Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: emma ( )
Date: December 07, 2010 01:23PM

I found out about advent yesterday oddly enough while watching playhouse disney with my daughter. It seems like a good way to rememeber christ during the holiday season and I can't see why it would be offensive to lds inc. I asked my tbm husband and he had never heard of advent either.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Gwylym ( )
Date: December 07, 2010 01:26PM

Because they aren't really Christian but are Josephites?

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: December 07, 2010 01:27PM

They live a perverted version of Christianity.

Posted by: helamonster ( )
Date: December 07, 2010 01:28PM

And considering mormonism's views of the "Great and Abominable Whore", it's a small wonder the morg never observed Advent.

Posted by: Observer ( )
Date: December 07, 2010 01:28PM

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: July 21, 2013 12:34AM

And many protestants do. It is not exclusively Catholic

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: December 07, 2010 01:59PM

So today all my kids, even the TBMs, celebrate Advent at home with the lighting of the candles and everything. However, we always did have to explain it to people like home teachers whenever they'd see our wreath and candles. Of course, they'd stare blankly after the explanation. I still remain flummoxed that most Mormons are quite unfamiliar with most Christian traditions. Most are even dismissive of them.

Posted by: Major Bidamon ( )
Date: December 07, 2010 02:07PM

We've always celebrated Advent since living in Europe years ago. It's a great way to celebrate!

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: December 07, 2010 06:49PM

I think Advent is a nice tradition, and I've had TBM's including my ex-husband give me a blank look when I mentioned it. Just like their reactions about churches having Christmas services when Christmas doesn't fall on Sunday.

Posted by: emma ( )
Date: December 07, 2010 06:52PM

Quick question. When you light the candles do they stay lighted continuously until advent is over or just for the sunday when they are lit? I hope that makes sense

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: December 07, 2010 07:21PM

Posted by: anonow ( )
Date: December 07, 2010 07:24PM

The way I understand it on the fourth sunday before christmas one candle is lit just for a period of time on that day; on the second sunday two candles are lit; etc. until all 4 are lit the Sunday before christmas.

Posted by: nwmcare ( )
Date: December 07, 2010 09:14PM

It works like this:
On the first Sunday of Advent, you gather around the wreath and light the first lavendar candle and have your devotions, then extinguish the candle. If you have devotions each night, you light the candle only during the devotions and extinguish it when you finish.

On the second Sunday, you light two lavender candles.

On the third Sunday, three lavender candles.

On the fourth Sunday, you light all three lavender candles and the pink one--this is known as 'Gaudete Sunday', or Joy Sunday, beause the birth of Christ is eminent.

On Christmas Eve and/or Christmas Day, all four candles are lit as well as the white pillar candle (known as the Christ candle) in the center of the wreath are lit.

For devotions: you are free to do whatever prayers you wish for the holiday season. If you wish to follow the Liturgical Readings, find a NAB or NSRV Bible that has the cycle of readings in the index--it will tell you what cycle for what year (the deal is there are three cycles: A, B, or C. If you were to go to church that uses a formal Liturgy every Sunday for 3 years, you would hear about 65 % of the Bible --90% of the Gospels read). You just read the scripture for that day.

FYI: Symbolism of the Advent Wreath
Lavender stands for Penance--sort of getting your life in order so you can 'receive' Christ
Pink: Joy
Wreath: is round and made of evergreen: God is eternal (Alpha and Omega--no beginning and no end) and His love is unending
White Pillar: Christ candle: white for purity--red ribbon tied around it to symbolize His blood, shed for us--in the center as He should be the center of our lives.
Purple ribbons are often used to decorate the outside of the wreath--same as lavender.

Hope this helps! Merry Christmas!

Posted by: hoo ( )
Date: December 07, 2010 11:07PM

I'm pretty sure the pink candle is lit 3rd.

Posted by: laluna ( )
Date: December 08, 2010 11:59AM

yep, pink candle is lit third

Posted by: Misfit ( )
Date: December 07, 2010 07:06PM

I had never heard of it until my mission in Protestant Germany. And I was not raised in the church.

Posted by: James ( )
Date: December 07, 2010 07:15PM

It's not just the Mormons. There are other Christian religions that don't celebrate Advent, I was raised Baptist, and they never did anything for Advent.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: December 07, 2010 07:19PM

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2010 08:02PM by steve benson.

Posted by: anonow ( )
Date: December 07, 2010 07:19PM

I was in a european mission and liked the advent tradition of lighting the candles each sunday, etc. We still do it at our house every christmas.

Posted by: ExMorgbot ( )
Date: December 07, 2010 07:28PM

I didn't know that anyone other than Catholics/Lutherans celebrated Advent. No on in our non-denominational church does. I don't think my Baptist in-laws do either.

I have to admit it is a pretty cool observance. My Catholic coworker explained Advent to me this year, and I probably seemed like a dunce because I asked so many questions.

Posted by: kestrafinn (not logged in) ( )
Date: December 08, 2010 12:27PM

I grew up Episcopalian. We had an advent wreath at home, and I remember making them as a Sunday School art project at church as an activity to help teach us the prayers and symbolism.

Posted by: BestBBQ ( )
Date: December 07, 2010 07:32PM

I've never been Mormon for even a fraction of a second, but I think the reason why Mormons don't celebrate Advent is because of their belief that the church went into apostasy very early on, therefore anything after that - the development of the Christian calendar, for example - is not of God/Christ/etc.

Btw, I was raised United Methodist and Advent was a big deal.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2010 07:33PM by BestBBQ.

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: December 07, 2010 07:33PM

Posted by: BestBBQ ( )
Date: December 07, 2010 07:39PM

Advent is the four weeks leading up to Christmas. Each Sunday a candle (purple) is lit in an Advent wreath. On Christmas day the center candle (always white) is lit. It's just a way to mark the weeks before Christmas or the advent of Christ. Little kids have Advent calendars where a little door is opened every day with a little treat (small toy or candy) inside.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advent for more info.

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: December 07, 2010 07:43PM

Posted by: helamonster ( )
Date: December 07, 2010 07:47PM

Then keep that in mind when you read the 4 Gospels. Astonishing the similarities between catholicism and judaism, when they are supposedly completely different faiths...

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: December 07, 2010 07:52PM

I've seen plenty of advent wreaths with all white candles. I think it just depends on your particular tradition. We always followed the German one, and it is usually four red candles with no white in the middle. It's just whatever floats your boat. Mormon or not, my kids were adamant about the Sundays of Advent, and looked forward to lighting the next candle, Christmas music, some kind of biscuits or cake (an Italian panettone or pandoro--generally available at TJMaxx--is tops on the favorites list) with some kind of cocoa. Then we'd watch a favorite Christmas movie like "Christmas Story" or "A Child's Christmas in Wales." In our house it was kind of a programmed way of leading up to Christmas. We also liked to extend Christmas by doing a small gift-giving on St. Nicolas (Dec 6 , putting out shoes the night before that got filled with candy and a small gift) and Epiphany (Jan 6, last day of Christmas). Christmas goes a long way if you're willing to follow non-Mormon observations.

Why don't Mormons put their shoes out on Dec 22 (Smithmas Eve), or do something similar?

Posted by: Summer ( )
Date: December 07, 2010 10:02PM

Every day you open one of those little doors or windows, and out pops a treat. Perfection. If you have kids at home, definitely get one! It's a nice way to count down to Christmas.

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: December 08, 2010 01:17AM

I always tried to find calendars for the kids. I usually had to go to some kind of esoteric or import store, though. Some seasons I never found them. But, yes, the kids were always excited each day to open a new window.

Posted by: Major Bidamon ( )
Date: December 08, 2010 10:17AM

The playmobil (german) advent calendars rock. Each Kid has a set. First thing every morning, a box opens up and a playmobil figure is placed on the holiday mini-stage that comes with the set.

Posted by: そんじりです ( )
Date: July 21, 2013 12:19AM

Advent wreaths in general are Catholic. Protestant churches just took that idea of Advent wreaths from the Catholic Church. Christmas is a big thing in Europe (especially in both Catholic and Protestant Germany where playmobils are made) so Advent wreaths are just kinda a European thing also.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: December 07, 2010 08:20PM

I love the concept of Advent. It's a time of reflection and celebration but also fun. It helps me to slow down and be more in the moment than usual in this time of the holiday season, leading into the penultimate observances, whoever observes whatever, when, and why.

I think the idea can be well adapted for any beliefs, religious of any faith, secular, or even a mixed crowd. The kids in my family enjoy the Advent calendar (chocolates are involved!), for some of the adults it's a time to enjoy their faith, for others the emphasis is on the holiday season, but everyone enjoys the different feel to this month of the year and the opportunities to visit with family and friends, have a few extra days off work, as well as working together on various season-related activities (such as reaching out in the community to help others have reason to celebrate too). It's a great way to finish off one year and look forward to the next. I think everyone can relate to that and enjoy the various themes together.

For Advent in the MB (Protestant, EV) church I attended they use white candles in a large candle-holder laid out on a beautiful, decorated table at the front of the sanctuary. One candle is lit in a little ceremony (music, prayer, scripture, poem, pastoral thought) at the beginning of each Sunday service. It remains lighted throughout the service. Next Sunday, two candles are lit and so on right up to the Christmas Eve service and again on Christmas Day. The symbolism can be whatever each individual finds meaningful for them.

Happy Advent y'all!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2010 08:23PM by Nightingale.

Posted by: Kentish ( )
Date: December 07, 2010 08:30PM

...baptist churches that celebrated advent. Since baptist churches, certainly in the largest grouping, Southern Baptist, are all independent it can vary from church to church. Many other churches I am familiar with also celebrate the custom.

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: December 07, 2010 09:35PM

Growing up in a heavily infested area, we never learned about things like Advent. I also never knew that Easter was celebrated for a few weeks.

What I did know (or was taught) was that the churches had no concept ogf the true meaning of these important holidays. But to my amazement, that was bass ackward. Mormonism has no idea about these holidays- Christmas is not to celebrate Joes birthday, nor is Easter the day for General Conference and/or Fast & testimony.

Posted by: Johnny Canuck ( )
Date: December 07, 2010 09:36PM

The Alliance Church I attend is celebrating Advent with candles etc but I suspect it was not part of their tradition as the pastor had to explain what is was about when they lit the first one two weeks ago.

Anglicans as I recall are very much into advent, and it was always celebrated in the military chapels I attended from time to time.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: December 07, 2010 10:51PM

Since Mormons only pay lip service to Christmas, it is no wonder they don't celebate Advent. They also barely celebrate Easter, They have never heard of Holy Week, Good Friday, Palm Sunday or Lent.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2010 11:08PM by bona dea.

Posted by: kookoo4kokaubeam ( )
Date: December 08, 2010 10:16AM

My mother was a convert and had been raised Methodist so she always had an advent candle during the holidays. To me it was just a countdown to Christmas - the meaning of Advent was completely foreign to me until I lived in England.

Actually I think Advent is pretty cool - a way to keep Christ centered through the holiday - if thats your thing.

Posted by: maeve ( )
Date: December 08, 2010 10:59AM

I doubt the Mormons would ever incorporate the Advent wreath into their services. Isn't there some sort of directive against lighting candles in the chapel? I remember being told that candles at church was way too Catholic. They weren't even allowed in the Relief Society room.

Posted by: Thread killer ( )
Date: December 08, 2010 11:16AM

:-)

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: December 08, 2010 12:26PM

Posted by: squeebee ( )
Date: July 21, 2013 12:27AM

Worst chocolate ever, but I loved it!

Posted by: woodsmoke ( )
Date: July 21, 2013 12:37AM

The same reason they run from crosses like vampires. Cause they ain't no Christians.

Posted by: rationalguy ( )
Date: July 21, 2013 12:39AM

Having been nothing but a Mormon, I don't even know what that is.
Having skipped right from Mormonism to atheism, I don't care, either!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2013 12:40AM by rationalguy.

Posted by: wolfunderfire ( )
Date: July 21, 2013 01:08AM

They dont celebrate Lent either which just astounded me when i was investigating the church. A church with out Lent???
So please tell me.
Are Mormons Christians or are they not ? do they THINK they are? I am still confused and traumatized from my whole "investigator" experience.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.