Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: imbadash ( )
Date: December 08, 2010 11:33PM

it is kinda of historical book published by the church with all the "Prophets" teachings since JS I think. is it journey of discourses.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: December 09, 2010 12:18AM

You can read throughh all 26 volumes at journalofdiscourses.org

Learn all about Polygamy, the sin of monogamy, Adam-God, Blood Atonement, Shunning unbelievers, racism, and all manner of wickedness from the lords true prophets.

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: December 09, 2010 12:22AM

What is the Journal of Discourses?
"The Journal of Discourses deservedly ranks as one of the standard works of the Church, and every rightminded Saint will certainly welcome with joy every Number as it comes forth from the press as an additional reflector of "the light that shines from Zion's hill." (Journal of Discourses, Preface, Volume 8)
This statement by George Q. Cannon, Apostle of God, sets the scene for what has become regarded by true Gospel scholars as one of the most important sources of doctrinal teaching in this the dispensation of the fullness of times.

President Joseph F. Smith, counsellor to Brigham Young and later Prophet of God, made this statement with reference to the Journal of Discourses:-
"We feel confident that the important instructions on principle and doctrine therein contained, relative to the building of Temples, the salvation of the dead, the introduction of the Order of Enoch, and the general progress and development of the great Latter-day Work, will prove as interesting, gratifying and beneficial to the Saints and to posterity, as those that have been previously published through this medium.
We regret that the circulation of the JOURNAL OF DISCOURSES is so limited. Its importance would warrant a thousand-fold greater extension of this work. We anticipate a time, not distant in the future, when a copy of the present volume will be more precious than gold. It is even now almost impossible to obtain a complete series. Copies should therefore be carefully preserved by all subscribers. (Journal of Discourses, Preface, Volume 18)

What are these Volumes that have been so highly recommended? Who compiled them? If they are so important why are they not well known and used regularly by the general membership of the Church today? Are copies available? If so, where and how can they be obtained?
Hopefully this article will answer these and many other important questions with regards to possibly the greatest, but probably the least read, series of books in Latter-day Saint history!

The Journal of Discourses are a set of 26 volumes, adding up to nearly 10,000 pages of talks that were extemporaneously given. The early Saints felt that it was important that speakers should follow closely the admonition in the scriptures;
"Neither take ye thought beforehand what ye shall say; but treasure up in your minds continually the words of life, and it shall be given you in the very hour that portion that shall be meted unto every man." (D&C 84:85)
This was confirmed by Apostle and future member of the First Presidency, John Henry Smith, when he, acting as editor in charge of the Journal of Discourses, wrote the preface to the 24th volume:
"This, the Twenty-fourth Volume of the JOURNAL OF DISCOURSES, like its predecessors, consists of sermons of Latter-day Saints, extemporaneously delivered and phonographically reported. That those who are privileged with its perusal may profit not only by the letter, but by the spirit also of the utterances herein recorded, is the earnest desire of the publisher." (Journal of Discourses, Preface, Volume 24)

In fact, in the preface to the index, produced and compiled at Brigham Young University in 1959, the statement was made:
"...In most cases it appears that the speakers depended almost entirely upon inspiration from the Holy Ghost, and the subjects discussed were intended for the greatest benefit of the Saints." (Paragraph 2, Preface, Journal of Discourses Index.)
Surely this is an example to us all. I, for one, have never come across anyone that has failed to be impressed by the Spiritual feast that is to be found within these Journals, as they carefully peruse its pages.

The talks contained in the Journal of Discourses were given by over 100 different authorities in the Church, the majority, by Apostles and Prophets of God. The discourses, in the main were given between the years of 1854 and 1886, but some talks that had been given previous to these years were also included, as well as some that were given by the Prophet Joseph Smith.

Some people have stated, without any foundation whatsoever, that the talks reported in the "Journals" were inaccurately recorded and reported. But all the evidence that is available goes to show that those chosen to make a record of the talks, did so in an extremely accurate manner, and had the complete confidence of the leaders of the Church in giving a faithful and reliable record of that which was said.

In fact, Brigham Young once stated:
"I know just as well what to teach this people and just what to say to them and what to do in order to bring them into the celestial kingdom, as I know the road to my office. It is just as plain and easy. The Lord is in our midst. He teaches the people continually. I have never yet preached a sermon and sent it out to the children of men, that they may not call Scripture. Let me have the privilege of correcting a sermon, and it is as good Scripture as they deserve." (Journal of Discourses 13:95)
he also said this:
"I say now, when they are copied and approved by me they are as good scripture as is couched in this Bible, and if you want to read revelation read the sayings of him who knows the mind of God,..."
Obviously, Brigham Young approved and supported the Journal of Discourses and anybody who reads them with the Spirit of God as their guide "will know for themselves, and not for another," that the talks contained therein are truly the word of God to all who have "ears to hear."

"Each successive Volume of these Discourses is a rich mine of wealth, containing gems of great value, and the diligent seeker will find ample reward for his labor. After the fathers and mothers of this generation have made them the study of their lives their children's children will find that they are still unexhausted, and rejoice that this Record has been handed down from their fathers to also aid them in following the way of life.

No one can remain a Saint long, unless he progresses by seeking after the higher knowledge, spirit, and power of those who are set to lead him. A little observation and experience will also satisfy him that he can never fully understand their sayings until he has advanced as far as they have, and sees and comprehends as they do, hence he will ever find their instructions the great fountain from which he must draw the elements of his own progress." (Orson Pratt, Journal of Discourses, Preface, Volume 3.)

Orson Pratt, truly described the "Journals" as a "rich mine of wealth," and encouraged people to read it's pages. Why then are there so few people which do this? It has been estimated that there are only a dozen or so copies in the whole of the British Isles; if they are so important, why is this?
Possibly one of the answers that is given, is the cost element. With 26 Volumes, normally in hardback, the cost for a complete set is normally well over $200.00, and individual copies are few and far between.

But surely, I hear you say, if they are so important, the Church could produce them in large quantities, and have the cost drastically reduced. Well, I'm sure they could, if they had a mind to, but for some reason, the Church leadership have major qualms over the benefit of the "Journals" to the Saints of today, and many leaders of the Church recently, have even expressed that they would not even have a set in their own home, and would be concerned if they knew of members that did! Mark E. Peterson, stated himself that:
"I personally never use them..."
and
"It seems to me that we have so many good books in the Church that are accepted that we could do very well to obtain what we need from the Journal of Discourses from the books that the Church itself has published, such for instance as the Discourses of Brigham Young, prepared by Dr. Widtsoe." (Letter from Mark E. Peterson to Ernest Cook, 30th November 1976, copy in authors possession.)

From what Elder Peterson states, he seems to imply that the "Journal of Discourses" are not accepted by the Church, and that they were not published by the Church at all!! A fact that all informed people know to be false. As a point of interest, the book recommended by Elder Peterson, "The Discourses of Brigham Young" by John A. Widstoe, has much selective editing involved, as well as some of the most vital tenets of the early Church being omitted. There has even been some falsification in the transferring in some of President Young's talks, totally changing the context of what he said!

I think though, that I would agree with Elder Peterson on his first point, that the Church does not, today at least, accept the "Journal of Discourses" as an official organ of Church doctrine, which in some ways is strange, because doctrines or principles cannot change, they are eternal, and those principles and doctrines which leaders of the Church taught 150 or so years ago, should still be true today.

We all understand that the Journals contain items of instruction that were specifically given to benefit the Saints of that day, but there is also much contained therein that should be as beneficial and applicable to the Saints today, as it was back then. Surely that is what Orson Pratt and Joseph F. Smith were saying in the quotations cited above!!

One benefit or blessing of living in this day and age, is the computer, and now, the Journal of Discourses in its entirety is available on computer disc, and enables the user to easily search through all the volumes in a matter of seconds for any reference that they so wish. These discs are cheaper than the books themselves, and are much more easily available. The "Truth Seeker" offices can be contacted with more information as to where these may be obtained. The following quotation shows how the Saints, as well as non-members would have appreciated the facility that we have today.

"We now present the Eighteenth Volume of the JOURNAL OF DISCOURSES to the Saints, and to all lovers of the Truth.
It is impossible to give monetary value to the past volumes of this publication, and the best evidence that they are appreciated, is to be found in the fact that they are sought alike by non-members as well as by members of the Church, and in contrast with many works of greater pretentions, book-stalls are searched in vain for even solitary copies.

Those who read the utterances of the servants of God, contained in this book, under the same influence by which the speakers were inspired, cannot fail to receive profit from the perusal. Therefore, "He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches." (Joseph F. Smith, Journal of Discourses, Preface, Volume 18)

I think also the advice given in the final paragraph of the above statement by Joseph F. Smith is very applicable to all who have an opportunity of reading the "Journals," and should be heeded. Surely then, the promise made by Apostle Albert Carrington will help us in achieving the ultimate goal of exaltation.
"We take great pleasure in presenting to the Saints and the world the Fifteenth Volume of the JOURNAL OF DISCOURSES, which they will find contains rich treasures of information concerning the glorious principles of Eternal Life, as revealed through God's anointed servants in these last days.
All who read the discourses contained in this Volume are earnestly recommended to adapt them to their lives by practice, and we can confidently assure them that, in doing so, they are laying up a store of knowledge that will save and exalt them in the Celestial kingdom." (Journal of Discourses, Preface, Volume 15)

In conclusion, let me encourage all to feast upon the spiritual food contained within these books. Do not let anyone put you off reading the wonderful talks contained therein.
Remember:
"All men can be profited by perusing its pages and pondering over the words of truth and salvation as they flow in beautiful simplicity and power from the mouths of the Living Oracles." (George Q. Cannon, Journal of Discourses. Preface, Volume 9)

The "Journal of Discourses:"
"...ought to prove a valuable acquisition to all those who love the truth, and long for redemption of scattered Israel.The "Journal of Discourses" is a vehicle of doctrine, counsel, and instruction to all people, but especially to the Saints." (Daniel H. Wells, Journal of Discourses, Preface. Volume 10)

"It is replete with good teachings and wise counsels, and it may be read with profit by all lovers of truth." (Albert Carrington, Journal of Discourses. Preface, Volume 17)
(from Truth Seeker (Messenger) Magazine)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.