Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: dude_guy ( )
Date: December 08, 2010 07:20PM

just asking...

who here has never been in the church before?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: December 08, 2010 07:21PM

Sure. I am a nevermo, but I am married to an exmo. There are lots of curious folks who hang out here, some of whom have no affiliation with the church whatsoever.

Posted by: helamonster ( )
Date: December 08, 2010 07:22PM

Don't be afraid to ask questions, just be sure to specify you've never been mormon.

Posted by: They don't want me back ( )
Date: December 08, 2010 07:22PM

one is from a super strict christian fundie group, they're crazy too.

Some have family members who got sucked into Mormonism by marriage.

Date: December 08, 2010 07:32PM

I'm in the early stages of being a candidate for being sucked in, lol.

She knows that I won't convert though, and she wouldn't "go there." Her extended family might, but not her. She's different, lol

My girlfriend is mormon. Was inactive until she was a teenager, so she's been active for 10 years now. Goes to sacrament then digs out to go to work on Sundays.

Date: December 08, 2010 07:33PM

I'm weird in the sense that I don't drink like I'm "supposed to"

Never got into it. Plus I'm afraid I'll turn into Clay Puppington if I ever start drinking.

Posted by: They don't want me back ( )
Date: December 08, 2010 07:44PM

sense of responsibility after marriage or having children.

All of a sudden cult teaching will set in and they revert to wanting the temple covenants and a church setting to raise the children in.

Just sayin, be careful.

I think people have married inactives who had no interest in the Church and then got blindsided by a sudden and new re-commitment to the Church after marriage.

Date: December 08, 2010 07:49PM

I am sleeping with one eye open (so to speak).

It's not really serious yet, and she doesn't want to get married to anyone for at least another few years when she's in her late 20's.

Posted by: anon/Badger John ( )
Date: December 08, 2010 09:59PM

TDWMB: Define "super strict christian fundie group."

Sometimes I think anyone not atheist, anyone not gay, anyone even a little bit orthodox in their Christian faith, is deemed a "super strict christian fundie" by the majority of people that post here...

In sum, Dude_guy, if you are a mainstream Christian, with mainstream orthodox views, do not expect many of the most vocal here to share your views. If you are atheist, etc.,you will have fast friends.

Many ex mos unwittingly carry the mormon thinking around in their head regarding other Christian faiths, while claiming to be completely ex mormon. Frankly, it is a little weird.

Posted by: SilkRose (not logged in) ( )
Date: December 08, 2010 10:22PM

I grew up in the Quiverfull movement (Another cult) Think like TLC's the Duggers. It was an extreme right wing "Independent Fundamental Baptist" group. Even their name says "fundie"....I'm not sure if I am who TDWMB was speaking of, but there are a few of us here.

You might have jumped the gun and to conclusions there. Not everyone is out to assume.

Date: December 09, 2010 10:45AM

Get over yourself.

Posted by: Anon/Badger John ( )
Date: December 09, 2010 01:59PM

I think the one to get over himself is you. Dumb AND obnoxious. As a mormon you must have been insufferable. MonsteR PAIN IN THE THE A$$. Thinking of it gives me heartburn.

Take this test: Can you go a day or maybe even two without posting some IMMATURE drivel? Try it.

Date: December 09, 2010 02:02PM

Then you'll have some cause to call me immature. Until then, just have a big steaming mug of STFU.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: December 09, 2010 02:12PM

Don't call names and don't play with puppets.

Posted by: elee ( )
Date: December 08, 2010 07:26PM

Come on in a sit a spell! Relax and have a beer!

We have many non/never mos here. But all mormons, including ex-mormons, speak their own language. So, yeah, don't be afraid to ask for clarification.

Posted by: BestBBQ ( )
Date: December 08, 2010 08:13PM

I'm a nevermo. I started here in about 1999, had a break in 2004 and came back here early this year. There are and have been loads of nevermos (I still miss kymba).

Posted by: Charley ( )
Date: December 08, 2010 09:17PM

Yup you're welcome here! I'll bet you'll find that some of the jokes go over your head at first though.

Posted by: sonflower ( )
Date: December 08, 2010 09:25PM

I'm a nervermo who has been reading this board for years. I've had a few entries, but mainly been reading out of interest as I've had some experiences with mormonism with neighbors and friends.

Posted by: Serena ( )
Date: December 08, 2010 09:37PM

I'm a Midwesterner - Mos are thin on the ground in Ohio - transplanted to Montana, then Idaho, thankfully northern, where there are fewer than southern, but enough. I couldn't get straight answers from Mormons for the questions I had, and stumbled on this site - eureka! A treasure trove on all things weird - er, make that Mormon.

Posted by: Twinker ( )
Date: December 08, 2010 09:32PM

I know more about the church - the good, the bad, and the ugly than any of the Mormon friends and family I associate with. For me it's an interesting, troubling, laughable, frustrating, heartbreaking situation. I get a lot of comfort reading here.

Posted by: PtLoma ( )
Date: December 08, 2010 09:40PM

I am a NeverMo who began reading this board in 2000 to learn more about the organization and what makes it tick, in order to help someone (successfully) say NO to pressure to go on a mission. Now, I know more about Mormonism than many Mormons I know, but then again they haven't had access to the CHI, and I do. Wink, wink.

I have always been treated kindly and with respect. Sometimes I can add to the conversation by answering questions for Exmos and Inactives on how the real world outside of Mormonism works.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2010 09:41PM by PtLoma.

Posted by: janebond462 ( )
Date: December 08, 2010 09:53PM

I was fascinated by Mormonism - the squeaky clean-living people and the speed with which the church grew in just over a century. I stumbled on this site and WOW, were my eyes opened to the reality of Mormonism and how UN-family-friendly it is.

Posted by: Jerry the Aspousetate ( )
Date: December 08, 2010 10:00PM

I love more nevermos on this board.

I know you know a little about RfM. Would you like to know more?

Rose wine before Vodka.

Are you from one of the Blue-blood pioneer Nevermo families?

Pay Lay Alol

Posted by: utahmonomore ( )
Date: December 08, 2010 10:33PM

Of course you are welcome here.

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: December 09, 2010 01:30AM

I'm just a middle aged grandma with too much time and Aspergian obsessions (and Mormonism is my latest religious obsession). I ended up here while researching Joseph Smith's greatest scam and never left. It was kind of nice to have a group of people who understood when I realized that Christianity doesn't have much more validity than Mormonism too.

Welcome!

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: December 09, 2010 07:45AM

As a never-mormon atheist who has been on this board for a couple of years now, my experience has shown me that YES, we are welcome here.

I first came because I'm interested in religions, from an atheist point of view - trying to understand their attraction, in fact.

Funnily enough, I have never met any mormons in my life, except for ex-Mos on this site.

OK, that's not quite true; I once said "Please leave me and my family alone as we're on holiday" to an English-speaking missionary in PĂ©rigueux, France.

Having lurked here, I think if it happened again, I('d do it differently.

Something like "No, I'm not interested in your Church, but I'd be delighted to buy you a meal"...

Best to lurk a lot before posting though - and NEVER comment on things we don't know about, such as what it's like to BE mormon.

Posted by: Jobim ( )
Date: December 09, 2010 08:35AM

I am a nevermo, and I've been lurking occasionally since 2003. I ended up here while researching masonic rituals. I also used to live right next to a mission house, and talked often to some of the mission presidents and mishies, who were actually very nice neighbors. But at the time I didn't know what was behind all the goodie-goodie attitude... when I found out, I was dumbstruck. Lucky me I never let the mishies "teach" me their discussions. I know a lot about mormonism nowadays, but I never set foot in one of their chapels.

I've seen lots of good general life advice here, and that's the main reason why I still lurk here.

I'm a Spiritist, ergo I'm also a Christian in the broad sense of the term, although we have no clergy, no rituals, and no one telling us what to do.

Stick around, it's fun.

Posted by: michael ( )
Date: December 09, 2010 09:55AM

About the closest I've ever been to a Mormon temple is driving by the one on Santa Monica Blvd. in West Los Angeles. The building was HUGE and the land it was on was even BIGGER.

Now ah's a Jaw-jah boa, living in At-layn-ta, and I've seen missionaries about twice in the nearly 11 years I've been in my apartment. Oh, and I'm Jewish. Nevermo enough? (hehe)

Posted by: me ( )
Date: December 09, 2010 10:06AM

raised in Hancock county Illinois, of Antie stock. (My g'g grandfather is on lists of people who probably were among those who attacked the Carthage jail) Was phobic about examining Mormonism until about ten years ago, when I was told that Mormon perception of and response to my ancestry and cultural heritage contributed to some of the difficulties I have had in my life.

Posted by: spaghetti oh ( )
Date: December 09, 2010 10:26AM

I once was in a relationship with a mormon. That relationship is long gone but my fascination with mormonism lives on.

I enjoy the intelligent convos and the irreverent humour.

BYOB on Friday nights...

Posted by: 3X ( )
Date: December 09, 2010 10:28AM

Of course. The (never mormon) American electorate is especially invited to drop in and learn about the milieu that produced Mr. Fancy Pants*, a certain former North East governor who murmurs "Mr. President" when he looks in the mirror.

* His name shall not be mentioned

Posted by: michael ( )
Date: December 09, 2010 10:45AM

3X Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Of course. The (never mormon) American electorate
> is especially invited to drop in and learn about
> the milieu that produced Mr. Fancy Pants*, a
> certain former North East governor who murmurs
> "Mr. President" when he looks in the mirror.
>
> * His name shall not be mentioned

Voldemort? (hehe)

Posted by: think4u ( )
Date: December 09, 2010 10:40AM

If I could change one and only one thing about my life it would be being born mormon!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.