Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: onmyspiritualjourney ( )
Date: June 18, 2012 07:39PM

I'm loving all the comments and support, guys!

I really hope at least one of my 1000+ mormon facebook friends will see the "light."

To see/join in on the conversation (my "coming out"), go here. I will accept all friend requests.

http://www.facebook.com/brittany.zika

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2012 07:39PM by onmyspiritualjourney.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lou ( )
Date: June 18, 2012 08:37PM

Just saw your "let the unfriending begin" post..... So what is the running tally?

Posted by: dk ( )
Date: June 18, 2012 08:48PM

I guess the mormon 11th article of faith was just an after thought that doesn't really mean anything.
I sent a friend request. I have the black cat profile pic.

Posted by: jenn ( )
Date: June 18, 2012 08:57PM

I sent you a friend request :)

Posted by: Joseph's Myth ( )
Date: June 18, 2012 09:31PM

Sent you a friend request.
Our one mutual friend was one of the main reasons I'm no longer Mormon, even though he still is uber TBM, he's done a hell of a lot of research into the 'issues' facing Mormonism. His biggest 'issue' is BoA. He's a cool dude though, just raising his kids to be morgbots, which I couldn't do.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: June 18, 2012 10:06PM

I'd send you a request, but you're, like, young. I'd feel guilty. I'm like, old. But good luck with all this. Looks like things are perking up in the ex-Mo dept.

Posted by: EssexExMo ( )
Date: June 21, 2012 07:45AM

+1.... good luck

Posted by: Johnny Rotten ( )
Date: June 18, 2012 10:13PM

I sent you a friend request. My family and I live in Oregon and are going through the same thing right now.

Posted by: bignevermo ( )
Date: June 18, 2012 10:17PM

I am on your page right now andd I LOVE Victor!!( well i see there are two Victors...Not the crazy Vaca guy the other one!

I love how you are challenging him!! :)
K gott aread the rest...I have only read a few so far!! :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2012 10:28PM by bignevermo.

Posted by: janebond462 ( )
Date: June 18, 2012 10:36PM

I sent you a friend request. my profile pic is a really old photo of my grandfather.

Posted by: libertad ( )
Date: June 18, 2012 10:56PM

I don't have a facebook so I used my brother to see yours. I don't have one because I don't like my TBM family bugging me. I'm living off the grid.

I love all the supportive comments you are getting! It will plant a little spark in someones mind I am sure.

Did you just get married 2 months ago and now are leaving?
& you look great in red lipstick, I am blonde also but can't ever pull that look off.

Posted by: E2 ( )
Date: June 18, 2012 11:10PM

And the bar is raised. This is the most abrupt and open and "outing" I think I've seen to date.

Posted by: Heathjh ( )
Date: June 18, 2012 11:37PM

We have a mutual friend that has also left. I think she left about a year or so ago. And we have a most excellent exmo/postmo group in Portland

-Heather

Posted by: zombie ( )
Date: June 18, 2012 11:42PM

Fantastic stuff. That had to take a lot of balls to do. You've defended yourself very eloquently and I think have been more than fair in your defense of your beliefs. Sadly a lot of people are just too heavily invested in the mormon lifestyle to respond to you with anything other than fear and denial. I wish you much success in your life's journey away from the Church. Oh! And be sure to remind your husband how lucky he is to have you. You are truly an amazing person!

Posted by: E2 ( )
Date: June 18, 2012 11:53PM

BTW, I'd say it's near impossible to have a meaningful debate on Facebook. There are just too many facts to discuss and not enough space (or attention span for most people). A successful debate would take months-years under the right conditions.

I suppose the best you can do is say something that might get someone to question further.

Posted by: captain ( )
Date: June 19, 2012 12:14AM

Amazing!

Posted by: onmyspiritualjourney ( )
Date: June 19, 2012 02:55AM

The running tally...I can't keep track! Some people have re-added me though, which makes my heart warm a little :)

I've been "Sealed" since January 15 2010. DH is on a slower path to truth and he's totally cool about my journey.

Thanks for reading the saga...isn't it fascinating? A perfect sample of the TBM mind when faced with truth.

Yes, this has been a blunt "coming out." Honestly, I couldn't have done it any other way.

Most of the nice comments are from non-mormons-no surprise there. Still, this has reminded me of how much love there is outside the cult!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2012 02:57AM by onmyspiritualjourney.

Posted by: ambivalent exmo ( )
Date: June 19, 2012 05:46AM

My dh is still a member,
but he totally supports
my spiritual journey as well.
How lucky are we
to have our beloved's supporting us
and not judging us
for our search for truth?!?

Posted by: Gullible's Travels ( )
Date: June 19, 2012 06:15AM

I'm having a lot of fun over there!

My dh joined b/c of me, so I felt pretty bad when, 10 Years(and 4 kids) into our marriage I lost my faith. Fortunately he had been having a lot of his own doubts and lost his own faith a few months later.
I was a Buddhist for a while, and while I still follow some of the teachings, but I no longer believe the supernatural claims.

Two books that helped me see the world for how it really is were "the god delusion" by Richard Dawkins (also, his old evolution seminars on YouTube are fantastic and helped to answer all my questions about evolution) and "demon haunted world" by Carl Sagan.

Not that you need me to say it, but you are doing a damn fine job over there. Thank you for allowing me to be a part of it. Hopefully there will be more than a few minds changed and paradigms shifted before it's all said and done.

I don't know if you ever go to/thru Colorado, but we are in the Springs and I'd love to meet u & dh for coffee or smthg.
Just send me MSG on FB (I'm the one who was worried about going to far in arguing with your friends).

Thanx for being such a cool person. You are a bitter loss for the cause of Mormonism, and a sweet victory for the cause of truth and reason.

Posted by: ambivalent exmo ( )
Date: June 19, 2012 06:59AM

My desert ghetto palace is always open for fellow escapees!
My hovel is available for all fellow escapees in need of desert lodging!
Coyotes, scorpions, and good times aplenty
for all those brave enough
in their travels :)
Salt river tubing/grand canyon/northern Arizona optional and encouraged.
Couch surfing and good times available :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2012 07:00AM by ambivalent exmo.

Posted by: Kablam ( )
Date: June 20, 2012 01:46AM

I couldn't find the conversation everyone was talking about so I added you...then I realized it was under the youtube link. Doh! I desperately need some non-tbm facebook friends though!
forbiddencokedrinker, I'm also shy about posting what I really feel. Just because most of my fb friends are tbm and the shitstorm it would cause is just not worth the headache.

Posted by: marco torres ( )
Date: June 19, 2012 08:51AM

Robert Westbrook Sigh. I've got to go to bed. Don't know where you found the anti-Lindsay rant, but it saddens me that you so readily buy into it. So many false assumptions ("massive civilization"? "millions and millions of square miles"?) and ignoring legi...timate arguments. The ironic thing in all this is that I'm not even that active a Mormon. True, I usually work on Sundays, but even if I have the day off I don't want to go to church. I want to sleep in. I find the temple boring, even though I love the idea of eternal marriage. Most days, I feel like drinking a beer. Paying tithing suckssss. That's why I said from the start: Believe me, I know exactly what you're feeling. I've heard it all before. If I believed any of the antimormon arguments, I'd be gone for good. Any of the reasons you've cited, I could've used already as an excuse to go. But I've never been able to buy into their reasoning. Most of it doesn't even come close to convincing me it's all a lie. Sure, my testimony of the gospel isn't strong, but I cannot deny the authenticity of the Book of Mormon as easily as you can. Good night and good luck.

Posted by: chromesthesia ( )
Date: June 19, 2012 09:17AM

I friended you. My icon is wolf spider eyes.

Posted by: exmollymo ( )
Date: June 19, 2012 03:32PM

It's like a soap opera - I can't stop reading!

Notice how some TBMs put the blame on Brittany or imply sin on those who left? Total BS!

It makes me so frustrated to read this. It sounds like Brittany hasn't completely written off God or Jesus Christ, but has a desire to remain Christian. The TBMs completely ignore that and act like she is Satan. If they were so "Christian" then they wouldn't look so down on other Christian faiths.

Posted by: epsynonia ( )
Date: June 19, 2012 08:41PM

Sent you a friend request - it's under epsynonia! lol

You're doing a great job remaining calm and articulate. :)

Posted by: MadameRadness ( )
Date: June 19, 2012 11:32PM

I added you as well. My first name is Rachelle. I applaud you or being so open on Facebook. I just wimped out and deleted all the TBM's so I didn't have to listen to their bullshit.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: June 19, 2012 11:53PM

I hate to admit it, but I would never say anything critical about the church on Facebook. I am far too dependent on way too many TBM relatives for things like babysitting or simple social contacts to jeopardize such relationships to make a point. I do try the background approach, posting scientific stories that I find interesting, many of them about our prehistoric ancestors. I hope that maybe something will click.

Posted by: Lou ( )
Date: June 21, 2012 07:42AM

In watching your fb page evolve and by putting it all together, I would guess you can expect the summons to you court of love shortly.

You MIL defriending you is ....... awesomely tragic, but typical.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.