Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Cali Sally ( )
Date: December 07, 2010 04:14PM

Just saw your post about LTP and it made my day too! I once spoke with him at a dinner for G. Hinkley. He was standing in a doorway (I was sure surprised at how tall he was) about 12 years ago. I saw my opportunity and asked him how the G.A.'s expected the sisters of the church who work for CES to ever get married, as we were often admonished, if CES never hires any single men. That was as far as I went and he didn't answer me. Just looked ticked off and kept standing there. What I would have given to have said what you said. But back then I still worked for CES and had a testimony.

Bravo. Your input here has answered one of my nagging questions about what the G.A.s discuss regarding these sort of issues.

And much congratulations for having the guts to leave Mormonism when it meant losing so much. I had the benefit of a non-LDS background and most of my family non-LDS. And I was still slow to make the brake. Your courage is commendable.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: think4u ( )
Date: December 07, 2010 09:27PM

Thanks for the kind words Cali Sally. Your story is very interesting too, how they just NEVER have any answers. I am so glad for you that you got a new job and out from under their control. I had no idea single men could not work for CES. Why exactly was that the policy, do you know or can you guess? Why single women, but not single men?

I know single older men cannot serve missions for the church, while older single sisters are very welcomed to. My mom married a guy in her older years, JUST because he was dying to go on a mission and his wife had died and they would not let him. Is that not sad? Maybe they just think single men are hornier than single women and will cause more trouble??

Most of the young missies are obviously single men- I just find it very odd.
Please tell me what you know if anything about these policies, and again thanks.

Posted by: Cali Sally ( )
Date: December 08, 2010 08:02PM

Well, it's not really cut and dry. There are exceptions like when someone is really old, disabled, or has a developmental disorder and has a lot to do with for what position they are applying . But for the most part, I've been told they don't want mature males around impressionable young girls (I worked for Ricks College) and taking advantage of them sexually. The G.A.s (or as I like to call them the board of directors) are of the generation or maybe just the mindset that believes all single men pretty much have nothing on their mind but sex, which may be true, and cannot restrain themselves so they must be prevented from ever being placed in that situation and likely embarrassing God's true church.

I worked with a man in my student days who lost his job as a seminary teacher because his wife divorced him. He had done nothing improper in regard to the divorce. His wife just left him. But CES will not let single men be seminary teachers. He was not only devastated by the divorce but then he lost his job through no fault of his own !! When he got remarried they hired him back. CES seldom hires single women as seminary teachers because they are to set the example for young womanhood of being mothers and wives. However, I've seen a few exceptions.

Another single, male, classmate of mine tried for a teaching job at BYU. He was sure he would get it because the other candidates were so lame. I asked if any of them were married and he said that only one of the other candidates was married but he was the lamest of the bunch. Guess who got the BYU job? Yep. Mr. "Lamest of them all" and he knew he would get it too.

I think that single women are hired by BYU and BYU-I as teachers because by the time they get their PhD's/masters they are seen a confirmed spinsters and are not likely to intice the young men students. They also know that there are far too many women in TSCC compared to men. They would lose an awful lot of cheap labor for LDS Inc. if they refused to hire worthy LDS women. And they would also, undoubtedly, have to hire non-LDS teachers and staff if they only hired married men.

Now understand, I've never been told any of this as official church policy but it all seemed pretty obvious.

Posted by: think4u ( )
Date: December 08, 2010 08:30PM

Thank you, that is all very interesting. It sounds like they do not want any of the single men doing what married JS did to young single women, time and time again.

I also find it interesting to note that BYU hires single adult women. Like you said, if they did not they would lose not only a lot of cheap labor, but a lot of good tithing money as well! Thanks for the insight.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.