Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: saviorself ( )
Date: December 08, 2010 01:22PM

A few questions:

Is paying a full tithe a requirement for a job at the Church and BYU?

Does the Church verify that an applicant is a full tithe payer, say by asking for copies of past income tax returns?

Is tithing automatically deducted from gross pay before the employees receives the paycheck?

If a long term church employee were to stop paying tithing, would that employee be fired/sacked?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: utahmonomore ( )
Date: December 08, 2010 01:24PM

I knew a guy that worked at COB, and he had to pay a full tithe.

Posted by: helamonster ( )
Date: December 08, 2010 01:25PM

So, yes, they'd have to be full tithe-payers, too.

As to your other questions, I don't know.

Posted by: Demon of Kolob ( )
Date: December 08, 2010 01:46PM

Having spent sometime working in the ivory tower in SLC I shall answer as 13 years ago

A few questions:

Is paying a full tithe a requirement for a job at the Church and BYU?
Yes

Does the Church verify that an applicant is a full tithe payer, say by asking for copies of past income tax returns?

Yes , verification is by having a letter from your bishop ,the bishop could require tax returns if he wished to.

Is tithing automatically deducted from gross pay before the employees receives the paycheck?

No, it paid to the local Bishop , you give the church a letter from the Bishop every year that you are a full tithe payer

If a long term church employee were to stop paying tithing, would that employee be fired/sacked?

Yes

Posted by: topojoejoe ( )
Date: December 08, 2010 06:57PM

Demon of Kolob Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Having spent sometime working in the ivory tower
> in SLC I shall answer as 13 years ago
>
> A few questions:
>
> Is paying a full tithe a requirement for a job at
> the Church and BYU?
> Yes
>
> Does the Church verify that an applicant is a full
> tithe payer, say by asking for copies of past
> income tax returns?
>
> Yes , verification is by having a letter from your
> bishop ,the bishop could require tax returns if he
> wished to.
>
> Is tithing automatically deducted from gross pay
> before the employees receives the paycheck?
>
> No, it paid to the local Bishop , you give the
> church a letter from the Bishop every year that
> you are a full tithe payer
>
> If a long term church employee were to stop paying
> tithing, would that employee be fired/sacked?
>
> Yes

so I have already asked this on another thread, if people are getting paid, this is obviously a church owned organization but not a charity - so here it is again: How is this legal????

How are people allowed to be fired and no one is suing their A$$??? How? I am only asking because I actually know of people who left the church and were fired/let go. Or were requested to provide proof of income by bishops (one poster mentioned he was never asked, however, the common member is not asked, but if you happen to work for a church company, you are required to provide proof you are paying a full tithing, so your bishop will ask before giving you a letter to send to work).

Again, how is any of it legal? Do they not abide by the labour laws? I live in Canada, so there really isn't many church employers here, however, I have a lot of SLC relatives and they certainly have been employed (and fired) by the church, due to either not paying a full tithing, or leaving the church.

I don't understand how no one is asking if this is even legal?

Any comments please? I would like to know.

Posted by: anonow ( )
Date: December 08, 2010 01:50PM

I know of no Bishop who has ever asked for tax returns from a member to prove he is a full tithe payer.
Has anyone else seen this done?

Posted by: Demon of Kolob ( )
Date: December 08, 2010 01:59PM

I have heard of few stories were a bishop demanded to see tax returns , this was the event that caused the person to leave the church job and the the church. There was an former institute teacher was had this experience he spoke at the exmo conference years ago.

Posted by: ken ( )
Date: December 08, 2010 03:47PM

I was the guy who spoke in the Exmo conference a few years ago and began my topic (Lying for the Lord) by recounting how a stake president demanded that I bring in my paycheck stubs so he and my bishop could determine how much I should pay. They suspected that I was not paying enough. He did not ask to see my tax returns. His first counselor was my colleague in CES, and my other CES colleague was the first counselor in the student stake presidency; so the stake president knew first hand from those guys, and from the tithing lists that all stake presidents have how much we "made and paid." I guess he figured I should be paying a lot more, based on the donations of my two CES friends. I was less faithful and assume that I gave less (I paid on my net income).

At the time I was a full time Church Education System Insitute Director at the Pullman, Washington Institute of Religion, adjacent to Washington State University. I had been appointed to that position just a month or two before.

I protested that kind of treatment but to no avail, though I quoted the Handbook of Instructions to him (the dumbass stake president) about tithing. In fact, he added a new wrinkle; that from then on, when I drove on a weekend to visit my aged parents about 3 hours away and spent the weekend with them, I would be required to attend the full slate of meetings, at a ward nearby, and report back to him. He or the bishop would call the ward bishop of the ward I said I attended, to verify my attendance. He said this would restore trust and confidence in my character.

I walked out the door of my office after that meeting determined to quit the cult. And I did. My wife was delighted beyond anything you can imagine.

Though the cult ruined my resume after 27 years of full time CES professional life, quitting that day was one of the best decisions I've ever made financially, intellectually, mentally, and it improved our family life immensely.

Problems with discussions about tithing or anything else always assume that the leaders are bound to follow the church handbook of instructions. Though many try to do that, I know from 27 years in CES, having served as a bishop myself and one many high councils and bishoprics, that when a "loose cannon" wants to put the screws to someone as a personal vendetta, there is usually no appeal for the regular member. There is no appelate system. Leaders are largely unaccountable.

The problem isn't that "in every barrel there are a few bad apples." That's a crock of sh_t. the problem is the problems with the Mormon Church are systemic.

ken

Posted by: SpongeBob SquareGarments ( )
Date: December 08, 2010 06:21PM

I remember you telling me that story Ken. Unbelievable. thanks for sharing with the board.

Posted by: saviorself ( )
Date: December 08, 2010 05:23PM

I have a relative who works for the Cult and he isn't doing very well financially. So I have been wondering if he could cut back on or stop paying tithing and still keep his job. Sounds like the answer is NO.

Posted by: anon ( )
Date: December 08, 2010 05:35PM

I used to work at BYU-Idaho (adjunct instructor) and was never personally asked by anyone if I paid tithing nor was it deducted from my paycheck. But I know that someone, not sure who, probably human resources, would call the bishop to verify that each employee was in good standing and had a current temple recommend. No one ever asked me directly if I was worthy but each year they would send a reminder that it was time to get our "endorsement" much like the students have to do. If I recall (it's been 5 years since I worked there) we also had to sign the endorsement. So, it's indirect but yes, you have to be a full tithe payer. And, if you were not "worthy" you could be fired.

Posted by: anonow ( )
Date: December 08, 2010 05:36PM

Normally he would go to the Bishop and hopefully get help as needed for other things so he could continue to pay tithing and keep his job.

Posted by: FreeRose ( )
Date: December 08, 2010 06:13PM

OMG! What a friggin CULT! Working for TSCC is like working for the Gestapo!

Rant over. My heart really goes out to the poor fooled people still stuck on the mouse wheel of the cult. Just a sad way to live one's life without freedom of thought or choice.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: December 08, 2010 06:30PM

Not only do they have to pay tithing, but most church jobs pay less than similar jobs elsewhere. Oh, but I forgot, they get extra special blessings in return.

Posted by: drilldoc ( )
Date: December 08, 2010 06:47PM

that tithing should be given happily. He said he wouldn't want a nickel from you if you were giving it grudgingly. Tithing was not 10% either. I was just a donation of any kind. Whatever you felt like giving as long as you did it cheerfully.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.