Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: tl ( )
Date: June 04, 2012 12:49PM

Does anyone know the exact year that a woman was allowed to enter the temple even though her husband was not a member? I want to say it was before 1980?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: June 04, 2012 01:14PM

had you asked prior to '93 to go?

FYI for those who don't know/remem:

it used to be that the Only FIRST TIME 'reasons' ppl were allowed to attend was to:

a) go on a mission

b) get hitched.

Ppl wanting to go, other than those, was Highly Suspect if not outright prohibited.

As with most all things MO, this mostly depended on who your BP/SP were, although there were SL 'guidelines'.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/04/2012 01:18PM by guynoirprivateeye.

Posted by: jan ( )
Date: June 04, 2012 02:18PM

guynoirprivateeye Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> had you asked prior to '93 to go?
>
Yep, asked in 1975. Bishop refused because of fear that my husband would see my garments and make fun of them. Wonder why I didn't realize then how STUPID that sounds...

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: June 04, 2012 01:22PM

My sister married a nonmo. I can't remember the exact year, but it seems like it was sometime in the early 80's they let her take out her endowments

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: June 04, 2012 02:15PM

The first one I remember was 1978, having recently returned from my mission and attending a singles ward. So, sometime between 75 and 78.

(And btw, not just in the situation of a non-member husband, but it applied to all women regardless of marital status.)

And the "who actually pays the tithing" debate began....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/04/2012 02:20PM by jpt.

Posted by: Laban's Head ( )
Date: June 04, 2012 02:24PM

My grandmother went through the temple when her son (my uncle) was married in the 1940's -- without my grandfather, who was a member but not active.

Posted by: mcarp ( )
Date: June 04, 2012 05:22PM

My mother (married never-mo, divorced) was allowed to get her endowment some time before my mission -- 1978. My recollection is that it was 75 or 76. (It wasn't directly connected to my mission call in any way.)

Posted by: misty ( )
Date: June 04, 2012 05:22PM

My husband married his first wife in 1984. His mother, who was married to a never-mo, was not allowed to attend or take out her own endowments.

Posted by: Southern ExMo ( )
Date: June 05, 2012 12:39AM

As a female who was not going on a mission, I was told by my bishop in 1975 that I would not be allowed to go to the temple until I either:

1, was getting married in the temple,

or

2, hit age 30. At age 30, he said that (if I were worthy) I would be allowed to go.

As it turned out, I got married in the temple AT age 30.

And yes, the day I got married is also the day I entered the temple for the first time, and got my endowments, washing and annointings, etc.

It was the mid-1980s, by the time I finally went to the temple.

Posted by: epsynonia ( )
Date: June 05, 2012 12:52AM

I took my endowments out in 1991 at the age of 22. I was neither

A. Engaged

Nor

B. Planning on going on a mission

I just missed the death penalties and would probably have run screaming if I hadn' t

I first talked to my bp in my home ward about it at the age of 21. With no fiance or mission plans he discouraged me. My YBU ward bp was more encouraging, particularly when I told him that I didn't intend for my spiritual progression to be dictated solely by my relationship status, and that I intended to be the right person instead of just waiting for the right person.

Now I just think I was an idgit . . .

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2012 12:56AM by epsynonia.

Posted by: frankie ( )
Date: June 05, 2012 01:00AM

thank you for bringing this topic up, I was totally unware of this. this emphasizes the bigotry

Posted by: Whiskey_Tango ( )
Date: June 05, 2012 01:29AM

My grandmother was married to a non-member. She went through temple in 1961. I think it just matters who the Bishop and Sp are.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.