Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: jan ( )
Date: June 05, 2012 12:32PM

Just dropped my son off at Vacation Bible School and it occurred to me - how come Kolobian Korp doesn't offer anything like this? Vacation Book of Mormon School, perhaps, where one group of children could wear dark makeup and slaughter the white and delightsome half. Or Vacation Book of Abraham School where the children could learn the many plain and precious truths of that sacred volume.

Really, though; lots of churches offer VBS programs in the summer; why do you suppose LDS Corp doesn't?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: flyboy21 ( )
Date: June 05, 2012 12:49PM

For a lot of churches, two working parents are the norm, and activities like that also provide valuable child care while being wholesome activities. Since LDS moms should be at home, they should be supervising their kids 24/7 and doing that kind of stuff daily anyway. When women working becomes more standard in the LDS Church, I bet that sort of stuff will indeed come around.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2012 12:49PM by flyboy21.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: June 05, 2012 12:50PM

vacation bible school ?

Ah yes .... jesus camp lite.

Posted by: diableavecargent ( )
Date: June 05, 2012 02:30PM

Scout camp. Not so much of an emphasis on Jesus, but it is lots of time for young men leaders to influence the young over whom they are called to swerve.

Posted by: jaredsotherbrother ( )
Date: June 05, 2012 02:44PM

As a little TBM, I was invited to and attended a summer Bible school. At first it was very confusing meshing my Sunday school and Primary lessons with the mushy nondenominational Jesus talk, but I soon recovered. And I kicked ass on any Old Testament story-related games.

Turned out to be not only fun, but great cog-dis training for my Aaronic Priesthood years.

Posted by: jbug ( )
Date: June 05, 2012 04:26PM

One of my kids went to a vacation bible school on and off. Because it was FREE babysitting. I bet the cult would charge. They also picked kids up for free. We all know the cult wouldn't do that. It would be staffed by over worked Mormon women who already have more than enough to so on the Mormon hamster wheel. I doubt if the cult would ever have this, but if they could find a way to make it profitable who knows?

Posted by: Boston Bob ( )
Date: June 06, 2012 02:28AM

Especially for Youth? That's the mormon equivalent to the Bible camp bs

Posted by: Southern ExMo ( )
Date: June 06, 2012 10:48AM

Vacation Bible School?

Ah, yes!

Pleasant memory from my own youth.

I was invited to go to VBS at a local Lutheran church by my best friend, who was a member of that church.

It was two weeks long. The best two weeks of that summer, IMHO.

I wish my friend hadn't had to move away, because I really wanted to go back the next year.

Posted by: Chicken'n'Backpacks ( )
Date: June 06, 2012 10:56AM

Well, LDS kids are supposed to get up at O Dark Thirty, study the scriptures with the family, then go to seminary and study the scriptures, and spend a chunk of time on Sunday to study the scriptures.

Vacation time should be a time to......study the scriptures!

Posted by: sd ( )
Date: June 06, 2012 11:05AM

isn't that dumb pointing fingers at dumber?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.