Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Delightsome White Boy ( )
Date: December 09, 2010 08:33PM

So we were watching our daughters lead flag ceremony at their Elementary School and the EQ President interrupted my enjoying my daughter singing by to telling me that he heard from the Bishop that we want to be put back on the Do Not Contact List and to take our contact information out of the Stake Directory. This is after the recent wave of lovebombing, which included Primary Activities invitation mailed directly to our minor children and a hometeacher popping by to drop off the Ensign on the last day of November.

He said that there is no longer a Do Not Contact List. He said that since we are still on the Wards Official Member list, it is there duty to send people to our house and check in on us. He said that they must have 100% perfect hometeaching and were very happy to hit 100% last month. I said that we have moved on and do not want any assigned friends stopping by with a motive. He said that it was what they needed to do. I asked him if he thought that it would be a better idea if we "Resigned" so they would be able to keep their 100% perfect hometeaching without harassing us. He thought for a second and said absolutely not. We do not want you to resign.

What a crazyass cult? We all would have resigned already if our parents wouldn't be so Spiritually Abused by the Cult, in terms of what they believe would happen to us and their Grandchildren etc.. My mother is the ultimate Cult Member and would disown us entirely if we went so far as to leave the Mormon Church.

Any ideas? What would you suggest.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dapperdan ( )
Date: December 09, 2010 08:40PM

You are a grown adult with children and you still are scared what your parents will think? Resign and be done with it.

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: December 09, 2010 09:02PM

But there is a way to get them to leave you alone and to warn others to stay away-

Get into serious and well researched doctrinal and historical conversations with the Bishop. And don't let him push you around. Do this with whoever drops by.

Posted by: weeder ( )
Date: December 10, 2010 09:27AM

... they will re-instate the "DO NOT CALL LIST" in a hurry.

Sometimes I wish the local morg would make an attempt at re-activating me ;-).

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: December 09, 2010 08:40PM

...appeared in church or PEC meeting and loudly exclaimed, "Go f*ck yourselves and your silly-ass cult!", you'd suddenly be on some sort of Do Not Contact list.

It's just a thought. I'm sure there are ways to get on such a list.

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: December 09, 2010 08:44PM

Make up a little hand out.

Each one would cover a different topic ie: polygamy, temple, BoA, BoM problems, historical problems, lies, etc etc etc.

Then, when they show up, give each one of the home teachers a copy for themselves, a copy for their wives, and a copy for their kids. Then if they say no-thanks, say "ok - I'll just mail it to you".

They might get the point, but then when your name gets transferred to a different companionship, you might have to go through it all over again.

That and nudity are my 2 suggestions.

Posted by: freedomissweet ( )
Date: December 10, 2010 09:17AM

Levi
I like your idea and if you don't mind me taking this on board, I will prepare some handouts.
I have resigned so don't get those sort of visits, but I like to be prepared.
It could be useful to hand these out instead of getting into long discussions (unless that's what they want to do).

To OP - I was never in the position of having a tbm older generation family so feel for you. However, why do we feel we shouldn't upset family members when they don't seem to mind upsetting us.

To get rid of the nuisance calls/visits of the cult you should resign. The feeling is great. Just saying, don't want to offend you. Good luck

Posted by: vhainya ( )
Date: December 09, 2010 08:55PM

Sounds like it could just be that bishop or SP being an ass.

Posted by: kestrafinn (not logged in) ( )
Date: December 09, 2010 11:10PM

If resignation is not an option, I would write a letter to the EQ President, with a copy to the Bishop, informing them that there is to be no VT's to your home and you wish to have your family left alone. Tell them it is harassment, that you consider it trespassing, and should they ignore your wishes, you will contact the police (and/or a lawyer).

I'd also make a comment about how incredibly rude it was to interrupt the enjoyment of your daughter's performance, and how the lovebombing lately has done nothing but reinforce your negative opinion about the church.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: December 09, 2010 11:15PM

You could point out that it's illegal to harrass someone.

Posted by: luckychucky ( )
Date: December 09, 2010 11:34PM

I'ts not harassment because he is a member of the club and that means he submits to the rules and practices of the cult. The rules and practices say 100% home teaching is part of the game, sorry. Resegnation or forced excomunication is the only legal option to make them go away permanantly. Just resign, if your mom disowns you its her loss, not yours. Familys important but but they are ultimately responsable for thier own choice of ignorance.

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: December 10, 2010 01:09AM

Membership in a club does not abrogate a person's right to be left alone. Frankly, I think you need to talk to a lawyer about what you can do for this overachiever. Contacting your minor children without your knowledge is a serious violation of your rights as a parent.

My advice, send a letter with copies to this douche AND to the honchos at SLC stating in simple terms that you do not wish to be bothered by this church any more. State in the letter that you will cheerfully make this a police matter AND you will see if any media sites are interested in the stalking behavior of this branch of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. My guess is that they would be very unhappy with the thought of negative public attention. :)

Lucky, someone doesn't have to formally leave a "club" for that club to respect their wishes not to be contacted. That kind of anxious stalking is reserved for hysterical and mentally ill individuals, not for a healthy and stable entity.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: December 10, 2010 03:54AM

No one is required to subject themselves to every aspect of an organization just because their name is on some roster. You can tell an organization which programs you're willing to accept, and it's harassment if they continue to hound you.

Posted by: blueskyutah ( )
Date: December 09, 2010 11:58PM

Posted by: Tyson Dunn ( )
Date: December 10, 2010 12:09AM

If that's the way they want to play, you might consider sending postcards with links to sites that explain how to resign from the church to every family in the stake directory.

I'm guessing they'd probably prefer not to have that information going to 2,000 or members. After all, at 28 cents a postcard and maybe 3 people per household, you could canvas the stake for around $200. That's seems like cheap distribution of the truth. :)

Tyson

Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: December 10, 2010 01:44AM

and parking at the most popular entrance at the church? Since you are a member you can still park there right?

Posted by: loveskids ( )
Date: December 10, 2010 02:21AM

I know I have mentioned this before,but I think you are right. A few months ago I read an e-mail from the SP to all the priesthood leadership (dh is in HP prez) that do not contacts are no longer acceptable. That home teachers MUST find a way to visit these families that don't want to be bothered. Something about these do not contact people and how they really don't know what they want and are just waiting to get invited back to church.
I think we just all need to get over who ever we are mad at,or go confess to the bishop of our affairs,or admit we are just to lazt to go to church. How about it. LOL

Posted by: helemon ( )
Date: December 10, 2010 03:30AM

He can keep his perfect numbers and you keep your privacy.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: December 10, 2010 04:01AM

The only such lists are local, haphazard, temporary. Some local wards have them. Others don't. Bishops and SPs scrap them at will, and most wards continue to contact anyone on such lists if only to ask them several times a year if they still object to contact.

Also, resignation does NOT guarantee that the morg will leave anyone alone 100%. They often continue to harass former members, just usually not the the same extent as if they had not resigned.

Those are the facts.

Posted by: paintingintheWIN ( )
Date: December 10, 2010 04:22AM

if you do something not excommunicateable (which would threaten your elderly parents and children's possible contact with cousins or inheritance * and that is not a reasonable sacrifice in this economy for many of us)

but so awkward - but you have to be able to handle the gossip (ie consider work / customer base if you depend on a small town image)

no one will want to visit you again. & Can YOU do it? without blushing?

for instance:
walk out to meet them in a wife beater undershirt or walk around the house while visiting teachers are there bare chested.
they might think you're had a break down & reach out urgently to support your wife they feel so sorry for her.

or sit at the computer playing video games with no shirt on in short shorts. that's awkward. Ignore them. Make it a computer in the living room.

one day if your wife answers the door in a sports bra for a top & her sweats or jeans *if it was cold wear a hoodie unzipped open with that bare midrif that would be awkward. (for them)

just enough so they know the husband hasn't had a breakdown & the wife is having a snapping point with their rules too. or they'll swoop in and need to protect her, because, you know men.

um your crucifix or pretty cross over the door, or a beautiful stone garden statue of some nice saint - they won't understand the garden statue of the fairy or garden sprite you hold holy and they really won't catch the significance of your totem near by it'll go right over their head.

But, you could move your personal alter out into the living room (or ask your wife if she would be willing to) and see if anybody would notice. They day they're walking through. Hang a bell over it, ring the chimes hung over you or your wife's personal alter every time you're walking by it while they visit- see if they notice. Let a candle still be burning, sage the house first before they come- see if they even notice.

if you got a little new age Let crystals you use or collect be by the door- around the house- put your black tourmaline out.

I did that for years & the ward bishopric kept walking right by. I think its the clothes & hair cut by the husband or the guy
that throws them. As long as they can relate to him they keep walking right on in and honestly do not see it- see no significance to it.

or is that too subtle for them.

they accept all sorts of decor & even coffee wouldn't throw them

Posted by: utahmonomore ( )
Date: December 10, 2010 04:29AM

Send in your exit letter and screen all of your phone calls. Then dont open the door unless you know who it is.

Posted by: Zeno Lorea ( )
Date: December 10, 2010 05:55AM

Everytime someone called or showed up at my house after my mother died, I just told them my boyfriend was great comfort, and that during all the stress of her having cancer, our sex life had become so wild! And I just kept gushing out all the details about gay sex, what we did, where we did it and so on, ignoring their amazement.

I sometimes go to mormon wards to see how they are doing (miserably, mostly) but always far from home and without mentioning my name. They'll remove the "visitors welcome" sing before long I guess.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2010 05:57AM by Zeno Lorea.

Posted by: melissa3839 ( )
Date: December 10, 2010 08:09AM

Well, you could always try dressing up all nice like a missionary, then going to THEIR doors, with some Anti-Mormon Literature in your hand, and start by saying,

"Yes, hello. Did you know that Joseph Smith had (x amount of) wives?" (List their names from the online web pages).

Then, "Did you know that there is no decent DNA evidence to back up the claims of the book of Mormon?"

"Did you know about the Mountain Meadows Massacre? And that the church's most revered leaders directly took part in it? Yes, they came up to a group of travelers trying to move to California. They separated the men from the women and children. Murdered the men. They they murdered all the women and children, above the age of 8!! And took all the rest of the children to absorb into their little "community". Great prophets, hm??"

"Did you know that much of the temple ceremony key points were borrowed from the Freemasons?" (give examples, the apron, the pre-1990 penalties, the handshakes)

"Did you know that Joseph Smith himself joined the Freemasons to gain protection? Or that the top 33rd ring of Freemasons have been filmed taking part in Satanic rituals?"

Yeah. See how they like a good dose of the truth.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2010 08:14AM by melissa3839.

Posted by: They don't want me back ( )
Date: December 10, 2010 08:30AM

I guess he thinks he's inspired.

I bet a cease and desist order would work, telling the police that he claims he can’t honor you “do not contact us” notification and he thinks because you’re on the rolls as a member (even thought you don’t attend Church) that he can send people to your home to “check up on you”, will just make him look like a nutter, tell the police you want to file a protection from stalker/harassment to keep him away from you and see how that works!

Send him a note telling him that yes “There is such a thing as a no-contact list”, and the police will back it up.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.