Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Socrates2 ( )
Date: May 13, 2012 10:53AM

a full anular, solar eclipse. This means that the moon will directly cross the face of the sun but the moon is too far away, and therefore too small, to entirely block the sun so there will be a thin ring of sun still showing. "Annular" means ring. Anyway, the path of the eclipse will cross over St. George almost directly and my wife and I will be taking our three kids down to see it. It will be late in the day on Sunday, May 20.

Anyone in St. George want to hook up at Starbucks that morning?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ipo ( )
Date: May 13, 2012 11:19PM

Posted by: druid ( )
Date: May 14, 2012 01:22AM

Here is one as we will see it from Northern AZ. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_eclipse_of_May_20,_2012

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: May 14, 2012 12:04PM

I may be in Mesa that day. Will I be able to see it?

ANa

Posted by: enoughenoch19 ( )
Date: May 14, 2012 03:22AM

There will probably be a revelation which cancels it. Sunday's are not good for that kind of thing, especially since it is scientific.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: May 14, 2012 09:17AM

St. Georgians get an eclipse of the sun?! Really?! Don't these normally happen in a far-off, unreachable place like Bumfuck, Egypt? Generally we have to take the word of the media that the eclipse happened because it can only be viewed from a point between two remote villages in inner-most Mali or something.

Posted by: sgc ( )
Date: May 15, 2012 01:02PM

I live in St. George. I thought the eclipse had already happened. I got to work at 5:00 am one day last week and everyone was talking about how extraordinary the moon looked that morning. Really huge and with what looked like a ring around it. Someone checked out the internet to see if they could find out why the spectacular display and got the info.

Posted by: onendagus ( )
Date: May 14, 2012 10:58AM

There is talk of this on postmo too. Some people are meeting for lunch at the MMM site on Saturday.

Posted by: PeacePrincess ( )
Date: May 14, 2012 10:25PM

I remember watching a lunar eclipse not too long ago in Western Arizona in the late winter, almost spring. I can't quite remember exactly which year, but I think it was maybe 2007 or 2008. I got some good video of it, not time-lapsed though that would have been awesome.

It seems I'm going to have to make a pilgrimage over to Southwestern Utah; what a shame it's not going to pass over Southern California.

Posted by: NLUC ( )
Date: May 15, 2012 02:42PM

Headed up to Page, AZ with the wife and kids.

Date: May 15, 2012 05:38PM

Okay, the Onendagus family is officially going to the MMM site for a little hike, picnic and lunar eclipse watching on Sunday. Love to meet-up with any other exmos!

Posted by: PeacePrincess ( )
Date: May 19, 2012 02:31PM

Alright, I think I'm in! As a vehicle transporter, I was just given an assignment to deliver a small cargo van over to the North Salt Lake area on this coming Monday. And looking at my map, I found the Massacre Site not too far off my planned route.

It looks like I can make it there by late afternoon on Sunday at the earliest. So, about what time do you think the moon will cross the sun's path over the Massacre Site?

Date: May 19, 2012 09:54PM

I think 7:30 pm mountain time is the 'ring of fire'. Email me at mebacougar@gmail.com if you want to meet up!

I won't have internet access we head out on Sunday. Text would work.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.