Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anon4this ( )
Date: May 08, 2012 10:47AM

My TBM ex is being the nutjob she is and denying me parenting time for the summer because my child has LDS camp. Yep, camp is more important than time with the father. Furthermore, she has screwed up the kids, causing them to fail in school and more.

I will probably have to fight with a court legal representative for the kids to determine best interest. Which means, likely, a mormon social worker/lawyer will decide the case.

I need to fight hard and get the kids out of there. Help!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Ponti ( )
Date: May 08, 2012 11:36AM

Date: May 08, 2012 03:19PM

Yes, except she was clever and she raised her dispute with so little time before summer, such that I don't have a chance of getting this heard before the summer is over. I won't get my child this time.

Posted by: anon for this ( )
Date: May 08, 2012 01:18PM

get referrals if the attorney has the initials BH

just sayin....

Date: May 09, 2012 10:15AM

Posted by: Craig ( )
Date: May 09, 2012 12:56PM

I have experience with an attorney who has always done a great job for me. I had a partner in business a few years ago and this guy was a piece of work for sure, but this attorney got him visitation rights even though he was an ex-con for drug dealing. His name is Jere Reneer and he is listed under Reneer and Associates.

Posted by: DNA ( )
Date: May 09, 2012 01:08PM

My ex used Marilyn Moody Brown. My divorce cost a lot, and I had something pending in court for two years. I went through three custody evaluations. All because of the bitch of an ex and because of Marilyn Moody Brown.

That might have been a recommendation, other than I ended up winning in the end. She was a Bull Dog for sure though.

Posted by: anon this time ( )
Date: May 09, 2012 02:44PM

You will get good and bad references depending on who you talk to. Also, it matters on some of them whether you're the TBM or the exmo, but that probably makes more of a difference when it comes to judges, and trust me, some of those judges in that district place a lot of bearing on that even though they claim that isn't true.

So whoever you pick, see if you can get some references from someone who was in a similar situation--the father, an exmo, the Plaintiff, etc.

Brent Young is also someone you might want to check out. But again, you'll get good and bad refs about him. Hey, they all win some and lose some.

Posted by: Better post anon ( )
Date: June 13, 2013 11:13PM

I worked in Brent Young's firm for several years. You are right, you will hear both good and bad about the ones who have done half the divorces in Utah County. But I'd certainly take him any day over MMB. Brent went through phases of going to church, but that was more than 10 years ago, so I don't know what his status is now. I think at the most he would be a NOM. His brother, who is in the same firm is totally out of the church. I think they're good guys. They took good care of us.

Posted by: schlock ( )
Date: July 04, 2014 08:50PM

Brent was my lawyer, and a damn good one at that.

We were fighting the "system", and in the end, still prevailed (on the points that mattered, especially my kids.)

He's very absent-minded, but I think most lawyers are, they just have too much going on in their lives to be otherwise.

He has an excellent working relationship with the other attorneys and the judges in Utah County (and some in Salt Lake County).

And he understands Mormonism, and its infusion into everything political in Utah, and is thus able to plan his responses accordingly.

Finally, I recommend you do as much of the grunt work (paper gathering and organizing, etc.) on your own, feed it to your attorney, who will then use it the best way she / he sees fit in court. Pay your attorney for court time, take care of as many of the myriad details beforehand that you possibly can. This will save you money, and more importantly, ensure that important details aren't missed in your case as presented to the court.

And finally, the 4th District in Utah is pro-mom, anti-dad, pro-mormon, anti-everything-else. Fight hard and smart and quick, right out of the gate. Hold NO punches in court! Your children (and you) will suffer otherwise.

Posted by: nothappy ( )
Date: June 13, 2013 08:46PM

DNA Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My ex used Marilyn Moody Brown. My divorce cost a
> lot, and I had something pending in court for two
> years. I went through three custody evaluations.
> All because of the bitch of an ex and because of
> Marilyn Moody Brown.
>
> That might have been a recommendation, other than
> I ended up winning in the end. She was a Bull Dog
> for sure though.

I had Marilyn and was more than unhappy. She did not return my calls and did not prepare AT ALL for the trial. Convinced me to agree to some amount that was completely unfeasable (not enough assets). I mean how hard is it to ask me to find out what my current assets are and their current value. I had recent appraisals that I attempted to give her info on, but she never replied. After that, I had to pay her to reverse the decision (another 2500.00) for her mistake. She told me she had made a supena for something and never did. I confirmed by actually going to the court and requesting a copy of all the records. I could go on. I left her and ended up with an attorney that got things done for 1/4 the rate and actually answered my questions, prepared a 1/2 inch binder with all my asset information even though that info was really only needed as a backup plan. Not happy at all!!!

Posted by: nomore ( )
Date: June 13, 2013 09:04PM

nothappy Wrote:
> DNA Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > My ex used Marilyn Moody Brown. My divorce cost
> a
> > lot, and I had something pending in court for
> two
> > years. I went through three custody
> evaluations.
> > All because of the bitch of an ex and because
> of
> > Marilyn Moody Brown.
> >
> > That might have been a recommendation, other
> than
> > I ended up winning in the end. She was a Bull
> Dog
> > for sure though.
>
> I had Marilyn and was more than unhappy. She did
> not return my calls and did not prepare AT ALL for
> the trial. Convinced me to agree to some amount
> that was completely unfeasable (not enough
> assets). I mean how hard is it to ask me to find
> out what my current assets are and their current
> value. I had recent appraisals that I attempted
> to give her info on, but she never replied. After
> that, I had to pay her to reverse the decision
> (another 2500.00) for her mistake. She told me she
> had made a supena for something and never did. I
> confirmed by actually going to the court and
> requesting a copy of all the records. I could go
> on. I left her and ended up with an attorney that
> got things done for 1/4 the rate and actually
> answered my questions, prepared a 1/2 inch binder
> with all my asset information even though that
> info was really only needed as a backup plan. Not
> happy at all!!!

dna and nothappy.. any chance I could talk with you
similar problem.. In utah county I can contact susan and give my info.

Posted by: Ex Mo Needs Help ( )
Date: July 04, 2014 08:37PM

I am in dire need of someone. Any more good suggestions?

Posted by: courtmonger ( )
Date: January 13, 2015 10:13AM

DNA Wrote:
> My ex used Marilyn Moody Brown. My divorce cost a
> lot, and I had something pending in court for two
> years. I went through three custody evaluations.
> All because of the bitch of an ex and because of
> Marilyn Moody Brown.
>
> That might have been a recommendation, other than
> I ended up winning in the end. She was a Bull Dog
> for sure though.

don't get reener. he puts a lean on your house. try Brent Young.

Posted by: xnorth ( )
Date: June 13, 2013 09:04PM

Brian Harrison. He is mormon, but he won't care that you arent. And he's good. Very good.

Posted by: cant today ( )
Date: June 13, 2013 09:05PM

xnorth Wrote:
> Brian Harrison. He is mormon, but he won't care
> that you arent. And he's good. Very good.

I would get referrals on this one folks

btdt

Posted by: xnorth not logged in ( )
Date: July 05, 2014 12:33AM

I second that. He's great.

Posted by: anononthis ( )
Date: January 13, 2015 12:34PM

xnorth Wrote:
> Brian Harrison. He is mormon, but he won't care
> that you arent. And he's good. Very good.

Brain Harrison... are you kidding

I can give you referrals if needed... run

Posted by: xnorth ( )
Date: June 13, 2013 09:28PM

Did you have a bad experience with him?

Posted by: MCR ( )
Date: June 13, 2013 09:36PM

Look, if you've got a parent-time order, you're going to get parent-time. Straight up. But you've got to get moving now, or you'll never get an order to get it done before summer's over--that's not biased courts or bad attorneys, it's just time and practicality. You might get make up time depending on the situation. But I can't see any court siding with religious camp. An order's an order. It governs the parties and judge.

If you want to change custody, and you've got an existing custody order. Well, that's another kettle of fish.

Date: July 04, 2014 08:54PM

Um, respectfully, horse bunk.

I had a parent-time order that was not followed by my ex for years.

When the courts finally, FINALLY, F I N A L L Y threatened her with sanctions of various sorts was when I finally started seeing my children regularly.

Just because something's on paper doesn't mean squat, unless it's enforced / enforceable.

Date: July 04, 2014 10:11PM

If you are denied parent time, call the cops, show them the court mandate, and have them certify the denial of parent time. Document each one. Those can be certified by a judge into contempt of court citations and can lead to jail time for your ex. You can also use them to leverage your case.

Also document the time lost. If you end up in court, your ex may have to give you make-up time for these lost summer days.

Good luck. A family member went through this with an ex and it was utter hell.

Date: July 05, 2014 01:14PM

Agreed.

But often what is legal, theoretical, court-ordered, is not followed explicitly by "the system".

My ex got away with a lot, I mean a lot, with "the system", until a judge finally had had enough, and started threatening her with real sanctions - that had some teeth behind them.

And my ex is very adept, socially, at cajoling people into her way of thinking. Much more so than am I. Plus I would say she is a narcissist. Plus she is attractive.

My fight to keep my kids in my life was the most difficult fight of my life, courtesy of my ex.

Just because something is on paper doesn't mean it will happen, or will be enforced. (Cersei from GoT would be my perfect example.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvB_qGhyg_k

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/05/2014 01:15PM by schlock.

Date: June 13, 2013 11:02PM

If you lost court-mandated parent time, you should be able to document the loss and go to court and get it restored to you.

A family member went through a similar situation, hired a puffy poodle and then had to hire an expensive pitbull to clean up the mess. That lawyer is in SLC. She is so mean that the ex's council literally cowered with his hands together on the clasp of his briefcase shielding his nuts.

She had him for lunch, but it was a very expensive lunch. In the end, the ex got steamcleaned and was unable to pull the same crap again.

Posted by: pewsitter ( )
Date: June 13, 2013 11:05PM

No Utah Law experience - but generally Family Law is not about winning and losing, it is what is best for the children. Family Law attorneys do not have a win/lose. It is based upon if they have good or bad facts. Many men are just cheap and will not hire an attorney. This one sounds like an easy win because the facts are good for the dad.

If you want to see you child(ren) then you need to hire an attorney tomorrow. If you are not willing to spend money to see you child, what kind of person are you? How you spend your money says what kind of person you are.

There is one other fact in family law and that is whoever is willing to spend the money, often gets what they want.

Good luck.

Posted by: laurel ( )
Date: June 14, 2013 01:04AM

Look up "Parental Alienation Syndrome". It can get worse.

Posted by: jong1064 ( )
Date: June 14, 2013 04:44AM

Mike Esplin

Posted by: goatsgotohell ( )
Date: July 04, 2014 10:15PM

The date on the original post is over 2 years ago... 5/8/12

Posted by: notamoinaz ( )
Date: July 05, 2014 01:00AM

It may be an old post but one poster's comment rang all too real for us going thru a custody battle with an abusive, crazy TBM mother of my husband's son "4th District court is pro-mom, anti-dad, pro-Mormon, anti-everything else AND the judge can and WILL just totally ignore the evidence of 5 neutral, profeesionals and grant custody to an abusive mom. It totally makes me sick.

Posted by: Not logged in ( )
Date: July 05, 2014 11:10AM

If you already have an order from the court, then she would be in "contempt of court" and can be charged with "custody interference". I think it is rare that someone is charged, but can be done by calling the police. It's a long complicated story, but my estranged husband had me charged. Good luck

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.