Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: xxMoo ( )
Date: June 15, 2012 02:20AM

First Mormons Building Bridges, now this. Anyone know any more about these guys?

"A message of hope and love to LGBT Mormon youth from the students of USGA (Understanding Same-Gender Attraction) which is an unofficial group of Brigham Young University students, faculty, and friends who wish to strengthen families and the BYU community by providing a place for open, respectful discussions on the topic of same-gender attraction. USGA is not an appropriate forum for angry, vulgar, or profane remarks of any kind, nor for expressions of antagonism against any person or organization. In order to foster an environment of respect and understanding, we ask all participants to be respectful of BYU, the Church of Jesus Christ of latter-day Saints (Mormon), and the beliefs and experiences of others. If you'd like to add your voice to the messages of hope and love, please make a video, upload it to YouTube and send us the link. Thanks!

Find USGA on Facebook at: facebook.com/groups/byuusga

"IT GETS BETTER"

The It Gets Better Project was created to show young LGBT people the levels of happiness, potential, and positivity their lives will reach — if they can just get through their teen years. The It Gets Better Project wants to remind teenagers in the LGBT community that they are not alone — and it WILL get better. The website itgetsbetter.org is a place where young people who are lesbian, gay, bi, or trans can see how love and happiness can be a reality in their future. It's a place where straight allies can visit and support their friends and family members. It's a place where people can share their stories, take the It Gets Better Project pledge, watch videos of love and support, and seek help. Take the pledge to help make it better for others."

Videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ym0jXg-hKCI

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: June 15, 2012 02:46AM

We need to be making "It gets better" videos for those poor dopes that are still mormons.

It will get better, but only when you realize you've been lied to and make a clean break from your cult!

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: June 15, 2012 02:58AM

I think I'd rather be referred to by one of the pejorative terms for homosexuality rather than suffering from "same gender attraction."

I'm wondering how the gay posters feel...

Shoot, given the probable consequences of overpopulation this planet is likely to face, I'm thinking "opposite gender attraction" is the more dangerous "psycho-pathology."

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: June 15, 2012 03:06AM

I detest and will not ever acknowledge that SSA dumbass stuff.

TSCC likes to say "so-called gay and lesbian" such & such.

Ergo, I like to give it right back to them.

I'm gay. I'm not suffering from anything other than a little heartburn once in a while.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: June 15, 2012 10:41AM

OMFG!! Do you think I might be gay, too?

Seriously, I got more than heartburn when I heard about the aversion therapy at BYU and was privileged to report one of those stories here (from a woman, no less).

That one was like a double dose of road rage after two days without sleep...

Thank you in return, Levi. I sometimes need to hear that what I say is worthwhile and helps foster some connections...

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: June 16, 2012 01:38PM

I hate the term SSA. And add to that 'suffering from'!?!?

It enrages me. I hope my own mother never uses it because it would destroy everything we've carefully navigated over the years in one second. That's how bad I hate it. It carries all the hate of Fred PHelps in it but in a much more insidious way.

You are right, that is the most pejorative of all terms. I would take any other one first.

Posted by: Minnie ( )
Date: June 15, 2012 10:52AM

I find this group extremely manipulative, I know they are trying to be supportive in their ignorant way but they just make it worse.

Look be honest for once in your lives, LGBT couples will NEVER be accepted by the church, any more than women will EVER receive the priesthood.

Quit trying to make it look like you want them to be happy, you don't, you want to confuse them further and make them feel bad for wanting a family just like you.

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: June 15, 2012 10:57AM

The LDS and its members have a long history of getting it wrong in regards to the gay thing.

Posted by: xyz ( )
Date: June 15, 2012 11:08AM

EEEEEEK!!!!

Posted by: xxMoo ( )
Date: June 16, 2012 04:52AM

Based on several stories I've read/watched on MBB and elsewhere, it almost seems like the church is promoting "mixed attraction marriages" where the SSA (gay) partner is expected to somehow sublimate his/her natural urges for a lifetime while living a lie? I know they can't be advocating THAT.

Posted by: xyz ( )
Date: June 16, 2012 06:26AM

The cult is desperate to hold the line, but the times they are a-changin'.

And while the cult has no choice but to adjust in order to stay even marginally relevant, they refuse to adjust until the force for change from outside the cult makes it an imperative.

Date: June 16, 2012 01:31PM

To them he is being honest about his same sex attraction, so it isn't a lie.

That is one of the worst parts of this new campaign, it is much more difficult to claim they are living a lie. TSCC can now say that even men being honest with their sexuality can live their lives by the "Proclamation on the Family" and they have an example to prove it.

Nasty stuff. It is of course still a lie because for every gay/straight couple they trot out, I could find a dozen such couples that have ended in painful divorce.

Posted by: dazed11 ( )
Date: June 16, 2012 02:44PM

This group made an It Gets Better video. It should be called an It Doesn't Get Better video. Every last one of them looked terribly depressed and talked in the most monotone voice and only talked about how hard everything is. Not at all like the other It Gets Better videos I have seen that had a very optimistic tone. One guy actually said he would like to say it gets better but he is not sure that it does.

Date: June 16, 2012 02:54PM

"One guy actually said he would like to say it gets better but he is not sure that it does." And that is the message they lead off with! It sounds like somebody trying to gain a testimony by baring a testimony.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: June 16, 2012 02:54PM

It only serves ChurchCo to have lots of different groups on this situation; they can then claim that 'we can't please everyone' .... if they bother to engage with ANY of them (doubtful in any serious sense).

A group of students/faculty at BYU is either officially recognized or it isn't. If someone at ChurchCo pretends to engage with them, I'd guess they're shills for genuine recognition - engagement - discussion of reaching any meaningful objectives. THAT just Isn't going to happen, period.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/16/2012 02:55PM by guynoirprivateeye.

Posted by: Strykary ( )
Date: June 16, 2012 03:16PM

See! We're changing! We're changing! We love all LGBTs! We understand what they're going through and we do not support any type of bullying! If they marry nice people and have nice children they'll be happy!

*pukes*

Posted by: Brefots ( )
Date: June 16, 2012 03:29PM

'In order to foster an environment of respect and understanding, we ask all participants to be respectful of BYU, the Church of Jesus Christ of latter-day Saints (Mormon), and the beliefs and experiences of others.'

Translation: Don't critizise religious beliefs that are homophobic, sexist or against the constitution. We want to keep believing that homosexuals are inferior while pretending to love them so that we can appear christlike though we are not.

Posted by: mrwinternight ( )
Date: June 16, 2012 05:24PM

It is so ridiculous that these organizations exist. Why would someone really get mad or aim their frustration and hate at another person?

The Mormon church is so hypocritical saying that they know that GLBT(Q) are born that way and then they try to change them.

There was a study done in the USA a few years back where 33% of the population admitted to being openly gay or bisexual. That was only the population willing to admit it.

The bottom line is that we are all just a unique blend of male and female. Every person produces both male and female hormones in different levels. Every genetic male body has an undeveloped uterus that hangs on one side of the male prostate gland. Every female body emits seminal fluid and has undeveloped sperm ducts.

Out of the chromosomes we get, only one set is sex specific - the set that makes a persons genitals. All the others are androgynous.

Sexual response is a response to pheromones that activates parts of our brains that in turn activates other chemical releases. There have been studies showing that gay men's brains activate parts of the brain similar to hetero women and lesbian's brains activate parts of the brain similar to hetero men. When a lesbian or hetero man smells male pheromones, it makes them aggressive and combative.

People, religions, governments need to stop trying to put everyone in a box.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.