Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: pharmamarm ( )
Date: December 08, 2010 09:05PM

Today I was chatting with my classmate and I mentioned that my family was mormon but I'm not anymore. She had always assumed I was LDS (lived in UT, things friends on my facebook said to me who don't know I've resigned, etc), and was surprised to hear I was an exmormon. She was like, I know so many people who are exmormons, but I don't know any mormons! (This is on the East coast). So she knew plenty of the LDS church's dirty details. Ha!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Fetal Deity ( )
Date: December 10, 2010 03:39AM

I've read about census surveys from countries where respondents are asked to self-identify in terms of religious affiliation. According to these counts, far fewer than half of those considered "members" by the Mormon church self-identify as Mormon.

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: December 10, 2010 11:15AM

Fetal Deity Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've read about census surveys from countries
> where respondents are asked to self-identify in
> terms of religious affiliation. According to these
> counts, far fewer than half of those considered
> "members" by the Mormon church self-identify as
> Mormon.

See "How many exmormons are there?" at http://packham.n4m.org/morexmos.htm for a summary of that information.

Posted by: mormon411 ( )
Date: December 10, 2010 04:21AM

Even right here in SLC, I run into ex-Mormons all the time. I think everyone would be amazed if they knew exactly how many exmos are running around out there.

Posted by: Zeno Lorea ( )
Date: December 10, 2010 04:32AM

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: December 10, 2010 11:22AM

I live on the east coast, and I don't know any Mormons. I know several ex-Mormons though. Another thing, I knew very few ex-Mormons when I was a Mormon, but they seemed to come out of the woodwork after I left the Church. Hmm. Also, Mormons are so clannish that once you leave their sphere of influence, it's like they don't even exist. That's nice for decent people everywhere.

Posted by: pharmamarm ( )
Date: December 10, 2010 11:29AM

I thought I wouldn't find any mormons once I moved to a new area and didn't go to church, but I was mistaken. I live in an apartment building with like 10 other mormon families- 2 of them live NEXT DOOR to me. But they are cool. I don't have problems with mormons really, just their church.

I agree with Zeno Lorea- we need a coming out day. I'd love to know who is in my area.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.