Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: xyz ( )
Date: June 04, 2012 12:34PM

The L.A. Times hit it right on the money with that headline, didn't they? Not content with denying the humanity of and the rights of lesbians and gays within their midst, nor with spending tens of millions to do the same in every jurisdiction wherein they could insert their voice from Alaska to Argentina, from Hawaii to Germany, the Mormons have decided to over-run the one thing that publicly set LGBT people apart from TBMs in the entire Mormo-fascist Corridor: the Gay Pride Parade.

Are you confused over whether LGBT people should share THAT celebration with Mormons? So are a lot of LGBT people across the nation:

call me cynical - but I dont trust them.....I wouldn't put it past the Mormons to "pretend all is well" so it gioves them -nationally - a softer feel before the election..I hate to feel this way, but I thinks its ALL part of thier plan. No doubt the Higher ups in the Mormon Cult are Licking thier Chops at the very thought as Mitt Romney being president....and this is JUST A PLOY...to make them come off less, weird, more tolerant etc etc
Posted by: Disgusted American | Jun 4, 2012 7:45:50 AM

This is really pathetic. "Mormons Building Bridges" does not suppor gay equality. They "love" us just like Tony Perkins does. They shouldn't have been allowed to march.
Posted by: calvin | Jun 4, 2012 7:57:20 AM

I'm not buying it. How convenient that the year we have a Mormon running for president, the Mormons decide they were wrong about gays and want to repent! Please. This is all a ploy and then once the election is over, they will go right back to where they have always been: virulently anti-gay. NOT BUYING IT.
Posted by: Rob | Jun 4, 2012 8:23:14 AM

Sorry, but this is an astroturf PR campaign orchestrated to give the Mormon cult cover while they continue to promote and fund anti-gay animosity and legislation around the country and around the world.

Not buying it!

I believe that most of the participants are genuine (as are the Tea Party idiots who are part of the 99% but march in the streets to support the 1% against their own best interests) but the 1% "church" hierarchy are pulling the propaganda strings. The Mormon cult spends hundreds of millions of dollars worldwide each year on propaganda to make themselves look less threatening and more loveable. They're no different from the cult of Scientology; or the cult of Christianity or Islam for that matter. Except they're even more crazy because they believe all the Christian crazy and then added a shitload of their own (demonstrably false) crazy to it.

dum-da'dum-dum dum-dum-dumb!
Posted by: TampaZeke | Jun 4, 2012 8:37:44 AM

http://www.towleroad.com/2012/06/mbbvideo.html#ixzz1wqHLj87i

Here is one simple truth the SL Tribune (and all the newsmedia who simple cut-'n'-pasted the article) neglected to mention: any tithe-paying Mormon who marched in the SLC Gay Pride Parade is STILL a member of the LDS church, and is counted as such by their lords and masters in the COB. In fact, Reuters is the only newsgroup that accurately drew the distinction between these rogue Mormons and the larger body of the faithful:
"Munson's group is not endorsed by or directly affiliated with Utah-based Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints."
http://news.yahoo.com/mormon-group-shows-support-salt-lake-city-gay-010430276.html

I wonder if the members of Mormons Building Bridges all pay an honest tithe to maintain their membership in an organization that some categorize as an organization that actively supports hate groups (the LDS church is probably the single largest financial supporter of NOM):
http://www.splcenter.org/get-informed/intelligence-report/browse-all-issues/2010/winter/the-hard-liners

There are some bizarre quotes floating around the internet.
This one from a featherweight apologist who knoweth not the difference between conditional and unconditional love, nor, apparently, does she know anything about the millions and millions of dollars her cult has spent fighting LGBT civil rights legislation across America (acts which can hardly be categorized as "loving"):
"The only message is one of love. We are focusing on a message of love. We are faithful Mormons. We believe. We attend our wards. But there has been heartbreak and strife and we want to end that. We are not supported by any political group, and we are asking people to have no signage for political causes. In this Pride Parade contingent, we are not taking a stand either way on marriage equality. Our signs are quotes from LDS Church General Authorities, the Bible, and LDS hymns about loving your neighbor."
http://www.religiondispatches.org/dispatches/joannabrooks/6018/mormons_prepare_to_march_in_lgbt_pride_parades_nationwide/

Mormons Building Bridges group organizer Erika Munson letteth her cog-dis runneth over:
"I've always felt like I was supportive in my own way of the LGBT community but I've had to keep that and my commitment for the church separate."
http://news.yahoo.com/mormon-group-shows-support-salt-lake-city-gay-010430276.html
Translation: "I am a devout TB Mormon but I am going all schizophrenic here and starting this group to try to convince all you gay people that I'm not a hater like my church leaders are."

Do you buy that? I don't.

So who will the parade organizers allow to march next year? How about a few representatives from Focus on the Family? Maybe the KKK can send a contingent -- their sign could read: "White Supremacists Loving Black 2ueerz!"? Or how about asking Charles L. Worley to be the 2013 Grand Marshall:
http://www.viralviralvideos.com/2012/05/23/pastor-goes-on-anti-gay-rant-calls-to-fence-in-gays-till-they-die-off/

I recognize that, living in the middle of Mormon Utah, teh gheyz have to play by the rules of the Reich, but did 1930s Jews appoint Nazis as Rabbis? I think not. This is a question of having one's values lined up properly.

Maybe it's just me, but if I were among the parade's organizers, I would have refused Mormons Building Bridges permission to participate on the premise that "love" or not, they remain self-identified members of an organization that has become known internationally not only as one that has battled against every civil-rights effort by the LGBT community for more than 25 years, but as one that has willingly, actively, physically tortured their own LGBT members, cast them out, and shunned and mistreated them and their loved ones.

Ever since the first organized marches and demonstrations of 27 & 28 June 1970 to commemorate the Stonewall Riots of 1969, the Gay Pride Parade is an "Annual Reminder ... [of] ...the ideas and ideals of the larger struggle in which we are engaged -- that of our fundamental human rights."
Carter, David (2004). Stonewall: The Riots That Sparked The Gay Revolution. St. Martin's Press, p.230

Again, maybe it's just me, but the Gay Pride Parade is not an appropriate venue for dedicated TBM hate-group members to apply balm to their collective guilty consciences at. It is not The "Assuage Guilty Mormon Haters' Feelings" Parade. It is a parade to celebrate lesbian and gay independence of, freedom from, and liberation out of the antiquated constrictions of the culture at large, the rules of which -- ESPECIALLY in Salt Lake City -- are dictated by the leaders of and supporters of anti-gay hate groups.

Those who claim "love" need to put their money where their mouths are and resign their membership in such a despicable organization, or protest their so-called "church"'s two-faced hate campaign on their own turf. Mormon "love" pivots conditionally on terms that remain unacceptable. The Gay Pride Parade is not their turf.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: June 04, 2012 12:37PM

They have a lot of work to do before I am convinced they are genuine and that they are supporting gays as gays are, not as their church wants gays to behave.

Posted by: Tauna ( )
Date: June 04, 2012 12:44PM

Most (if not all) of them are mormons that are on the fringe of Mormondum. They are your NOMs that really don't believe in the church but go just to keep their spouses happy. They are the 'John Dehlin crowd'.

They may be called in to talk to their Bishop if he finds out they participated in this.

Posted by: judyblue ( )
Date: June 04, 2012 12:47PM

Hey, media outlets? Let's keep in mind that this was not a church-sanctioned gathering. I have no doubt that a few hundred (and probably more) mormons in the SLC area are supportive of gay rights, and that they were proud to stand up and show that support.

But that IN NO WAY means that TSCC is softening its stance on homosexuality or equal rights.

I think the people who marched in the parade had their hearts in the right place, even if the execution was clumsy. But they are certainly not spokespeople for the rest of the church.

Date: June 04, 2012 12:48PM

Carry their signs of support in the "Days of 47" parade.

Date: June 04, 2012 12:54PM

Yeah, that would be a good start.

Not only that - maybe some local LGBT groups should petition to be in that parade. They can carry signs that say: "LGBTs - persecuted in Utah for 165 years ...and counting!"

Date: June 04, 2012 01:03PM

Posted by: bignevermo ( )
Date: June 04, 2012 12:53PM

what you presented shows how it may not be a good idea...their motives do seem suspicious this election year...no other year have they wanted to march.....things that make ya go HMmmmmmmmm!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/04/2012 12:54PM by bignevermo.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: June 04, 2012 01:05PM

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: June 04, 2012 01:05PM

Not being gay myself, I would never bring up being straight in relation to my support for equal treatment and representation for the LGBT lifestyle. In fact I would march down the street in full drag to hide my sexual preference, not because I am ashamed of being heterosexual, but because I am not supporting that cause at the moment.

Date: June 04, 2012 01:15PM

But I also think I speak on behalf of a great many gays when I said, please do not hide your sexuality for any reason. Come along in drag, yahooo. Many of use were damaged by hiding who we are, and we would not ask anyone to do the same on our behalf.

Posted by: bignevermo ( )
Date: June 04, 2012 02:55PM

just sayin!

Posted by: Strykary ( )
Date: June 04, 2012 04:09PM

Posted by: PapaKen ( )
Date: June 04, 2012 01:12PM

This is one of the steps toward greater awareness. Maybe it assuages some guilt for some people, but if you can look beyond that for a minute.....

Perhaps this is all they can do for now. Perhaps it's stretching them to their limit to even show up.

But their participation sure did create additional awareness. And it sparked this discussion, which will lead to more and more discussion. I see that as good, not bad.

The MBBers will eventually have to decide where they stand as members of a fraudulent church that hates gay people. But the steps they took in marching are certainly steps toward, not away from greater awareness and acceptance.

Date: June 04, 2012 01:20PM

I think it fair to say that it will take some time to build trust with many gays.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: June 04, 2012 01:17PM

Q: who sponsors the 'Days of 47' parade, who would have to give the 'Golden O.K.'?

Date: June 04, 2012 01:24PM

I know that one gay group from one of the collages (not BYU) marched in the parade in the past.

Posted by: archaeologymatters ( )
Date: June 04, 2012 01:46PM

This is not surprising. Human evolve. Intolerance towards gays is not accepted by most people anymore. Mormons are forced to enter the 21st century just as they were forced to be more tolerant towards blacks more than a decade after the civil rights movement, and a decade after Martin Luther King was shot.

Eventually I imagine you will be able to be gay and be Mormon. It will take a while for the leadership in the church to catch up with people who were marching in the parade, but it will eventually happen.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: June 04, 2012 01:51PM

archaeologymatters Wrote:
Mormons are forced to enter the
> 21st century just as they were forced to be more
> tolerant towards blacks more than a decade after
> the civil rights movement, and a decade after
> Martin Luther King was shot.

FLIP of this:

No One 'Forces' the LDS church to do anything, short of court rulings.

I, at the time TBM, thought of the Inverse:

the church 'weathered' the social pressure of the C.R. movement, 'waited' until God revealed it.

R I G H T.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: June 04, 2012 02:19PM

No, they didn't weather the C.R. movement. There were more than fifty lawsuits for racial discrimination pending in the Utah courts when they "waited" for a revelation.

Which Spencer W. Kimball INSISTED was NOT a revelation and he REQUIRED they call it an "Announcement." He did not want to be lying as he went to meet his maker.

Of course, the remaining General Authorities were under no such bindings of conscience and completely rewrote the entire episode, changing the coming about of the changing of policy regarding blacks and the priesthood from a decision made by a committee on the advice of attorneys to a revelation complete with sunbeam and angels.

Mother in Heaven!

Anagrammy

PS. Mother in Heaven's carrer is in a deep slide due to lack of publicity. Perhaps making apostates under her control would perk up her image. Otherwise, she's just an extra with no lines.

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: June 04, 2012 02:11PM

The Mormon participation in the SLC Pride parade is a huge sign. It shows that large numbers of Mormons do not agree with the LDS stance on marriage, and are motivated enough to put on a public display. A few years ago, this would have triggered disciplinary action against them, but the church is too cowed by bad PR and a growing dissension in the LDS Church. Too many LDS families have gay relatives and too many people grew up with close friends who have since come out.

Date: June 04, 2012 02:20PM

I know many are there to say that you can be both gay and Mormon, which is a message in support of celibacy, not gay marriage.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: June 04, 2012 02:16PM

I think it shows that younger Mormons don't agree with the church's stance against gay marriage. Unfortunately, the old leaders have to completely die off before there's actual acceptance of the GLBT community.

Date: June 04, 2012 02:21PM

I can't find anything anywhere that says ANY of the marches disagree with anything TSCC says about gays.

Posted by: archaeologymatters ( )
Date: June 04, 2012 02:20PM

Yeah it will be a very long time before the church leaders agrees with what those at the protest were doing. Tolerance towards minorities takes time in a society, and for mormons it takes longer.

All of this does expose how much of a sham the mormon church is. I'm glad mormons are more tolerant now towards blacks, but that alone proves the mormon church is a fraud. God believed blacks were cursed in 1977, and then in 1978 he didn't? Wow, I am glad I do not believe in this church anymore.

Date: June 04, 2012 02:32PM

you should RESIGN instead of acting all needy dysfunctional and forming a group that marches in the Gay Pride Parade so you can feel good about your cognitive dissonance.

I think if you want to make a public statement that says you disagree with the Mormon cult's international multi-million-dollar anti-gay campaign there is no better way to do that than to carry a sign that says: "***EX-***MORMONS for LGBT CIVIL RIGHTS".

Especially given the fact that the Mormon church has never, ever budged on their anti-gay stance, instead upping the ante by secretly sponsoring and financially backing a listed hate group (National Organization for Marriage).

I suppose we shall just have to wait and see if the Missionary Training Center Drum & Bugle Corps is featured in next years' parade lineup, signaling the total co-option of the event by Utah's theocrats.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: June 04, 2012 04:31PM

I was about to post that sentiment.

Posted by: caedmon ( )
Date: June 04, 2012 03:16PM

TSCC has not changed it's stance on gays or marriage equality.

But this group will be held up as an example of the wonderfulness of Mormon tolerance. Like those profiled on the "I'm a Mormon" videos, these people are outliers who do not represent the general Mormon membership. I admire the impulse to build bridges but I am frustrated that the church will use their personal individual tolerance by TSCC's PR disinformation campaign.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/04/2012 03:24PM by caedmon.

Date: June 04, 2012 03:21PM

Look at all the cut-'n'-paste articles about it on the internet, ONLY ONE of which calls to the readers' attention the fact that this group is in no way affiliated with LDS, Inc.

Which is why I questioned the wisdom of allowing it, esp. in an election year.

Posted by: foggy ( )
Date: June 04, 2012 03:38PM

Just a warning to everyone, if you don't want to feel frustrated and angry today, don't make the mistake I did of reading the KSL comments to their version of this story.

Why do I always do this to myself?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/04/2012 03:38PM by foggy.

Date: June 04, 2012 03:41PM

Thanks a lot foggy.

I was going to go to a movie, but now I gotta read.

Date: June 04, 2012 04:25PM

I read a few pages, but had to quit. Some of those writers are just so stiffled by LD$ brainwashing, there's no talking to them, although a few tried.

Now I HAVE to go to that movie!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.