Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: jan ( )
Date: December 08, 2010 06:46PM

So let me see if I have this right - if one is climbing the TSCC Corporate ladder, he wants to stop at head honcho of the 12. Logic would seem to dictate that the counselors in the FP would be in power positions, but it's the Pres of the 12 who steps up to be Profit, right?

On another note, I just watched part of the 1st Pres Smithmas message - Monsoon looks downright SCARY, like he was put together using parts of other people, sort of like Frankenstein's monster. Shudder.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: December 08, 2010 07:11PM

Technically it's the senior member of the twelve, as indicated by the order of entrance. Remember the senior member may have been removed from the 12 to serve as a pres counselor... so when the pres dies, the two counselors move back to their respective positions. Mormons "in the know" can tell you the order of the 14 beyond the president.

Posted by: PtLoma ( )
Date: December 08, 2010 09:46PM

Yep...Packer is most senior (in terms of years as an apostle, not based on his actual age) of the apostles and would succeed Monson should Monson pass away. From the looks of things, however, I would stand all amazed if Monson didn't outlive Packer. The #2 and #3 in seniority may or may not be in the First Presidency as counselors. Hinckley spent much of his time in the FP (first as a special "additional counselor" because 1st and 2nd counselors were infirm) before becoming President, but there was no specific requirement that he serve in the FP.

Posted by: vhainya ( )
Date: December 08, 2010 10:04PM

The succession is spelled out right in their corporate charter.

http://www.xmission.com/~research/central/chorg3.htm

No inspiration, no divine answers.. Just a corporation running how they are programmed to run.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.