Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: xcon601 ( )
Date: December 08, 2010 11:35PM

I guess first of all I need to point out that I'm not an ex-Mormon, a current Mormon, and certainly not a potential Mormon. I've got a really good friend on these boards who has pasted me enough things in different conversations that have sparked my interest, and I started investigating the Mormon thought process.

I grew up in a Southern Baptist family that is eerily reminiscent of the TBMs that I read about here. We didn't drink, didn't smoke, didn't go to movies, didn't watch TV much. Our lives centered around the church and the people in it. When I got old enough to leave home, I did.

So after I left I started to run with a pretty rough crowd. I was young, wild, and thought I knew it all. One dumb decision led to another, and as my handle indicates, I wound up in prison serving a ten year sentence for armed robbery. I made it through that experience and came out the other side with a deep interest in all things religious, although I'd long since formulated my own opinions and beliefs.

What I'm catching here is that TSCC is long on rules and short on love. Call me a hippy born twenty years too late, but I really think that love is the highest calling we as humans have. I see that there's some things that TSCC teaches that would be beneficial to a good life, but I also find things like that in the Bible, in the Qua'ran, and in various other writings.

So the more I read here the more I want to get involved somehow, you know? I hate brainwashing, I hate injustice, I hate the manipulation of innocent men, women, and children. I hate seeing people blindly following the crowd like a herd of sheep or a bunch of lemmings about to pile over a cliff. I like you guys because you think for yourselves and if you don't know or can't arrive at a conclusion you ask others around you. You're not scared to analyze things and draw your own conclusions.

Anyway, just wanted to take the second to say "hello" and introduce myself. My email's on record here, but if you can't get it, it's beornmatt@gmail.com. Feel free to use it if I can be of any sort of help.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: vhainya ( )
Date: December 08, 2010 11:36PM

Posted by: utahmonomore ( )
Date: December 08, 2010 11:44PM

Welcome to this site. I know that I didnt use
to think for myself, was to scared of what TSCC would do, like reprimand me, spy on me, etc. It took my family 8 months to deprogram me.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.