Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: dapperdan ( )
Date: December 08, 2010 11:54PM

Hello all,

After a few weeks of lurking I figured it was time to add my 2ยข to the board. I was born in the church to convert parents, and by the time I was 5 I knew it was all a lie. I was a closet unbeliever my whole life until recently About 3 weeks ago I came out to my parents a non-believer. It was about that time that I found this site. It is nice to know that there are others out there that know what I'm going through. If enough people wanna know more about my back story in the church I will post it. I hope to get to know you all, and I will do my best to make the board a better place.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: imbadash ( )
Date: December 09, 2010 12:09AM

When I was eight and baptised I distinctly remember thinking. What's the big deal and how come I dont feel the spirit and love like everyone else does. But at eight you love and trust your family so I guess I just let myself go along with it. 25 old years before I started to really question it.But my time stuck there was worth the price cause I have anamazing husband because of it.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: December 09, 2010 12:28AM

because you figured things out so young. I bought it all, hook, line and sinker for years. You put your whole heart into it when you believe like that so you waste so much more - not just in years but in money and effort. Glad you are both here - it's nice to know such sharp people.

Posted by: dufreyne ( )
Date: December 09, 2010 01:09AM

DapperDan:

Welcome. Know that you are among friends here. Nice job on the conversation with your parents--always a challenging scenario. Feel free to add further details of your situation and you can ask for feedback. You will likely get a variety of opinions, but certain themes frequently come through. This can be helpful as you attempt to gauge how you are doing in this process. Best of luck.

Dufreyne

Posted by: bignevermo ( )
Date: December 09, 2010 02:46PM

from shawshank !! :)
BTW welcome aboard! i lurked for a LONG time before i first posted.... just a little FYI... if you state any "facts" have your citations at the ready!! :)

Posted by: Raider ( )
Date: December 09, 2010 01:21AM

Welcome Dapperdan: I believe that was a hair jelly George Clooney wore in the movie Oh Brother Where Art Thou

Posted by: seymour ( )
Date: December 09, 2010 02:59PM

Yeah, he's a Dapper Dan man.

Speaking of great movie quotes (from another thread):

"Consider the lilies of the g--d--n field."

Posted by: angryaaron ( )
Date: December 09, 2010 02:16PM

Welcome dapperdan,

I recently shared my late sister's story. Feel free to share your backstory whenever you feel the time is right. I too recognized TSCC was false at a very young age. Welcome again to the board and we look forward to hearing from you.

Posted by: T-Bone ( )
Date: December 09, 2010 02:41PM

Welcome dapperdan,

I had problems from an early age as well. I remember thinking, "OK, so he had a set of plates and showed them to somebody, so God made them disappear."

Way too convenient. I can remember sitting there in a clip-on tie and all the sudden the whole thing just seemed ridiculous. All the people going up there in F&T meeting and bawling their eyes out, all the guys going on missions for two years when they could have been necking with girls (that's all I knew about girls at the time), and all that money being given to a church that was created by a con man.

Common sense says that if a guy makes up fantastic stories and then refuses to back up those stories, he's probably lying. And every time something happened, he went in to a room and got a new "revelation." I knew even as a child that men were whipped, and since JS got a "revelation" that God didn't want the members using tobacco after his wife yelled at him for spitting on the floor, it was something he made up.

As far as my story, I left as a deacon, and for some crazy reason decided to check it out again as an adult. I was going through a hard time. After a year or so, I knew it was a lie.

Good for you for figuring it out.

T-Bone

Posted by: Comfortably Numb ( )
Date: December 09, 2010 03:02PM

Welcome Dan - looking forward to learning more of your background to compare notes with.

Posted by: Misfit ( )
Date: December 09, 2010 03:08PM

Welcome, dapperdan! You are lucky you figured it out so soon? Did you ever believe in Santa, or did you figure that out just as quickly, as well?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.