Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: emma ( )
Date: December 09, 2010 11:50AM

I am also wondering how to explain to my tbm husband why I would be reading a cult recovery book without offending him.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: December 09, 2010 12:24PM

has two:

Combatting Cult Mind Control (excellent)

Releasing the Bonds (haven't read).

Combatting cult mind control talks a lot about his experience as Moonie. I don't think it mentions the LDS church at all.

It's an interesting read. I think it's interesting in terms of his actual experiences and learning about the Moonies, and in terms of showing how people control each other, and how we are vulnerable as humans to control and manipulation. I thought it was striking how religious abuse of cults parallels abusive relationships.

BTW, he spoke at the exmo conference a year ago.

I would just tell your husband what the book is about, and that you thought it was incredible what the guy went through. There has been a lot of stuff in the media about Scientology, maybe you could tie your interest in to some Scientology news story?

Personally, I think it's easy for LDS people to poke the finger at other groups. Maybe he'd take some interest.

Rick Ross also has a lot of stuff online about cults. You might just google him.

Posted by: utahmonomore ( )
Date: December 09, 2010 12:26PM

Church of lies by Flora Jessop, and Lost Boy(s) by Brent Jeffs

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: December 09, 2010 12:41PM

Co-Dependent No More - Melody Beattie

Worked wonders for me. Not anti-morg, just a wonderful journey to recovery from anything entailing co-dependency (making yourself available to help anyone at any time and lose yourself).

Ron

Posted by: alan ( )
Date: December 09, 2010 12:48PM

Steve Hassan's books were very helpful for me. "Releasing the Bonds" delves into Hassan's "Strategic Interaction Approach," which is his preferred method of intervening with cult members. Neither book mentions the LDS Church at all. Hassan's presentation to the exmormon conference may be viewed by searching at YouTube.

I would try to tell your husband that you are interested in how Scientology, the Moonies, and/or the Hare Krishnas operate (or something along those lines). All of those cults are discussed, in varying detail, in Combatting Mind Control.

Posted by: alan ( )
Date: December 09, 2010 12:54PM

A book more specific to recovery from Mormonism is titled "The Pattern of the Double-Bind in Mormonism." It's for free and on the exmormon.org site: http://www.exmormon.org/pattern/index.htm

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/2010 12:56PM by alan.

Posted by: emma ( )
Date: December 09, 2010 01:02PM

Thanks everyone. I'll go see if they have some of these at the library

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.