Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: monomo27 ( )
Date: June 09, 2012 06:23PM

Can you give me a list of the worst quotes from Mormon history and if possible the source of the quote. A few that come to mind but I don't have exact quotes:

Brigham teaches Adam was God
Adulterers should have a dagger through them
Blacks will be servants in the celestial kingdom
When a prophet speaks the thinking is done
Polygamy will continue until Christ comes
Men on the moon and sun
I don't know that we teach that
Joseph never lost his followers unlike Christ
Interracial marriage punishable by death
Women should be subject unto their husbands
Etc.

I really want a nice list of these for the rare person who dares ask why I left.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: yours_truly ( )
Date: June 09, 2012 06:37PM

What about the scratch under the arms and the sprout will reach the roof (I think that was about some missionaries)?

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: June 09, 2012 06:42PM

That whole "Bednar wants me for a pickle" speech.

Such dumbness.

Posted by: lbenni ( )
Date: June 09, 2012 09:28PM

What??!!...I have been out for about 6 years...what is this about Bend Over and a Pickle?

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: August 18, 2013 12:47AM

budweiserbaby Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> http://www.lds.org/general-conference/2007/04/ye-m
> ust-be-born-again?lang=eng

The Alcoholics Anonymous Faith has a dumb slogan which states "A pickle can’t go back to being a cucumber." It is one of about 500 truly ignorant slogans used to heal an alleged 'disease'

Guess Bednar never thought about that as many people here have returned themselves to sanity by leaving LDS Inc forever.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/2013 12:47AM by deco.

Posted by: SayHi2Kolob4Me ( )
Date: June 09, 2012 06:48PM

Brigham has a quote saying that men should be happy to give their wives to the prophet in Journal of Discourses vol 2 pages 13-14

Oregon Pratt says if you don't believe I polygamy you will turn dark as midnight and if you don't there is no truth in Mormonism in JoD 17:225

Apostle Bruce R McConkie says that blacks were less valiant in pre-existence in Mormon Doctrine 527-528

Brigham Young says that blacks will never receive priesthood until every son of Adam is brought to earth in JoD 7:290-291

Brougham Young says that the penalty for having sex with a black person is death on the spot "This will always be" in JoD 10:110

John Taylor says that descendants of Cain (blacks) survived flood so Satan had a representation on earth in JoD vol 22:304

Brigham Young calls blacks uncomely, uncouth etc in JoD 7:290

Young says that blacks can only be servants in heaven in JoD 2:172

Young's quote about putting a javelin through adulterers' hearts in JoD 3:247

Adam is God is quote by young in Deseret News June 18, 1873.

Hinckley saying "we don't know very much about that" regarding god once being a man is in an interview in the San Fransisco Chronicle April 1997.

Hope this helps

Posted by: crom ( )
Date: August 18, 2013 12:31AM

That first one was actually my g-g-g-grandpa Jedediah M. Grant aka Brigham's sledgehammer.

"What would a man of God say, who felt aright, when Joseph asked him for his money? He would say, "Yes, and I wish I had more to help to build up the kingdom of God." Or if he came and said, "I want your wife?" "O yes," he would say, "here she is, there are plenty more."

Posted by: SayHi2Kolob4Me ( )
Date: June 09, 2012 06:52PM

I tried to edit the typos but it said I used a flagged word. Not sure which one.

Posted by: monomo27 ( )
Date: June 09, 2012 07:15PM

These are excellent. Thanks. Keep em coming.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: June 09, 2012 09:31PM

Posted by: smorg ( )
Date: June 09, 2012 07:14PM

Brigham Young challenging his Mormons to 'love' their apostate brethens enough to shed their blood in order to 'save' them.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: June 09, 2012 09:18PM

our Sun gets its energy from Kolob.

'case closed'.

Posted by: fidget ( )
Date: June 09, 2012 10:08PM

I posted one on a thread about women's intelligence, by Lorenzo Snow. It truly makes me sick.

Date: June 09, 2012 10:11PM

I like the cow reference by old Heber C. Kimball

Journal of Discourses Vol 5, page 22 "I think no more of taking another wife than I do of buying a cow."

I think of that one when the GA's daub their eyes at the sacred calling of motherhood and the importance of giving all women that opportunity through polygamy.

Gah!

Anagrammy

Date: June 09, 2012 10:15PM

Posted by: fidget ( )
Date: June 09, 2012 10:23PM

Hahahahahaha I can't stop laughing.

Posted by: flyboy21 ( )
Date: June 10, 2012 01:57AM

Sixty-five children with seventeen of the forty-three wives.

Fortunately Mormonism is so kind to anachronisms. It allows me to see him in a Conestoga low-rider wagon with chrome wheels, hydraulics, and a premium sound system blasting "I Get Around" by Tupac.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: June 10, 2012 01:35AM

"I have no wife whom I love so well that I would not put a javelin through her heart, and I would do it with clean hands."

- Brigham Young

Posted by: FormerLatterClimber ( )
Date: June 11, 2012 04:48AM

So Brigham Young was a sociopath. And he is so revered that a University is named after him? Wtf? I think someone mentioned Stockholm syndrome the other day. It does come to mind...

Posted by: ontheDownLow ( )
Date: June 10, 2012 01:47AM

How about this phrase heared over and over and worn on a lot of members fingers:

CTR "Chose The Right"

What a bunch of hypocrites!

Date: June 10, 2012 03:42AM

I think we can all agree it changed to Clean The Restrooms a few years ago.

Date: June 10, 2012 02:46PM

Posted by: Whiskey_Tango ( )
Date: June 10, 2012 03:30PM

"I would not want you to believe that we bear any animosity toward the Negro. 'Darkies' are wonderful people, and they have their place in our church" President Joseph Fielding Smith (Look magazine, October 22, 1963, 79;)

Posted by: top ( )
Date: June 10, 2012 08:22PM

Posted by: Fetal Deity ( )
Date: June 10, 2012 11:34PM

"Brigham Young emphasized: 'There are multitudes of pure and holy spirits waiting to take tabernacles, now what is our duty?—To prepare tabernacles for them; to take a course that will not tend to drive those spirits into the families of the wicked, where they will be trained in wickedness, debauchery, and every species of crime. It is the duty of every righteous man and woman to prepare tabernacles for all the spirits they can' ( Discourses of Brigham Young, sel. John A. Widtsoe [Salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co., 1954], p. 197)."

http://institute.lds.org/manuals/eternal-marriage-student-manual/u-w-women-3.asp

Posted by: JL ( )
Date: June 11, 2012 05:21AM

I have always heard that Brigham Young said men over the age of 25 and unmarried are a menace to society.

Offensive, appalling, and downright ignorance of what life was like outside of his office and home.

Posted by: Twinker ( )
Date: June 11, 2012 09:49AM

“President David O. McKay has pleaded: Your virtue is worth more than your life. Please, young folk, preserve your virtue even if you lose your lives.”
- Prophet Spencer W. Kimball, LDS Prophet, The Miracle of Forgiveness, p. 63— with Spencer W. Kimball and Pipe organ of the LDS Conference Center.

Check this page on facebook:
Mormon Teachings

Posted by: Turkey Vulture ( )
Date: June 11, 2012 09:56AM

When it comes to offensive racism, I think John Taylor takes the cake:

"And after the flood we are told that the curse that had been pronounced upon Cain was continued through Ham's wife, as he had married a wife of that seed. And why did it pass through the flood? Because it was necessary that the devil should have a representation upon the earth as well as God" (Journal of Discourses 22:304).

Posted by: Twinker ( )
Date: June 11, 2012 09:56AM

"I have a hard time with historians, because historians idolize the truth. The truth is not uplifting. The truth destroys. And historians should tell only that part of the truth that is uplifting, and if it's religious history, that's faith-promoting."

Reported by D. Michael Quinn

Posted by: blindednomore ( )
Date: August 20, 2013 03:33PM

monomo, I have sooo many. I am going to post a few of my favorites but might I suggest an awesome book on this very subject that I just purchased for $6..

This bookstore in SLC is wonderful and full of books.
http://www.utlm.org/booklist/titles/wheredoesitsaythat_xb132.htm

Brigham Young JoD volume 7, page 290
"You see some classes of the human family that are black, uncouth, uncomely, disagreeable and low in their habits, wild, and seemingly deprived of nearly all the blessings of the intelligence that is generally bestowed upon mankind."

BY Deseret News page 308
"How much unbelief exists in the minds of the LDS in regard to one particular doctrine which I revealed to them, and which God revealed to me-namely that Adam is our father and God."

The gem of a quote though, after reading that BY said God revealed the Adam God doctrine to him, is this by Spencer W Kimball, in the Church News

"We warn you against the dissemination of doctrines which are not according to the scriptures and which are alleged to be taught by some of the General Authorities of past generations. Such for instance is the Adam-god theory. We denounce that theory and hope that everyone will be cautioned against this and other kinds of false doctrine."

BY JoD Volume 2 Page 142
"Can you make a Christian of a Jew? I tell you, nay. If a Jew comes into this Church, and honestly professes to be a Saint, a follower of Christ, and if the blood of Judah is in his veins, he will apostatize."

BY JoD Volume 3, page 319
"He (Adam)was the person who brought the animals and the seeds from other planets to this world, and brought a wife with him and stayed here. You may read and believe what you please as to what is found written in the Bible. Adam was made from the dust of an earth, but not from the dust of this earth."

JS's father told a young woman in a blessing that she would preach to the inhabitants of the moon.

JS History of the Church Vol. 6 pg. 408
"I have more to boast of than ever any man had. I am the only man that has ever been able to keep a whole church together since the days of Adam. A large majority of the whole have stood by me. Neither Paul, John, Peter, nor Jesus ever did it. I boast that no man ever did such a work as I. The followers of Jesus ran away from Him; but the LDS never ran away from me yet."

BY JoD Vol 7 page 289
"No man or woman in this dispensation will ever enter into the celestial kingdom of God without the consent of Joseph Smith."

It also contains a quote from JS actually saying we will be required to sacrifice animals again, before Jesus comes, a quote from JFS about "blackies," a quote from Bruce R McConkie about the perils of seeking a personal relationship with Christ, and refers to it as a "gospel hobby" that will lead people out of the Church. This book is amazing. I could go on forever so I'm going to stop now.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.