Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: dk ( )
Date: May 23, 2012 05:07AM

As a member, never wore them and never looked for them.

Mormons may ask why others make fun of their "magic" underwear. Maybe it's because mormons themselves try to see if other members are wearing them.

I've seen the explanation that garments are to remind the wearers of the covenants they made in the temple. Seems to me they are to let others know, I'm a worthy member of the club.

How does a garment differ from wearing an undershirt?

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: May 23, 2012 09:35AM

Posted by: Whiskey_Tango ( )
Date: May 23, 2012 10:56AM

Garments: God love'em.....

I think the major reason that they are different than an "undershirt" is that they automatically establish you as a Mormon...No other thing that I know of can automatically identify you to another Mormon than a garment line.

I always check for a garment line when I meet someone. Old habits die hard. It is an instant way to "size somebody up".

Once, i bought the top that looks like a regular t-shirt..People automatically assumed I was not Mormon or not wearing garments..It was an interesting experience. I did not wear garments long (i never could stand them) but the cultural habit of identifying someone is deeply ingrained.

I know alot of Mormons that display them proudly so that their status is well defined...

Watch a Utah politician...They will make damn sure they wear a Mr. Mac suit with the obvious garment top visible under a white shirt. They may never say they are Mormon but do they really need too?

Posted by: davesnothere ( )
Date: May 23, 2012 11:13AM

Some people are professional “busy buddies”

The garment check/feel-up kind of reminds me of Junior High PE when “The Coach” use to pull surprise jock strap inspections……OK men…Drop those Shorts!

Date: May 23, 2012 11:30AM

I never had one of those...Sure your PE "coach" isn't on a sex offender web site somewhere????

Posted by: davesnothere ( )
Date: May 23, 2012 01:03PM

Consider yourself lucky.....times have certainly changed….back in the day and I'm talking late 1960's when I was in Junior High jock straps were considered a part of your PE uniform if you were a "guy".

You lost "points" on your class grade if you showed up without a complete uniform on any given day...and yes the "coach" would pull jock strap inspections. You lost "points" if you got caught wearing you tighty-whities instead of your jock strap.

Back then school also required mandatory showers every day as a part of PE class. Everyone was required to strip, pick up your towel for the day and then shower together in large open communal shower areas. Made you think of the Army or prison.

Maybe that’s why it didn’t seem so strange getting naked for the initiatory in the temple the first time through. After surviving PE at that young age going through the temple seemed like a piece of cake

Date: May 23, 2012 01:18PM

Amazing...LOL

Posted by: eternal1 ( )
Date: May 23, 2012 01:51PM

It was the same for me during the early 70's. I don't think they do that anymore.

Posted by: Bamboozled ( )
Date: February 14, 2017 04:04PM

Mid 70's. Everyone lined up on a line in the gym and the coach would walk down the line and pull back the back side of our shorts to see if we were wearing jock straps. Some guys beat the system by wearing their jocks over their underwear.

And showers were mandatory.

Posted by: ParkerSamuel ( )
Date: February 13, 2017 04:54PM

I have had the undergarment inspection before but it was rare since i wore my dreas shirt unbuttoned and garment visible. Worse was jock cup check on contact sport days. The coach would line us up for cup checks. When he was busy an upper classman would just knock lightly on our crotches. The coach,when he did the inspections was creepily thorough. Squeezing down below or outright depantsing us. He spent too much time on our boy parts.
Thankfully that is decades in the past. We couldn't say anything cause he was also a deacon but it gave me the creeps.

Posted by: runtu ( )
Date: May 23, 2012 11:35AM

After I "lost my testimony," I got felt up for garments a couple of times. I told my wife about it because I thought it was hilarious rather than offensive. She told me I was imagining things.

Then someone did it to me in front of her, and she said, "That guy felt you up for garments, didn't he?"

It happens to me from time to time.

Posted by: bert ( )
Date: May 23, 2012 11:47AM

In Utah. If you are qualified for a particular job. And if you get an interview. The best way to ensure a second interview is to wear a thin t-shirt with a v-neck cut in the front. This has to be a cheap t-shirt so that all the seams show through and are visible through the dress shirt you are wearing. This should be done if you are applying for work with a known Mormon employer. Otherwise the second interview is iffy at best.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: May 23, 2012 12:26PM

I never wore them.....never had a reason to go to the temple....and anybody who thinks it's their "calling" to be a garmie checker...is a complete fucking moron....and you can tell them I said so...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2012 12:26PM by Lethbridge Reprobate.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: May 23, 2012 12:35PM

OH GAG... there were usually members that just had to do the: Garment Feel Up! While I was thinking how friendly they were, giving me a nice little sideways hug, it finally dawned on me the woman and men were checking to see if I was wearing my regulation skivvies!

I always had a conflict in my mind that if the members were so righteous, why were so many wearing clothing that showed off the garment. I have seen thousands of pieces of lace sticking out of the blouse or female women -- etc.
Ridiculous. Not me!

I probably got the Garment Feel Up more often because I wore clothing that did NOT show off the garment!

Finally I ditched the whole bag of them. I had no use for regulation skivvies!!

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: May 23, 2012 01:56PM

The last time I saw the sp he was doing the garmie feel up with me in the foyer. I loudly told him to not touch me.
All conversations stopped. It got silent.
I walked out the door laughing.

Date: May 23, 2012 09:07PM

Way to go, MIA.....maybe a slap would have been in order?

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: May 24, 2012 12:55AM

What he didn't know....I was wearing them. I always wore suits and dark colored shirts so he couldn't tell. He's a crazy wack job.

Date: May 24, 2012 02:26PM

Not that it was ever an issue for me as a non-recommend holder but if someone ever tried to check my JC Penney's they woulda been a hurtin' unit shortly thereafter....

Posted by: lbenni ( )
Date: May 23, 2012 02:26PM

one could just wear a tank top and short shorts if you are a woman

Posted by: waner ( )
Date: May 24, 2012 12:27AM

dk Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How does a garment differ from wearing an
> undershirt?

It really doesn't. But people like to see that you're part of the same fraternit...err church as they are. They see the "celestial smile" under shirt and they know they have a partner in crime...or brother.

Hated those garments from the moment I first wore them. I tried to find ways to not wear them. Sad I didn't have the balls to just take them off until a year after my mission. Hate that I let the Phoney Church have that kind of power over me that I let them control what underwear I wore.

And those garments are the most unattractive articles of clothing. If I see a girl wearing them, it instantly kills any attraction I had.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: May 24, 2012 01:02AM

It's all so ridiculous. If your kindergartener came home from school and announced that he'd only be friends with kids who wore Spiderman or Batman underwear, you'd think it was odd. If he insisted that superhero underwear made you a better person, you'd laugh but wonder where he got such a silly idea. If he went around checking the other kids UnderRoos to see for himself if those kids were worth being friends with, you'd have him in therapy.

I had no idea people even did the garment feel-up until I left. I would have been appalled if I'd known.

Date: May 24, 2012 02:25AM

Thanks for the laugh CA Girl. Checking for batman underwear. I'm still laughing.

Mormons will insist that garments are similar to other religious clothing. But most of the clothing they site are worn on the outside where it can be seen, and most can be bought online without the need of a barcoded religious recommend.

Dark clothing of the appropriate length would not let a person know if you were wearing garments or not. Feeling people up to see what type of underwear they have on is just plain wrong and creepy.

It's so like mormonism. Garments are private but members feel you up to see if you're wearing them. Mormons respect other religions and don't talk bad about them. Wasn't the first vision and the founding of mormonism about denouncing all other religions? And how is dead-dunking NOT disrespectful of someone's religion or beliefs?

Next time I see any discussing about mormon garments, I'm stealing CA Girl's line about batman underwear.

Posted by: liminal state ( )
Date: May 24, 2012 03:19AM

Is that what the shoulder rub is for? I always thought it was a unique friendly Utah greeting like kissing cheeks is in parts of Europe. Had no idea it was a social class pat-down.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2012 10:42PM by happyexmormon.

Posted by: schmendrick ( )
Date: May 24, 2012 03:29AM

It occurs to me reading some of this that Mormons are really uncomfortable with the idea of an abstract spirituality. Regulation garments? That's not just a symbol "like other religions," that's a relic. Even the claim about priesthood authority as something that must be preserved - as something that could be lost and not regained without ghosts - is a need for something concrete.

Secret passwords to get into heaven? Under the supervision of a supposedly all knowing God... who has a physical body by the way.

Are there good counterpoints to this observation? I'm genuinely curious; this thought just occurred to me and I wonder how accurate it might be.

Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: February 13, 2017 05:19PM

My wife is a good obedient TBM who wouldn't be caught dead without her garments underneath whatever she wears on top.

Meanwhile, I'm your basic sinful spawn-of-Satan apostate exmo horndog.

Occasionally I'll trap her next to the fridge or beside her sewing machine and give her the ol' spontaneous garment verification body search. She thinks I just want to feel her up but actually it's for her own good.

Posted by: 3X ( )
Date: February 13, 2017 08:19PM

It's the LDS equivalent of two ants rubbing antennae together:

"I'm from the tribe, are you from the tribe?"

Posted by: numbersRus ( )
Date: February 14, 2017 06:04PM

Posted by: focidave ( )
Date: February 13, 2017 08:37PM

It's so weird how obsessed Mormons are with trying to see or feel each other's underwear. Like a bunch of ten-year-old boys. It's really hard to break out of that mindset.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: February 13, 2017 08:50PM

The old joke is . . .

Q: What does a politician do when he's behind in the polls in Utah?

A: Wear thinner shirts.

Posted by: jstone ( )
Date: February 13, 2017 09:33PM

Garment check, I'm still doin' it. Last time was at a wedding. Younger women can't wear even knee length skirts without showing to those who know as soon as they sit down. Hey, don't judge I was just confirming who is still properly stuck in the cult in my greater family. Well that's my story anyway.

Posted by: bluebutterfly ( )
Date: February 14, 2017 12:49PM

I surreptitiously check for garment lines on women so I know who to avoid making friends with. lol At this point in my life, I'd rather not make any new friends that are TBM. During my son's preschool drop-off last week one of the other moms gave me a look of recognition and asked where she knew me from. I didn't recognize her at all, but my first thought was oh great is she a TBM that somehow knows me? So I checked for obvious garment lines and realized she was wearing a tank top under her sweater. Probably not a TBM. :-)

Posted by: focidave ( )
Date: February 14, 2017 05:32PM

I try really hard to not check cause I think it's kind of pervy to try and figure out what kind of underwear someone is wearing. So it's always relieving when someone is wearing a tank top.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.