Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Pissed! ( )
Date: December 08, 2010 05:43PM

I'm a Catholic, born and raised, from a predominantly Catholic country in south-east Europe. While I believe in God and always have, in the last 10 years or so I have found myself disillusioned by the Catholic Church for its various wrongdoings and scandals. I've always been a curious person and I love reading and discovering new things, including those concerning religious doctrine. But I've also been raised by intellectual parents to think for myself, which was where the conflict with the Catholic Church came in. I have gay best friends; a childhood friend abused by a priest and an acquaintance that barely makes ends meet and was visited by a priest who indicated her daughter would not be confirmed unless she paid a certain amount of money. Suffice to say, my outraged boiled.

One night I was coming back home after dropping a friend off, after a night out, when I noticed the lovely looking Church that didn't have a cross, I had no idea whose it was. Curious, I stopped the car and ran out to read the sign.

It said The Church of Jesus Christ and Latter Day Saints.

Puzzled, I went home and decided to check them out on the internet the next day, because I'd never heard of them before in my life.

And so I did. Only, silly me, I was naive enough to only check out the official sites that, predictably, paint a very lovely picture. On mormon.org I chatted with a missionary who offered to make a contact with someone on a mission in my country, on my behalf so I would get a chance to chat with someone in person. I accepted. 3 days later I got a phone call from a young man who spoke my language pretty well and was very friendly. He invited me for a discussion. Excited, I accepted.

Next thing I knew, it was Saturday morning and I was in discussion with 2 missionaries and the mission president because they aren't allowed to be alone with a single female. I thought it a bit strange, but I was also raised to respect other peoples religious practices so I didn't think too much of it. They told me a bit of a background, packaged into an interesting story. I'll admit I was skeptical because this was supposed to have happened some 180 years ago. Not to mention the golden plates... But these kids were so convincing. They invited me to come back for a discussion the next day and also extended the invitation for me to come to their Sunday Meeting. Seeing no reason to decline them after spending 2 very comfortable hours with them, I accept both invitations. The next day I met some really nice people and more missionaries, including 2 girls who took me on a tour and took the time to explain all the paintings and such.

I was thrilled.

Long story short, 2 meetings after that Sunday, not even a week after my first visit, they asked me if I wanted to be baptized. I was still in the middle of reading the BoM which baffled me because some parts reminded me of the Bible, others confused me because I'm very good at history and I'd never heard any of it mentioned, anywhere, not to mention that I hardly knew anything about the Church itself except that it was supposed to value family bonds above all else. (I didn't mind the word of wisdom because I don't drink coffee or alcohol because of health issues and I never smoked. No sex until marriage did bother me, but I figured it might not be bad to take a step back after everything that had been going on in my life the past year.)

I asked for a bit more time, but the missionaries and some of the Church members wholeheartedly assured me I was ready, that God himself had sent me to them. In defense of myself, all I can say is I was going through a difficult time. I'd just been through a messy breakup and a very good friend of mine had died not a month before from leukemia. I suppose I was searching for a source of comfort. A bit reluctantly, I agreed. Everyone was overjoyed; they offered help, advice, invited me to various activities... I felt comforted, even though a feeling of unease was churning somewhere deep inside.

We continued meeting every second day and the more I met with them the closer we got. (I still firmly believe that all these people are genuinely nice and kind... albeit misguided.) The baptism was set for November 27th. Suddenly I found myself in a sticky position. They wanted to meet my parents and I hadn't even told them I was exploring my options let alone that I had consented to baptism. I was preparing to tell my family when suddenly my uncle died. We were all crushed.

The baptism was postponed.

After the funeral, I came back for the discussions and they played me some movies, but still weren't telling me anything important. I feel betrayed by this because I was very honest and I told them why I was struggling with the Catholic Church and that I would, under no circumstance join another Church that operated in remotely the same way. (Turns out the Catholics are the Saints...) It didn't sit with me that I wasn't allowed to read D&C before I was baptized. At that point they were already starting to suggest the new dates for baptism but I was firm that, because of my family situation, I needed more time. They agreed. I caught the flu about a week ago. I always suffer from insomnia when I do, so I turned to internet and imagine this... I found this site and many more. The more I read, the more pissed off I became. They NEVER, EVER mentioned anything about polygamy, Joseph Smith's 30 wives, the Curse of Cain, the fact that those not sealed in a temple can't go to celestial kingdom and now of the many, many other things I found out since. The sealing of women to dead men made my blood run cold. I'm scheduled to meet with them tomorrow. I've prepared about 10 pages of my findings with which I plan to confront them and tell them thanks, but HELL NO.

But I have to be honest... I'm a bit nervous, especially after reading some of the stories here. Any advice on how I should approach them and what they might do to try and change my mind? So I'll be ready to respond properly?

Thanks in advance!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Gwylym ( )
Date: December 08, 2010 05:53PM

basically say that after much study and prayer you have decided that it was not for you.

But be ready for them to tell you that you are under Satan's influence etc. Just stick to your guns.

Posted by: utahmonomore ( )
Date: December 08, 2010 05:58PM

They will tell you anything they can to get you to convert. Plese check out 'Utah Lighthouse Ministries'. When I was researching everything I could about the Mormons, I stumbled onto this site here, and the "Utah Lighthouse Ministries" run by Sandra Tanner...She will help you in any way she can, and has done ALOT of research into the whole Mormon scam...don't forget to read all about The Kinderhook plates, and how those came to be. Also, read what Sandra found out about a magic "seers" stone(a magic rock that ol' Joe Smith used to interpet those gold plates). Now c'mon, do you really believe that JS had a magic rock? I guarantee that the Mormons won't give you a magic rock. It is a proven fact that JS also tried to run for the presidency of the USA, and he printed his own money too. Did you also know that Brigham Young's wife #19 quit cause she new he was also a fraud. After Brigham found "zion" the pres of the USA sent troops to Utah cause the Mormons were getting outta control...well, the civil war between the states started, and the troops were recalled. Look at The Mountain Meadows Massacre...Briggy ordered the hit and then blamed all those deaths on the Native Americans.

Date: December 08, 2010 06:04PM

Almost forgot...Their church is like 3 hours long, and IF you get baptised by them then they will find a "calling" for you almost immediately. It would be the Bishop calling you to say "I prayed last nite, and the Lord wants me to give you a "calling/job" within the church". This is usually a demeaning job that consists of nothing but so called "busy work" so that you will not have time to think for yourself and with the way LD$ Inc,. is going, it will most likely be a "calling" to clean toilets, or to clean the church since they can't afford to pay a cleaning service to do it anymore. They tried to give me a calling, and after the first one I told him to his face not to EVER give me a calling again! He pretty much left me alone after that.

Date: December 08, 2010 06:07PM

JSmith was racist as he and Briggy Young said "whitesome is delightsome" in other words they both thought that if white folks "bred" with the Indians then they would get whiter with each generation. What a crock of crapola!

Date: December 08, 2010 06:10PM

A lot of what we here are telling you they will say is "anti mormon", and when the bishop interviews you right before you are baptised he will ask you "Have you seen or been reading ANY anti-mormon literature. He will also ask you if you smoke or drink, commited any crime.. if you are living a Godly life, blah, blah, blah,.

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: December 08, 2010 05:58PM

You don't have to be "in your face" confrontive. Just ask the tough questions like:

1. I understand Joseph Smith practiced polygamy and had a revelation about it that's recorded in Doctrine and Covenants 132. Can you explain what that means for me and you?

2. What is the real meaning of the Book of Abraham and the supposed total mistranslation by Joseph Smith. What am I to make of that?

3. Church records show that polygamy was practiced even after the Manifesto abolishing it. What's the explanation for that?

4. The church taught for years that converted American Indians would become lighter of skin. Why hasn't that happened now that there are two generations of lamanites in the church?

You catch my drift. If you ask in a sincere fashion, they won't come back.

Ron

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: December 08, 2010 07:27PM

As Ron says, do this. However, they will probably become very condescending, telling you that the answers to these things will all come in time if you pray and stuff. They may begin to insult your intelligence. At any rate, they will not answer these questions, mainly, I'm guessing, because they have no idea of the answers. They've never heard this stuff, either. They're just stupid young kids, and may have been goaded into their missions in the first place. Be nice, but stick to your guns. Demand answers. Accuse them of being disingenuous when it gets to that point, because the missionaries have to have this point rubbed in their faces.

Be sure and use church resources, or at least couch your arguments in those terms, quoting LDS leaders and stuff if you can.

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: December 08, 2010 08:37PM

"4. The church taught for years that converted American Indians would become lighter of skin. Why hasn't that happened now that there are two generations of lamanites in the church?"

Only two generations? Some "Lamanites" joined the ldsinc. in the 1830's, more out west joined in the 1850's.

Posted by: What is Wanted ( )
Date: December 08, 2010 06:00PM

check out www.mormonthink.com and utlm.org for answers as well.

Run away! run fast and run far!

They will claim certain things are not important to your salvation and they are correct. It just happens one of those things is mormonism.

Posted by: Primus ( )
Date: December 08, 2010 06:07PM

Except all of it can be confirmed on FAIR or FARMS, the main 'apologetic' groups the church uses to defend all that is bad about it. That's what did my testimony in more than anything. Reading stuff here, and then going over to FAIR, and them confirming that 'Joseph Smith may have done such and such, but it's not as BAD as you think because..."

Wait? You are admitting that he did this stuff, but it's perfectly OKAY? Well it's NOT okay.

Posted by: SpongeBob SquareGarments ( )
Date: December 08, 2010 06:17PM

and will profess their testimonies and say that there are explanations for those things.

Chances are they either don't know the details of those things themselves and will only tell you what they know.

I like Ron's questions. I would learn a little about the Book of Abraham problem and confront them with that as well as maybe the translation process (stone in hat) or whatever you know enough about like polygamy.

They will act like you have incorrect information. I would challenge them to research the issues with you by maybe looking at some critic's websites with you. That's a reasonable request. BUT if they refuse to review the details of the critic's challenges then that means they don't have a good answer to them and you can call them on that.

Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: December 08, 2010 06:22PM

Not one spec of the following is anti-mormon.

Keep it simple and only bring out the big obvious stuff that they failed to tell you.

I will give you one thing.

There is no bigger problem in all of mormon doctrine IMO. I’ll bet my bottom dollar your about to get more from other posters. Here is my number one doctrinal problem.

If in the pre-existence we won the war in heaven and what was won was “free will” (mormons call it “free agency”). Therefore why did god destroy Emma smiths “free agency” as the Lord said he would destroy Emma if she did not accept the practice of polygamy? It doesn’t get any BIGGER a problem that that.

So ask them like this.

Hey missionaries, what was it that we won in the war in heaven?

They will reply, “we chose the lords plan of salvation”.

You will say, “so that was free Agency right?”
They will say “of course”.

Then say, “then I cannot accept D&C 132 where God said he would destroy Emma for not accepting polygamy, why did you not tell me this?”

Nothing they respond with will ever change the fact that GOD DESTROYED HER FREE AGENCY and that is a thing that GOD CANNOT DO. Why?

Because we won the war! Remind the misshies of this very basic fact that they have been taught since they were children. Therefore the scripture in D&C 132 is a lie and contradicts all kinds of other scripture.

So what I’m trying to teach you is that any doctrine that takes away anyone’s free agency, especially by force is a lie NO MATTER HOW YOU SLICE IT!

Who won the War? We won the War. Can god take away our free agency? Never! Why? Because we won the War! Even Mormon wiki states that God cannot take away our agency. (guess they forgot about D&C 132.) Why? Because we won the War!

What this means my friend is that if you join you will be told that you have free agency but you had better make the “pre-approved” choices. As D&C132 so boldly proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that you don’t have any such thing inside the church. The church is totalitarian all the way, their way.

So who won the War? We won the War! What did we win? Free Agency! Can God take it away? No he cannot! Say it over and over till you get it ingrained in your brain.

If you learn nothing else you learn this one thing and you’ll be just fine. LEARN THIS ONE THING!

So say it with me. Who won the War? We won ………………………

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2010 06:26PM by AmIDarkNow?.

Date: December 08, 2010 06:26PM

Thanks everyone. I'm glued to my pc and avidly going through all the sites you recommended. Just one thing... What war in heaven? They never mentioned this and I've found no reference to it... yet.

Date: December 08, 2010 06:31PM

Before we came to earth there was a war in heaven to decide Satans plan/Jesus plan. Satan was to force us to be good. Jesus wanted us to decide for ourselves. There was a war. Jesus won so god chose Jesus plan of letting us decide for ourselves ie free will/agency. They know this well. It is basic doctrine to all members.

Date: December 08, 2010 06:27PM

I almost forgot to mention that ol Joe Smith was in the Freemasons but he was kicked out for being a shady character. So ole Joe stole the Freemasons ideas and then used them in his secret(oops, I mean sacred) temple rituals...also check out what You Tube says about Mormon temple rituals. That will really open your eyes. It did me!

Posted by: Gwylym ( )
Date: December 08, 2010 06:27PM

Date: December 08, 2010 06:51PM

The theology of the pre-existence and marriage in heaven and the three degrees of glory, all of it, plagiarized from Emanuel Swedenborg and his book “A Treatise Concerning Heaven and Hell” and not “revealed” by Joseph Smith.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2010 07:15PM by AmIDarkNow?.

Date: December 08, 2010 06:34PM

Hey there, don't be in such a hurry to join a church. That will happen in time. We here are just trying to save you the headaches and heartaches we all went through. Just research it first. Best wishes.

Date: December 08, 2010 06:39PM

It's my own fault that I let myself be so manipulated. I am smarter than this, I swear. Thing is, they used my emotional state and pressured me. I'm not joining them or anyone else. I'll stay Catholic and believe what I believed so far.

I just need to get out of this mess first.

Posted by: elee ( )
Date: December 08, 2010 06:45PM

Pissed! Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It's my own fault that I let myself be so
> manipulated. I am smarter than this, I swear.
> Thing is, they used my emotional state and
> pressured me. I'm not joining them or anyone else.
> I'll stay Catholic and believe what I believed so
> far.
>

Don't be too hard on yourself, Pissed. The Missionaries are trained to operate this way. Pushing you to make commitments after a short period of time, without time to study it and think about it.

http://www.lds4u.com/Discussions/discussions.htm

You've been played. But those youngsters were trained to play you just like this. The fact that there's been emotional trauma in your recent history just makes you an easier target.

You will get out of this, but you're just going to have to stick to your guns on this one.

Posted by: Smokey ( )
Date: December 08, 2010 07:08PM

As a missionary, I felt very uncomfortable that we had to (yes, we had no choice) basically pressure people into committing to baptism before they really knew ANYTHING about the church, really. All they knew by the 2nd discussion is the Joseph Smith story. Most who agreed to baptism did not even know that baptism really meant joining the Mormon church. They just agreed to be baptized because they thought that was how they could best follow Christ. I felt like this was unethical.

I came home a year early because I just could not do it anymore.

Pissed, you don't have to be mean or anything but you absolutely do need to set very firm boundaries. Remember that you are really just talking to two VERY NAIVE young men who don't KNOW much of anything except that there is now way in hell they will ever talk a Mormon girl into marrying them if they do not do this stupid mission thing. My advice is to not rush anything. Force them to accept that you need some time to educate yourself in order to make a well-informed decision (because they not only won't, but can't do it.

I was born and raised Mormon and am now 37. I was teaching Sunday School just 9 months ago when I finally figured it out. When I asked to be released there was an investigator (what the missionaries refer to you as) in my class. I told him that it was all I could to do keep from screaming to him "GOOGLE IS YOUR FRIEND, MAN!" The Bishop told me that I did not need to do that because it was well expected that potential converts these days absolutely WILL do such research before they join. Wether or not that is true (and I think it is not), be aware that once you join it will be considered a sin to read anything that does not promote your faith in the Mormon Church.

Be strong...look out for you! Absolutely nobody else in your situation will be looking out for your ability to make the most informed decision you can. They will try to make it all about your feelings and encourage you to ignore the facts (which they naively claim are just lies of the Devil).

Date: December 08, 2010 07:26PM

I don't know if anyone has said this, but be aware they it is almost certain that you now know more about these problems than they do. It is considered a sin to read material that critisizes the church so there is almost no way they will have heard about any of these problems.

As such, they will definitely deny that they are problems and assume that you are mistaken, mislead, your sources are bad, biased, etc.They will use any kind of excuse they need to in order for them to avoid feeling the cognitive dissonance associated with beginning to suspect that the way you see the world is not correct.

A true believer will never allow themselves to really investigate these problems. And once they do, their beliefs change. Even if they still beleive in Mormonism, they will never be that naive again.

Date: December 08, 2010 07:34PM

For me, there was a trifecta of testimony killers. They probably won't know about any of this.

1. First Vision The first vision strongly appears to be a product of evolved story telling. There are at least 7 very different versions of the first vision; particularly troublesome is that fact that the version in Joseph's own hand writing is nothing like the official version we use today regarding critical factors that the Church is built on. In that version, Joseph was not visited by two beings, only “The Lord”. There is no mention of setting up a new church. The stated purpose of the prayer is to seek forgiveness for his sins rather than identify which church is true. Gordon B. Hinckley said that it must either be all true or all false. What choice does that leave someone who has done even the smallest amount of homework on the issue? To such a person, there can be no question that it is definitely not ALL true. At the very least, what church members were taught was true at one time was no longer true just a few years later as church leaders evolved the story into something far different than the humble personal forgiveness story it began as. Incidentally, these types of personal forgiveness experiences with the Lord were quite common in early 19th century New England.

2. Book of Abraham (important because it shows that Joseph Smith was making stuff up): Joseph Smith's translation of the scrolls of the Book of Abraham has been undisputedly and repeatedly proven to NOT BE what the scrolls actually say by multiple independent experts who all agree on what the scrolls DO say (they are part of a funeral text for a man named Hor). Apologists argue that Joseph may have been using the scrolls to “channel” an unrelated revelation for the Book of Abraham. This claim is contrary to what Joseph said he was doing. He said he was translating the literal writing of the very prophet Abraham (written in his own hand). Not only does the translation not match up, the actual scrolls are 700-1500 years too recent to have been written by Abraham. Moreover, the textual content of the Book of Abraham is easily contradicted by known history and cultural understanding of the peoples supposedly referenced therein. For instance, Abraham claims that his fathers came from the land of the Chaldeans. At the time that Abraham could have been writing, Chaldea would not even exist as a civilization for another 700-900 years. Even more troublesome is that the contents are clearly based on 19th century Eurocentric ideology (the erroneous claim in facsimile 3 that the black God Anubis is a slave of the Prince, for instance). Exercising the principles of Occam’s Razor yields an argument too powerful to be ignored concerning the fact that the Book of Mormon and the Book of Abraham were purportedly translated from Egyptian based languages prior to the discovery of the Rosetta stone (before anyone in the modern world had any knowledge of how to translate Egyptian hieroglyphics).

3. Book of Mormon (severity 10): Contrary to the claims of Elder Holland , there is a huge amount of very strong evidence that the Book of Mormon is not an actual historical document. Adding to this problem is the absence of evidence that absolutely should exist supporting it. Contrary to Mormon lore and the LDS tourism industry, there is NO credible evidence that any of the peoples in the Book of Mormon ever existed. There is NO non-LDS scientist who believes that they existed. The book is filled with textual and historical anachronisms that cannot be explained. Anachronisms are a primary indicator that historical experts look for to indicate that a given document is a forgery. A couple of easy examples: 1) As early as the 4th verse in the book, Nephi makes a claim that is chronologically impossible. He claims that in the 1st year of the reign of king Zeddekiah, Lehi had a vision that there would be an invasion and forced exile. The slightest bit of historical research reveals that by the time King Zeddekiah was crowned, the invasion and exile had already taken place. 2) The Book of Mormon quotes huge sections of the King James Bible word for word. Joseph Smith’s translation of these sections also carries forth known errors where the King James translators missed the actual meaning of the Greek texts from which they were translating. Not only is it improbable that Early American Prophets would have written in such a way that it translated EXACTLY as the King James version (remember that the greek documents did not exist yet, so they were not quoting from those), if the translation was a “tight” translation as claimed, Joseph’s translation should have avoided making the same errors. 3) Christ makes cultural references during his sermon at the temple that are copied word-fro-word from the sermon on the mount in the New Testament. The problem is that part of the copied text is exclusively relevant to Jewish-Roman relations and would have made absolutely no sense to the Nephites (such as going two miles with someone who compells you to walk a mile with him). For the best place to start on this problem, read the works of BH Roberts, an early 20th century General Authority. His very relevant questions remain unanswered almost 100 years later. Apologists say “God is testing our faith”. I ask why he did not need to do this with the evidence of the civilizations in the Bible? Moreover, why would God make his gospel so incredibly hard to believe? Why would any loving parent do that with the only way back to them?

These two websites gave me more information about mormonism than I learned in 37 years.

http://mormonthink.com/
http://20truths.info/

Posted by: Red Puppy ( )
Date: December 08, 2010 07:08PM

Yeah don't beat yourself up about it. I was a missionary for ~4 weeks less than a year ago, and I can tell you that we were taught to commit people to baptism ASAP. During one of the practice lessons with an investigator, we were pressured to invite the investigator to be baptised during our very first lesson/meeting with them. Then we were praised because we got him to say yes. Our basic lesson plan was "Hey we're LDS. Jesus taught baptism. Will you be baptised into our church? Why not? Jesus said you should. Are you going to disobey Jesus?"

But I can tell you, just bring up *any* of the controversal issues and you will have them beat. Looking back now, I can say that I knew nothing about the church. Mention how Joseph Smith translated by putting his face in a hat, and you'll have them beat. Ask them why he had ~33 wives, took wives from happily married people, and married 14 year olds, and you'll have them beat. Ask why the BoA's translation doesn't hold up to modern Egyptologists (is that a word?).

We were taught to always fall back on our testimony if something like that came up, because they are the "strongest" thing. Who needs facts when you have emotions?

But don't be too hard on them unless you really are upset with them.

Date: December 08, 2010 07:14PM

That's the thing. I really like these kids. I think they are genuinely nice, just like most of other people I met in the Church. My problem isn't with them, it's with the doctrine. Truth be told, I feel sorry for the missionaries, they don't seem to know much of anything. I'll continue to be honest and firm, but I really don't relish the fact that I might be even slightly unkind to them. The very thought breaks my heart. But I will not be pushed into something like this.

Posted by: elee ( )
Date: December 08, 2010 07:23PM

Pissed! Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That's the thing. I really like these kids. I
> think they are genuinely nice, just like most of
> other people I met in the Church. My problem isn't
> with them, it's with the doctrine. Truth be told,
> I feel sorry for the missionaries, they don't seem
> to know much of anything. I'll continue to be
> honest and firm, but I really don't relish the
> fact that I might be even slightly unkind to them.
> The very thought breaks my heart."

And that's the paradox. I have absolutely no doubt these kids are sincere in their own belief, and sincerely believe what they are offering you is redemption. No doubt in my mind.

What stands on the opposite side of personal faith, however, is the push by church administrators to baptize as many people as possible. For them, this is a game of numbers. Pure and simple. The techniques used to train the missionaries are reflective of this drive to dunk folks.

So, yes. They are sincere. They are under enormous pressure to baptize as many people as possible. And they are made to feel worthless and unworthy if their numbers don't meet projections.

But be that as it may, you are dead on here: "But I will not
> be pushed into something like this."

This should be your "daily affirmation" to yourself. :)

Best of luck,

Erin

Posted by: Understandably Pissed!! ( )
Date: December 08, 2010 07:14PM

I understand the feelings that you must be going through, I went through them after living my whole life in Mormonism and serving a mission myself.

One thing to remember, they probably are genuinely nice people who are just trying to do the right thing. They are being mislead just as much as you are, they may know more but they are in an environment where they aren't even allowed full access to the internet or time to even consider that what they are doing isn't right. Despite that caveat, it isn't right that they should be trying to convince people to join a church they know nothing about. There is a guide called Preach My Gospel which is available online here:

http://lds.org/library/display/0,4945,8057-1-4424-1,00.html

This is the book missionaries are told to study every day. They aren't allowed to read the newspaper or supposed to look at other books outside the missionary library which only consists of a very few church books. You will probably recognize the lessons that they have had with you in this book. They will find it very difficult to sustain teaching you for too long since they are only supposed to teach from these chapters. So you will probably start to find they will repeat these chapters.

They are supposed to teach you these 3 lessons including the commandments in the 4th lesson and some of those as separate lessons, then they will try to have you baptised by the point they have finished. They don't want a long consideration of what the Church actually is, how its organization functions or its actual history. They want a baptism based on these presentations.

I can understand why it would be particularly crushing since you were willing to admit the flaws of Catholicism and your problems with it. Do not expect them to be willing to make the same admissions of guilt or error in the LDS Church's history since they are probably ignorant of many of them or placing their own issues on the shelf as the Church instructs.

If you want a good idea of how they will respond to your questions and issues turn to Chapter 5 of Preach My Gospel on page 108-109 with the title "Use the Book of Mormon to Respond to Objections" Which can be found here:

http://lds.org/languages/additionalmanuals/preachgospel/PreachMyGospel___12_05_BookOfMormon__36617_eng_012.pdf

Their response to any question that you may have will be that you should pray about the Book of Mormon and ask God if it is true. They will promise if you do that then you will receive an answer from God that it is true. Then they will say this will be an adequate response to your issues since if God has said it is okay, then it must be right. They will then "bear testimony" which will consist of them saying that they "know" it is true, because God has told them that it is true. They view this as a trump card which means that all other information is irrelevant.

Other responses that you are likely to get:

i) They may try to answer your question usually using scriptures to answer.

ii) They could respond by saying that all the facts aren't available on those topics with usually a line like "we just don't know everything about that".

iii) They might try to say that the historical issues are irrelevant since they aren't practised today.

iv) They may say that information from sources other than "official" LDS church sources are incorrect and full of lies. They may use a line similar to "if you want to know about a mercedez you don't ask their competitors, in the same way if you want to know about the mormon church you should ask a mormon not "anti-mormon" material.

v)It is possible they may try to guilt you into committing to the baptism. One apostle of the Church (Jeffrey Holland) suggested in a broadcast that Missionaries should "throw a fit" (his words) if investigators stop fulfilling commitments.

vi) It is very likely, (I'd say almost 100%) that the missionaries and ward members who were your "friends" will not be interested in talking to you any more after making your choice. It is very unlikely your friendship will survive. Their friendship in a lot of cases is based on conditional love on the expectation that you would become a mormon. It's sometimes described as lovebombing by critics.

If I was in your position I would target the issues they know least about themselves and then I would say that based on everything you have learned from them and the other information you have found out about you have reconsidered your decision. That the facts appear to be against the LDS Church being true.

1) The Change from Monotheism to Polytheism - In other words the move away from the trinity. This particularly relates to the First Vision since it changed over time and also the changes Joseph Smith made in the Book of Mormon in changing Jesus from being "the Eternal Father" into "the Son of the Eternal Father"

2) Joseph Smith's Polygamy - The main issues I would raise with them are the 11 women who were married to living husbands which is called polyandry, the young ages (some adopted daughters) and the fact he sent men on missions in order to have access to some of the women (their wives and daughters for instance). Another issue is that it was secret and that Church members were lied to by Joseph Smith about the practice.

3) The Temple Rituals - That elements were copied lifted from Freemasonry. That some of these masonic elements were removed in 1990 in response to a poll of Church members about what they didn't like about the ceremony for example the Death Penalties. The Second Anointing is a big issue - you can ask them if they have ever heard of it and it is likely they haven't. It is a secret ritual that a large number of members don't even know exists. It guarantees a couple that receive it Exaltation (the mormon word for real salvation) in the next life. It is only given to an elite group within mormonism. The Mission President might have received it.

4) Black People and the Priesthood - That Joseph Smith gave black people the priesthood for example a Seventy called Elijah Abel. It was Brigham Young who refused to allow Elijah Abel through the Temple and denied black people the priesthood because of his racism and that racist policy continued until long after the Civil Rights movement. Instead of showing inspiration they proved to be behind the times.

5) The Secrecy and lack of disclosure. Joseph Smith lying about polygamy and the 1890 declaration lying about polygamy finishing are good examples. Then the fact that members aren't told the truth about a number of issues raised above and that if a member asks questions or doesn't agree with their responses they are denigrated for it. Also that investigators aren't told the whole truth.

I would then conclude in honesty about how you feel. About the hurt that you feel and that you trusted them to be honest about the Church with you in the same way that you were honest about the flaws in your Church and that you expected the same level of integrity and honesty from them.

I will go into more detail on each of these issues if I can before you meet them. I hope this helps and sorry for the hurt I imagine this caused. I'm just glad that you managed to find out before your baptism. I wish you the best, and would be interested to hear how it goes. So please post back with the follow up on what happened.

Posted by: Understandably Pissed!! ( )
Date: December 08, 2010 08:17PM

This link is in direct response to the comments that you made below, watch this youtube video of the current Prophet of Mormonism encouraging Missionaries on how to find new converts and read the quotes and then re-read your comments. Pissed you don't need to say anything in your defence. My father was also going through a rough patch when they found him :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kFBB3Am6eI

Here are some quotes from Preach My Gospel

"Encourage them to visit acquaintances who have recently experienced a life-changing event (birth,death in the family,marriage or recently moved)."
Preach My Gospel Page 162 Chapter 9 Finding People

http://lds.org/languages/additionalmanuals/preachgospel/PreachMyGospel___16_09_FindPeople__36617_eng_016.pdf

"Visit people who are experiencing changes in their lives, such as marriages, births, or deaths."
Preach My Gospel Page 220 Chapter 13 How Do I Work with Stake and Ward Leaders?

http://lds.org/languages/additionalmanuals/preachgospel/PreachMyGospel___20_13_StakeAndWardLeaders__36617_eng_020.pdf

Now re-read the descriptions that you gave of your circumstances. The truth is you were both emotionally vulnerable but thanks to the internet and the information available you luckily weren't taken advantage of.

"I asked for a bit more time, but the missionaries and some of the Church members wholeheartedly assured me I was ready, that God himself had sent me to them. In defense of myself, all I can say is I was going through a difficult time. I'd just been through a messy breakup and a very good friend of mine had died not a month before from leukemia. I suppose I was searching for a source of comfort. A bit reluctantly, I agreed. Everyone was overjoyed; they offered help, advice, invited me to various activities... I felt comforted, even though a feeling of unease was churning somewhere deep inside." - Pissed!

"I started investigating after my mother died and it all sounded beautiful, but once I started asking questions it came apart fast. I did check back online with the missionaries, after I received a mountain of information, still wanting to believe. But when I pressed for answers, they basically verified everything. Mind you, it was long, hard work on my part to get an answer." - Cecily

The fact that you both did not join, is a credit to your parents and to your own intellect. I think the Mormons are going to have ever increasing problems retaining members and getting new people to join. There is just too much information available.

I hope this makes you both feel better. I'm from the UK by the way so I'm a European too. :D

Date: December 08, 2010 07:22PM

I'm meeting them tomorrow evening, well evening European time. I thank you all once again; this has been tremendously helpful, especially understandably pissed! I will definitely use some of what you have written.

Date: December 08, 2010 07:23PM

And I will tell you what happens next, of course!

Posted by: Cecily ( )
Date: December 08, 2010 07:33PM

Northern Europe, but the same issues with the Catholic church, very similar story investigating Mormonism, only I never let the missionaries come over, because I didn't feel comfortable with that just yet. I also had some small, niggling issues that just didn't sit right with me, and the way the online missionaries evaded my questions, rather giving me straightforward answers reinforced that.

I started investigating after my mother died and it all sounded beautiful, but once I started asking questions it came apart fast. I did check back online with the missionaries, after I received a mountain of information, still wanting to believe. But when I pressed for answers, they basically verified everything. Mind you, it was long, hard work on my part to get an answer.

Here's one for you, in case you don't have enough material already, which I doubt: Ask about the Heavenly Mother. I was raised a Catholic as well, the Holy Virgin was always very important, and there is a vague concept of the Heavenly Mother floating around in the LDS, which I found intriguing. When I asked for references about her, thinking I'd get sciptures. I received the text of a hymn, and ended up thinking : "well, that's a bit like me proving the existence of 'Penny Lane" by quoting the Beatles' song, rather than showing me a map."

Posted by: Summer ( )
Date: December 08, 2010 07:37PM

...why Joseph Smith married the wives of eleven living men. ( http://wivesofjosephsmith.org/ ) Did he not feel that these men deserved eternal companions? Why did he marry two 14 year-olds? (...in an era where the average age of first marriage was over 20. And no, there was no shortage of eligible men for them to marry. This is a myth.) Why did he marry, and impregnate, a young girl who had been living in his house under his protection and as his ward? (Fanny Alger, see: http://wivesofjosephsmith.org/02-FannyAlger.htm)

Most of Joseph Smith's marriages are validated by official church sources.

Ask them to define the word "adulturer" to you. Then ask them to define "pedophile." Look them in the eye and ask them if Joseph Smith meets the definition of both words. Then ask them why any self-respecting woman (or man, for that matter,) should accept this scoundrel as a prophet.

Posted by: Summer ( )
Date: December 08, 2010 07:55PM

...how Joseph Smith translated MOST of the Book of Mormon. The following article by Russell M. Nelson was published in the Ensign Magazine:

http://library.lds.org/nxt/gateway.dll/Magazines/Ensign/1993.htm/ensign%20july%201993.htm/a%20treasured%20testament.htm

Print out the article and highlight the relevant parts about how Joseph put his head in a hat containing a seer stone.

Hand them a hat and a stone and ask them to demonstrate for you how the BoM was translated.

Show them this picture from lds.org.

http://lds.org/gospellibrary/artbook/images/ArtBook__092_092__JosephSmithTranslatingBookOfMormon_Sm___.jpg

Ask them, why is this picture the one that the Mormon church chooses to share as the truth of how the plates were translated? ...as opposed to this picture:

http://www.imagesoftherestoration.org/blog/wp-content/nggallery/Mormon%20Art/jstranslatingbom.jpg

Or this picture: http://www.irr.org/mit/images/joseph-stone-sm-sh.gif

Why is the Mormon church not truthful about this? What exactly is the church ashamed of, and why?

Posted by: kak ( )
Date: December 08, 2010 09:14PM

You might find these two links interesting as written by a descendant of Fanny Alger in which the person said that Fanny was a member of a Universalist church after her time with the Smiths and that her family did not think Fanny was ever married to Joseph Smith:

http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/WAYNE_IN/1997-03/0858710806

http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/ALGER/2003-03/1046830466

Posted by: kak ( )
Date: December 08, 2010 09:43PM

Further note--there's is more to Fanny Alger than I ever knew!

Fanny Alger was a descendant of the famous Hancock family (ex. John Hancock, signer of the Declaration of Independence) and was related to the Mormon Hancock families in Utah. She was also descended from the Adams family from which two U.S. Presidents came from.

This link is about her grandmother, one of whose daughters was Fanny's mother, Clarissa Hancock Alger:
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=29568185

Fanny's mother, Clarissa Hancock Alger:
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=11499659

Fanny's father, Samuel Alger:
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=107789

More on her Hancock family:
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=9330918
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=25600716

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.