Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: runner ( )
Date: December 11, 2010 02:54PM

I give up. I keep telling myself to find the positive things about Utah, because we are probably here to stay.

1. Husband has a good job that he enjoys.

2. Oldest 2 children seem happy and are doing well in school.

Our younger 2 children are having a harder time with the whole church thing. I'm probably having the hardest time. I feel like I can't breath. With the prospect of leaving the state, I imagined what it would be like to not have to live in this culture. It was such a great thought. Oh well.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Summer ( )
Date: December 11, 2010 03:08PM

And you're right, the only thing to do in such a situation is to focus on the positive.

Are there other church denominations in your area? When I was a kid, I was a member of a girl scout troop at a local Lutheran church (although my family were not members of that church.) Maybe non-Mo churches in your area have similar youth activities that are open to all.

Posted by: mav ( )
Date: December 11, 2010 03:26PM

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: December 11, 2010 03:28PM

Well, if you can't get out of Utah, consider trying to find a less Mormon place in Utah to live. That may not be possible, but look into it if you have the option. Many parts of SLC are not all that Mormon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/2010 03:37PM by bona dea.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: December 11, 2010 10:29PM

Change your world? Change your thoughts.

Utah is not all Mormon, that's for sure.
There must be plenty of opportunities to be involved in something that is not all about Mormonism.

A positive attitude, looking for new adventures, and experiences will make all the difference.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: December 11, 2010 10:33PM

Hopefully things will get better for you.

Posted by: happycat ( )
Date: December 11, 2010 10:39PM

One thing that I do like by looking at Utah, and from your guys' many many teasing descriptions of neighborhoods within the Morg corridor. Is that it's a sparcely populated paradise. Where there is access to out door excercises, fresh air. There was one lady who posted a paradise valley nestled with the sexy mounds of these red mountains. I begged and begged to tell me where this Hidden Valley Ranch (the commercials that beautify this American life of living in a pleasant suburb like place). But it's just as well as more people move into a place it messes up the paradise and nature. Sooo lucky.... such clean air....

And SLC looks really nice, the way the buildings seem to blend well with the mountains, (they have that in Colorado or in South America too). Like the whites of the buildings contrasts with the clear dark blue.

Posted by: msmom ( )
Date: December 11, 2010 11:15PM

We considered it, but ultimately we just couldn't do it. It would have been with the U of U and we would have lived in the avenues maybe. But all our grandchildren are here on the east coast and we just didn't want to uproot ourselves.

Posted by: misseponine ( )
Date: December 11, 2010 11:59PM

You're not alone! I am miserable stuck in the heart of Utah County, OREM, until we finish school. I don't know that we'll ever get out. But knowing that there are people like us here in the state of Utah gets me through the day! <3

Date: December 12, 2010 12:35PM

I'm feeling much better today. My husband I went out with some great friends last night. We had such a good time.

A huge positive thing about Utah....we have found some really good friends that we can relate to. Where else would we find so many ex-Mormons in one place?

Since we have left the church, we have made so many more friends than we ever had before.

Posted by: sdfd ( )
Date: December 12, 2010 02:04PM

Living out of Utah isn't all that. I have lived alot of other places, and each time I keep moving back to Utah. Its not greener on the other side, in fact much of the greener grass is actually in Utah. Save yourself the disappointment, its not really necessary. If you don't like being around too many mormons, there are plenty of neighboorhoods, mine included where you won't find an active mormon on the street. Move there instead.

Posted by: utahmonomore ( )
Date: December 12, 2010 04:13PM

There IS life outside of Utah...lottery tickets, gambling, libraries that have been well funded and they are always open on Sundays here. I can now even go to the local liquor store on every corner if and when I want to....NO state run liquor stores here...When I moved from UT and got back to the real world I was amazed that places were open all night, holidays, weekends too, I couldn't believe how much of my life I had really given up when I was forced to exist in UT. When I left Ut and arrived at my destination point several hours later, I soaked all of it in, and a relative said to me..."Welcome back to the real world!" WOW!!! He wasn't kidding. For the 1st 6 months I didn't even want to go to sleep cause I was having way too much fun being back in real life again. Here they do not censor movies like they do in UT, well okay not censored so to say, but they dont limit how long a questionable movie will run. I had to give up a wonderful job there that I loved in order to get away from the Mormons and UT. You need to ask yourself if it is really worth your time and effort to stay there.
It is now my conclusion that the only good thing to come outta Utah was the interstate. And, my favorite thing about Utah was seeing it in my rear view mirror!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/12/2010 04:15PM by utahmonomore.

Posted by: Rose Park Ranger ( )
Date: December 12, 2010 07:05PM

The main downtown library is open on Sundays and I think that some other Salt Lake City libraries are as well.

Movie chains not run by Larry H Miller don't limit how long movies will run. Sundance will show lots of movies that would probably be banned in more Englightened states.

Everything at the Gateway is open on Sunday and I don't think anything in Park City closes on Sunday except for the Morg's family history Ponzi scheme office on Main Street.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: December 13, 2010 12:53AM

Rose Park Ranger Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The main downtown library is open on Sundays and I
> think that some other Salt Lake City libraries are
> as well.
>
> Movie chains not run by Larry H Miller don't limit
> how long movies will run. Sundance will show lots
> of movies that would probably be banned in more
> Englightened states.
>
> Everything at the Gateway is open on Sunday and I
> don't think anything in Park City closes on Sunday
> except for the Morg's family history Ponzi scheme
> office on Main Street.
Most places in SLC are open including the University library, the malls,grocery stores movies and many stores outside of malls and restaurants. It is probably different in small towns, but there is no problem in SLC. Almost everything is open

Date: December 12, 2010 05:56PM

Believe me, we would love to leave. It isn't that easy. Unless, we just pack up and move with no job waiting for us. I have actually thought of doing that, but then reality always wins in the end.
I am at the point of realizing that I'm wasting my times wishing for something that may never happen. I really want to enjoy my life and hating Utah doesn't help me do that.

You are lucky that you were able to leave.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.