Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: jolene ( )
Date: December 07, 2010 10:45AM

How did Joseph Smith not make this list??

http://www.cracked.com/article_18885_5-people-who-started-religions-just-to-get-laid.html

Maybe he didn't start the Mormon church to get laid, but why did he start it then? I am pretty new in my studies of actual, real Mormon history, but it seems to me that it started as one of Joseph's lies that just got out of control. What do you think his real intentions were?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: vhainya ( )
Date: December 07, 2010 11:24AM

I don't think he started it to get laid. I think he started it for money and power. The marriages came after as a solution to justify his affairs.

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: December 07, 2010 12:15PM

using his seer stone, and charging his neighbors for the privilege.

Religion was just one more con job. He wasn't much on farm work and he didn't have the discipline to sit through classes to go to school.

I think he became a sex addict like Tiger Woods when the opportunities starting presenting themselves.

But looking at that article, I don't know why he isn't there. They included others like him.

Posted by: DNA ( )
Date: December 07, 2010 12:22PM

I agree, he was just looking for a way to make money that didn't involve physical labor and was easier.

I think he was going to write a book and sell it, and accidentally became a prophet when he found out, "Holy shit, people are believing me!" And then he just rolled with it; and like a Ponzi scheme, it started out small and just kept getting bigger until he was in too deep to stop.

Women dig money and power. I don't think he started out trying to get chicks, but when the money and power came he figured out soon enough that chicks dig it.

At that point his whole life was all about what he could get, with what he had to offer.

Posted by: Apatheist ( )
Date: December 07, 2010 01:13PM

Fame might have been another motivation.

Posted by: jolene ( )
Date: December 07, 2010 02:02PM

Thanks for all of the responses on this! I am still brainwashed enough to think of things in the wrong order, but I am working on getting it straight. 14 year-old farm boy has vision, later receives plates and translates BOM. I have read a few threads here about the book being written and him wanting to profit from it. It's hard to think of a 14 year old farm boy having ambitions of wealth, power, or lust. I guess that's why the "official" church history puts the events in that order. :)

Posted by: sisterexmo ( )
Date: December 07, 2010 02:13PM

He was an adult when he told people that he had various visits from supernatural beings as a young lad - including later on: Jesus and God.

"Farm boy" conjures up the idea of someone milking cows and stacking hay. This particular boy was into money-digging and conning people into thinking he was seeing treasure using a special rock in his hat. He even ended up in court due to those non-bucolic activities.

Seems that is was the family business in the Smith household, but Joseph had the gift of plausability - something all good con men need to have.

Posted by: 3X ( )
Date: December 09, 2010 10:22AM

re: "someone milking cows and stacking hay"

We can rest assured that Mr. Smith had little experience with that, or any other honest labor. The idea that this unremarkable social parasite was in any way "admirable", let alone made of "prophetic" stuff is laughable, in an obscene way.

(I _have_ milked cows and stacked hay ...)

{fixed spelling}

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/2010 10:24AM by 3X.

Posted by: Nina ( )
Date: December 07, 2010 03:18PM

Check out the various cults. Almost ALL of their leaders make rules on members sex-lives, and most of them reserve the 'right' to sleep with them, married or not. It's not just a mormon thing but all about power. Once ou are able to control the most intimate aspects in a person's live,everything else just follows.

Posted by: Zeezromp ( )
Date: December 07, 2010 04:44PM

Handy revelations for Joseph Smith.

Got himself a house built.

D&C 41 : 7 And again, it is meet that my servant Joseph Smith, Jun., should have a house built, in which to live and translate.

Food and rainment too and whatever else he needs!

D&C 43:13 And again, I say unto you, that if ye desire the mysteries of the kingdom, provide for him food and raiment, and whatsoever thing he needeth to accomplish the work wherewith I have commanded him;

No need for him to work either.

D&C 24: 9 And in temporal labors thou shalt not have strength, for this is not thy calling. Attend to thy calling and thou shalt have wherewith to magnify thine office, and to expound all scriptures, and continue in laying on of the hands and confirming the churches.

A boarding house (some kind of hotel?) I think he got a liquor license for this enterprise

D&C 124:56 And now I say unto you, as pertaining to my boarding ahouse which I have commanded you to build for the boarding of strangers, let it be built unto my name, and let my name be named upon it, and let my servant Joseph and his house have place therein, from generation to generation.

And an endless supply of women.

D&C132:62 And if he have ten virgins given unto him by this law, he cannot commit adultery, for they belong to him, and they are given unto him; therefore is he justified.

And collect his followers wives as he went along too.

Posted by: happycat ( )
Date: December 09, 2010 09:56AM

What no Raelian Space Sex God? Who's theologly specifically says to have Space sex. (Sensual meditation). Who's idea of charity is to restore clitorial sensation back to women's vaginas?

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: December 09, 2010 10:27AM

happycat Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What no Raelian Space Sex God? Who's theologly
> specifically says to have Space sex. (Sensual
> meditation). Who's idea of charity is to restore
> clitorial sensation back to women's vaginas?

You sure about that? I think it was Betty Friedan in 1966.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.