Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: lily ( )
Date: July 05, 2012 01:12AM

No, really.

I found this post on templestudy.com, and he used MY comment as the catalyst to write the post. Huh.

http://www.templestudy.com/2009/10/16/temple-construction-costs-humanitarian-aid/

(JAMaddict stands for Jim and Pam Addict, as I had recently gotten into The Office before making my youtube account.)

Anyway, his post is full of big, fat, fake numbers. But it was still a shock to be reading a post and see my goddamn user name in it, and then a link to my pathetic youtube page!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: July 05, 2012 01:22AM

What a jackass! I found this particular users comment amusing in response to the post btw...

"Let’s not forget what these buildings do for the poor! The poor are lifted and strengthened. I serve in one of our temples weekly and see the poor come from their humble circumstances and sit next to the wealthy in equality, partaking of the saving ordinances of the gospel that are available to everyone who can clean up their lives and enter therein. What a blessing to see some of my fellow workers who come from what I would call a ghetto, to sit beside me and serve faithfully. They are lifted up and edified by this opportunity and I am blessed to be counted with them."

Are you KIDDING me? Double jackass/douche to both of them. Ugh

Posted by: goldenrule ( )
Date: July 05, 2012 03:55AM

Omg PLEASE tell me that is a joke...like SP Paternoster. It's too ridiculous.

Date: July 05, 2012 01:34AM

I emailed him and told him to take my screenname and link to my profile down. We'll see if he does or not.

What an asshat.

Posted by: foundoubt ( )
Date: July 05, 2012 01:53AM

Do the math, by their own numbers.

1.1158 Bn = 1,115,800,000 Divided by 27 (the number of years since 1985), = 41,325,925.93, Divide by 12 (the number of months in a year) = 3,443,827.16, divide by 14 million (the number of claimed members) = $0.25 per month per member.

Question; What did they do with the other $400 plus dollars per month I paid during that time?

Posted by: flyboy21 ( )
Date: July 05, 2012 01:22PM

YES! They try to go for the volume argument but that's a load of hooey. Compared to what they could have given--and supposedly as Christ's true church on earth? If lightning is going to strike anyone, it's Tommy Monson.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/05/2012 01:23PM by flyboy21.

Posted by: atheist&happy:-) ( )
Date: July 05, 2012 01:55AM

Morgbots memorize the pat answers given to them, instead of thinking critically.

He's really deluded if he thinks TSCC helps the poor. They help here, and there, after they tell members to go to the government first.

The greatest amount listed there is from material assistance. Much of that was probably donated via D.I. or produced through free labor on church property. Some of the brands are their own brands produced by TSCC. At the storehouse I have seen weird brands. I wouldn't be surprised if they were bought on clearance or for a cheap price. Also, TSCC has a foundation that collects donations. These can be from anyone thinking they are giving to a good cause, and tithing is not involved. I really doubt a lot of tithing goes towards the purchase of those material things. Remember when they have had special fasts for famine in Ethiopia or other disasters? They ask for special donations, which are small in comparison to the monthly tithing funds from members.

I wrote the above, and then found this article where they acknowledge much of the same:

http://www.ldschurchnews.com/articles/58748/Fast-for-Ethiopia-accelerated-work.html

"With only a few major exceptions — fasts for Ethiopian hunger relief in 1985 and the Churchwide fast for Southeast Asia tsunami victims in 2005 — fast offering donations are generally used for assisting members of the Church with welfare needs, said Dennis Lifferth, managing director of Church Welfare Services. Humanitarian assistance, on the other hand, is for people of all faiths and is generally funded by humanitarian donations.

The 1985 fast marked the first time the Church collected large funds exclusively for humanitarian work.

But after that event, people across the globe continued to trust the Church with their humanitarian dollars. As a result, the First Presidency suggested in December 1991 that members wanting to specifically give to humanitarian work performed by the Church could designate it on the "other" line of their donation slip.

Five years later, in 1996, the slip was modified to include a specific line for humanitarian donations.

Today, in addition to the slip, members may provide support for humanitarian work by donating online, donating through LDS Philanthropies, by giving items to the Deseret Industries or by serving at some of the hundreds of established Church welfare facilities located around the world."

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 07/05/2012 02:02AM by atheist&happy:-).

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: July 05, 2012 03:13PM

Don't forget the addition of the footnote that no matter what you checked off that the money was for, the church could use its own discretion on how they spent it.

Not that you would ever know, but just in case someone finds out they've been raiding the missionary fund to pay their margin calls. (which I understand is true)

That they've been diverting the missionary donations. It's supposed to come out in the Reuters Report.

Anagrammy

PS. Reuters! Reuters! Paging Mr. Reuters. We need your report!

Posted by: helemon ( )
Date: July 05, 2012 04:15AM

while wearing a funny costume. I am sure it doesn't bother them at all to see how much money the church spends on big fancy expensive buildings instead of using the money to help the poor.

Dead people sure must be fickle if they will only accept their saving ordinances if they are performed in multimillion dollar buildings. How selfish of the poor to think they are more deserving of assistance than dead people!

Posted by: lucky ( )
Date: July 05, 2012 06:04AM

I agree that all MORmON temple's are sickening for the very reasons that you cited. I commend you for saying so in public forums.

Brass doors don't mean anything to who ever, what ever force is driving this universe.

I find the Twin Falls temple to be especially sickening
because its located on the same street in the same town as the real monument and greatest testimony of the real *divinity* (brutality and exploitation) that is contained in LDS temple worship.

Just a few miles further south on Eastland Avenue, Brenda
Wright Lafferty and her daughter lie in a grave at Sunset memorial park, their lives terminated in the way prescribed by the MORmON temple ceremony, in a killing motivated by the MORmON temple ceremony and Joe Smith's strong arm MORmON tactics.

and for what? so the swinish LDS Corporation and its braindead MORmON members could persist in their completely ill founded,incorrect,irreverent, exploitative, self caressing egotistical, brutish, manipulative temple w(h)or(e)ship MORmON ways.

Sure, now, MORmONISM has dropped the mock throat slashing from its *critical* for exaltation temple ceremony.

Thanks a lot MORmONISM! that's a real nice
*Restoration* of Christianity that you have going there!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wke5eZ1xla4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIusoH2VlOQ

Date: July 06, 2012 10:46PM

I've always found extravagence in "God's" name to be really ironic.

It's like giving your kid $10 to buy you a mother's day present. Regardless of waht they come up with, it was your $10!

Even if HF existed, he's not going to be impressed with anything we could give "back" to him. If earth pales in comparison with heaven, then even our shiniest shit is still shit!

In a way, building these ridiculous buildings is almost desperate. Maybe if I give God enough shiny things, he'll do what we ask!

The logic is baffling to me.

Posted by: moonbeam ( )
Date: July 05, 2012 01:07PM

I can almost see him sticking his fingers in his ears and shouting, "LALALALALA I'M NOT LISTENING!" Did you notice the little disclaimer about moderating comments? Geez. I couldn't resist, I sent one anyway including a link to Mormonthink.

The other comments made me sick to my stomach. The temple provides humanitarian aid? REALLY? How deluded must you be to believe that. Even when I was TBM, that thought wouldn't even occur to me.

Posted by: flyboy21 ( )
Date: July 05, 2012 01:32PM

Any time you've inspired a bunch of Morgbots to pat some poor offended soul on the back and say, "well said!" to him, you've obviously done something sexy. So congrats. The rest of us will try and keep up ;)

Posted by: Korihorton hears a who ( )
Date: July 05, 2012 01:42PM

The comment section made me throw up in my mouth a little bit.

Posted by: lbenni ( )
Date: July 05, 2012 01:55PM

ass hat, douche bag, I run into these type of people all the time....

They are Rude, and Full Of Themselves...

and they pass themselves of as " decent people"....my ass

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: July 05, 2012 02:13PM

I'm sure my TBM father (now deceased) would not have accepted that argument from the Catholics, when he would criticize the Catholic church for all the money spent on elaborate European cathedrals, which he said were built by "taking food out of the mouths of the poor!"

Posted by: munchybotaz ( )
Date: July 05, 2012 02:23PM

He's just doing his job, defending the temple. :)

Posted by: dk ( )
Date: July 05, 2012 03:08PM

Foundoubt, mormons don't do the math, and since we don't know exactly how much money the church takes in, we can't tell if their humanitarian efforts are 1% of their income, .1% or .01%. But I will bet, they are NOT 10%.

I use to get angry when I saw comments on how the church helps those in need. Now, I comment on how everyone in need should go down to their local mormon temple or chapel (if no temple is nearby) and ask for assistance (and wear a green apron). The more people that go to the mormons for help and are turned away, the more people will realize what a fraud the church is.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.