Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: The Motrix ( )
Date: December 09, 2010 11:18PM

There was another post about bees in the barges of the Brother of Jared as a major mistake in the BOM.

I have one that might be hard to answer and I have never heard it even brought up with people before. It's Jacob saying that the Lehites are on an island -- maybe Moroni and Comoros the islands were the original intention for the BOM. It makes sense, NHM is right there -- I think Joseph and others were fabricating their story with known cities and islands. Maybe they said, "hmm. it was supposed to happen on an island, but how did the golden plates get here, in New York"?

Read it and tell me what you think Jacob is talking about, saying the Lehites were on an island.

It's 2 Nephi 10: 20-21:

20And now, my beloved brethren, seeing that our merciful God has given us so great knowledge concerning these things, let us remember him, and lay aside our sins, and not hang down our heads, for we are not cast off; nevertheless, we have been driven out of the land of our inheritance; but we have been led to a better land, for the Lord has made the sea our path, and we are upon an isle of the sea.

21But great are the promises of the Lord unto them who are upon the aisles of the sea; wherefore as it says isles, there must needs be more than this, and they are inhabited also by our brethren.

I'm actually surprised that the church hasn't read this and changed this. They have plenty of time -- maybe it just goes tot show that the big brass don't really read the scriptures.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: notbyu ( )
Date: December 09, 2010 11:32PM

Well, how would he know how large the American continent was

Posted by: vhainya ( )
Date: December 09, 2010 11:37PM

Ok, so what it seems he's saying here, is that he has led people away from Israel before. Alludes to Moses, but also vaguely mentions it's happened multiple times. Isles seems to be JS's way of saying they were led to other land masses which they now occupy, but we haven't discovered yet.

That's my best guess anyway.

And btw, I hate you for making me read this stuff. :P I'm going to get on Mormon.inc and ask the missionaries to explain it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/2010 11:39PM by vhainya.

Posted by: vhainya ( )
Date: December 09, 2010 11:47PM

Welcome to Mormon.org chat.
A missionary will be with you shortly.

Please continue to hold for the next available missionary.

We apologize for the delay.
You may continue to hold or email us at missionaries@mormon.org

Agent [Nate] is ready to assist you.

Me: Hello

Nate: How may I help you?

Me: Hi, I was just reading through 2 Nephi, and had a question on one of the passages.

The chat session has ended.

Date: December 10, 2010 12:04AM

Thanks, vhainya. Give another shot when you have a chance. Maybe they monitor this board and saw that you were going to ask it, so they disconnected. Hahaha.

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: December 09, 2010 11:52PM

That the passage speaks directly about the American continents because unlike the oldworld, the new world was long and narrow and much more like an Isle.

Date: December 10, 2010 12:02AM

I can see that, North America is *only* 10 million square miles.

I just think it's hilarious. They can make up any excuse they want, and it just gets more and more funny.

Posted by: xcon601 ( )
Date: December 10, 2010 12:04AM

Agent [Nate] is ready to assist you.
Nate: How may I help you?
Me: I had a peculiar question that was raised to me in a discussion the other day and I have no idea how to answer
Nate: Ok
Me: It's on 2 Nephi 10:20-21
Me: I was asked what they mean and I drew a complete blank
Me: can you help me out with it?
The chat session has ended.

Awww. Now I'm never going to become a Mormon :(

Date: December 10, 2010 12:06AM

Holy crap, they're on to us!

Date: December 10, 2010 12:10AM

I got a trick for them. You know how helpful Mormons are. They gave a toll-free 888 number. Guess who's waiting for the "next available agent"?

Date: December 10, 2010 12:21AM

Aaaaaaannd......10 minutes later, no answer to the "24-hour missionary line". As unhelpful as Agent [Nate] was (and am I the only one who is eerily reminded of "Agent Smith"?), I can't fathom that he's on the phone with another lost soul desperately searching for salvation.

Must be masturbating. Note to self: remember to mention my suspicions to his supervisor when I call again tomorrow during normal business hours.

Posted by: Red Puppy ( )
Date: December 10, 2010 01:57AM

Welcome to Mormon.org chat.
A missionary will be with you shortly.

Please continue to hold for the next available missionary.
Agent [Megan] is ready to assist you.

Me: hello?
Me: You there?

Megan: hello
Me: hey, I was reading through 2nd Nephi, and I have a question about it

Megan: okay

Me: its 2 Nephi 10: 20-21
Me: (Here I copy/pasted the scriptures)
Me: What does it mean by an "isle of the sea"? I thought they got to the americas?
Me: At least I was led to believe they arrived at the top of Southern America.

Megan: yes they got to north america

Me: Then why does it say an "isle of the sea"? If they got to N. America it's not exactly an island
Me: You still there?

Megan: yes
Megan: i don't know why they said that

Me: Oh ok
Me: I'll try someone else, thanks for you help. :)
Me: Night.

Which brings me to another question. Do they teach that they arrived in North or South America? In my BYU BoM class the professor taught that they arrived in S. America. He even had a ton of maps and charts of exactly where in South and Central America specific cities/etc were. I don't even know what they teach any more! :(

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.