Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: wellsville ( )
Date: December 12, 2010 08:30PM

All the LDS at the ward are all excited about this and saying how it will be as good as ESPN/FoxNews for the LDS types. They also think it will make the church lots of $$ based on cable fees and potential pay for view charges for BYU sports. Is this realistic or to me this is similar to those channels on dish network that no one watches like those religious and foreign channels. Wanted your thoughts out there since you are not all drinking the LDS koolaid.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: What is Wanted ( )
Date: December 12, 2010 10:33PM

it is boring and sucks big time

Posted by: ozpoof ( )
Date: December 13, 2010 12:48AM

Most Mormons down here had never heard of it anyway. It used to be free on 2 satellites but I guess the costs were to high.

Posted by: damnrightimavandal ( )
Date: December 13, 2010 03:39AM

It is free and in the Basic Programming.

The big thing is how they are going to use it with their Football team being indepdent and the WCC (Read West Coast Religious Schools) Non Revenue Title IX sports for nationwide distribution.

Good in theory:

Available in 188 Countries

Available in Basic Tier as a "Public Service" channel which all providers have to carry a minimum of.
====

Bad in Practice:

The problem is Dish and DirecTV do not carry it in HD (that I have seen) and it seems there are no definite plans to carry it in HD (Have you ever seen sports on an HD box being broadcast in SD? - HORRIBLE)

How many people in those 188 countries care about BYU Football or other Sports.

Not alot of Carriage agreements outside of DirecTV and DishNet. Most cable channels in Southern Idaho, Utah, and surrounding areas carry it, but I doubt Comcast in Philly or NYC carries it...
====

They (BYU) are banking money that people are going to pay more to see them, but when you are distributed on ESPN and your Own TV you have to sell Ad Revenue - and if you watch some of the ESPN ads during football season they arent, well, the most Honor Code Friendly advertisements ever.

It will be interesting to see how they pull this off..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/2010 03:41AM by damnrightimavandal.

Posted by: casas77 ( )
Date: December 13, 2010 09:26AM

I would figure having BYUTV in SD over HD to be better overall. Less dish bandwidth consumed, more remains for things people actually want to watch. You might notice the picture incredibly blocky and blurry - that's cause they compress it to cost them as little as possible to run.

A channel consumes nationwide bandwidth even in markets where the channel is not offered (aka "hidden")

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: December 13, 2010 09:34AM

I doubt anybody but mormons watch it.

Even if they do put BYU sports on it, nobody will watch it except for BYU fans, and maybe the opponent. Especially since SD looks really crappy on HD TVs.

The BYU channel's purpose is simply to have something that mormons can be guilted into watching instead of real stuff. I've never seen anything on it targeted to anybody outside.

And it's "stuffed" inbetween all those other religious (public service?) channels. So, while mormons will think they are special, the reality is they are just another religion....

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.