclude LDS students. Schools in this system were set up in Mexico, Chile, New Zealand and Polynisian island nations. This system began a gradual phase out in 1970s-1980s in favor of a strictly religious education system (seminaries and institutes). See "The Globalization of Latter-day Saint Education" (http://scholarsarchive.byu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=4334&context=etd)

Posted by: wisewoman ( )
Date: July 22, 2012 12:15AM

1975 was the magic year the church divested of all hospitals. They left LDS and PCMC hospitals with their names due to their national reputation . LDS hospital is not suppose to mean Latter Day Saints---just the initials.

Prior to 1975 bishops could have members admitted to the hospital. Many patients were admitted because they were constipated or they had ingrown toe nails------ Honest!!!

Posted by: anonculus ( )
Date: August 07, 2017 11:54PM

wisewoman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> They left LDS and PCMC hospitals with
> their names due to their national reputation . LDS
> hospital is not suppose to mean Latter Day
> Saints---just the initials.

So like British Petroleum became "BP" which they say doesn't stand for anything.

Posted by: suzanne ( )
Date: July 22, 2012 12:22AM

There were some schools in the Provo area called Liahona Academy and American Heritage school. I don't know if they were run by the Church, but their curricula are based on the BOM and the church.

Posted by: José ( )
Date: August 07, 2017 09:25PM

Escribo desde La Paz, Bolivia tengo un hijo de 10 años que tiene un tumor en la garganta, necesitamos pueda ser operado cuanto antes porque avanzara a otras partes de su cuerpo.Quisieramos puedan informarnos como podemos llevarlo a un hospital en Norteamerica.Solicitamos puedan ayudarnos con toda la información.
Gracias.

José

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: August 07, 2017 09:39PM

Todo lo que puedo sugerir es ponerse en contacto con estas personas.
Tal vez ellos pueden ayudarle a obtener el cuidado adecuado para su hijo.
Pido disculpas por cualquier error en mi español.
Espero que usted pueda obtener la ayuda para su hijo.

http://healingthechildren.org/

Posted by: toto ( )
Date: July 22, 2012 12:33AM

Intermountain Healthcare (IHC) is morg-run and owned. Medical exmo friends of mine refer to the LDS' "flagship" hospital (Intermountain Medical Center) as the Death Star. Talk with a doctor who has been interviewed and accepted on their staff. Yeah, totally morg run. IHC also has clinics littered throughout Utah.

Every public school in the state of Utah is a Mormon school. I was a no-mo growing up in them (so I'll call myself an expert on this one). Also, the Liahona Academy is a private Mormon school created in Utah County.

Of course, there's YBU Provo, Idaho, Hawaii and Southern Virginia University.

Posted by: John_Lyle ( )
Date: July 22, 2012 11:22AM

Dang...

I went to a IHC hospital when I rolled my ATV when I was in Fillmore...

The thing that worries me the most about IHC is they use 'Relvent' for their collections. This is the bozo outfit that, physically, gets between patients and doctors in an attempt to collect old debt. In some cases debt the patient doesn't owe. They, also, train healthcare providers to demand payment from patients.

Date: July 22, 2012 01:54PM

...that the Death Star corp is amazingly mo, but the clinics have hired good docs: mo and others. My kids grew up with an amazing no-mo doc from the midwest who has his practice in a SL clinic among docs of many flavors.

But yeah, IHC is a branch o' the mos.

Hope you're OK from your ATV accident!

Posted by: John_Lyle ( )
Date: July 29, 2012 02:50PM

Got good care. They took x-rays of everything,

I've got to slow down, no more trying to do barrel rolls on my ATV ... LOL

Date: July 29, 2012 02:53PM

Man, you had me scared. GLAD you're OK!

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: July 22, 2012 02:17PM

Southern Virginia University is not church owned, though. It's just run by a bunch of Mormon businessmen who run it according to church standards.

Date: July 22, 2012 02:54PM

Liahona Academy is also run by Mormons and not by the church. SVU is probably run the same way.

Posted by: JL ( )
Date: July 22, 2012 02:27PM

All TSCC-owned colleges used to have (or still have?) Honor Code "police." They are students recruited by Honor Code Office to "spy" on other students.

And that is just...wrong.

Posted by: exxxmo ( )
Date: July 29, 2012 04:46PM

Sorry JL, any BYU student can assure you that's untrue. It is part of the honor code that students are responsible for telling on each other (like most other moral codes around), but there's no "recruiting"... At least currently.

I have known of MANY students investigated by the Honor Code, but it generally happens because of confession. Only in rare cases (like a friend of mine who was caught having sex with her bf on the living room couch, go figure how stupid she was) someone "tells" on you.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: November 25, 2016 04:43PM

There was a time when Ernie Wilkerson was president of the Y that they did indeed "recruit" students to be spies. If by recruiting, you mean, catching a gay student and threatening him with being ex'd, and thrown to the gossip wolves, if he didn't agree to rat out other gay students.

My source for this is Connell O'Donovan's excellent history of "The Gays" and the church, which is an interesting read.

http://www.connellodonovan.com/abom.html

Here's a sample: "As part of the student spy program initiated by BYU administration in 1967, Gay student E. Donald Attridge was recruited to be an informant after he was outed by another student he had been intimate with named Brent. "

Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: November 25, 2016 07:12PM

The mormon's started most of the hospitals around. The old McKay Dee hospital in Ogden is an old LDS hospital (now run by Intermountain). They started Weber Stake Academy in the 1870's, in 1901 Weber was split into two stakes, Weber north and Weber south with the Ogden river dividing the county. Weber College split and became Ogden Senior High, and Weber Academy. Ben Lomand high split in the 50's and still uses the traditional river as the dividing line for the boundaries.

Brigham Young College was established in Logan with College Ward's original 2000 acres used as a farm to support the expenses of the school. It became Logan High during the early 1900's.

The church started many of the highschools in utah, They aren't involved in helping people these days though. Now it's all about stocks and bonds.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/2016 07:14PM by poopstone.

Posted by: Southern ExMo ( )
Date: November 25, 2016 09:21PM

I lived in New Orleans at the time Intermountain Healthcare took over the LDS hospitals, and there were several LDS medical students that came from Utah to study at Tulane who I was good friends with.

They told me at that time, that the reason TSCC was turning the hospitals over to Intermountain Healthcare was because of Roe vs. Wade. The LDS did not want to perform an abortion at one of their facilities.

I don't know if that is true or not, but the time frame of the transfer does fit that theory pretty well, and I do know that at least one of those medical students had a father who was a doctor and very well placed in the SLC medical community.

Posted by: Britboy ( )
Date: November 28, 2016 06:57AM

Seventh day Adventist church hospitals 2015

Healthcare Ministry
Hospitals and Sanitariums 175
Nursing Homes and Retirement Centers 140
Clinics and Dispensaries 385
Orphanages and Children’s Homes 29
Airplanes and Medical Launches 7
Outpatient Visits over 18,540,278

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: August 08, 2017 07:42AM

Someone is going to get arrested by the thread police for resurrecting this old thread.

Date: August 08, 2017 07:54AM

In Congo, it was Catholics and Adventists operating schools and hospitals. Mormons did nothing. Senior Mormon missionaries didn't even learn the local colonial language (French), and certainly none of the tribal languages. I knew Baptist missionaries there (oddly, they are from Sandy, Utah) who spoke not only French, but also Lingala. Their services were carried out in Lingala, whereas the Mormons do not allow speaking of any tribal language, only the local colonial language, which smacks of... Well, old-school colonialism. If they think they're having success now, think of the success they'd have if they allowed Lingala, Swahili, Kikongo, Twi, Igbo, etc. Think of how successful they'd be if they actually taught and preached in a local language.

The job of one of the senior missionaries was only to count money, all day long, 6 days a week. I guess it was important because all the young (African) missionaries had to be paid in little bundles of cash, but it looked so bad just to be counting money. His wife? she did nothing. Absolutely nothing. She had absolutely no purpose. But the point is, they did not participate in anything that was truly helpful. There was a flurry of medical activity when the LDS church had some guys come over and teach neonatal care at the local hospital for a week, and finished by distributing a new stethoscope to the participating staff, but that was really brief. Once the missionaries were determined to go out in the bush and help the Adventists and others inoculate the public, but they got a late start, and the non-LDS missionaries went off without them, so that was a bust. I mean, they couldn't even be bothered to show up on time, and were mad as hell when they were left behind.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2017 07:54AM by cludgie.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.